6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New to the group here’s my truck! (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51191)

Jakehaney August 18th, 2021 01:57 AM

New to the group here’s my truck!

I’m Jake and this is my new to me 1965 gmc stepside

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Lot of work to be done but my main focus is getting a new gas tank and fuel pump on her. I bypassed the fuel system with an electric pump and the engine fired and sounded good. When I first tried to fire her up stupid me poured 4 gallons into the tank and the tank has a rust hole so out with that.

Jakehaney August 18th, 2021 02:14 AM

Re: New to the group here’s my truck!

Also, could anyone tell me if my I6 is a 250 or what? I’m not going to pretend I know much about this truck! I’ve only really ever tinkered on old 70s enduro motorcycles when I was stationed in Alaska. Here’s a clue maybe? I look forward to getting some wisdom from you guys! Thanks.

Ed Snyder August 18th, 2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakehaney (Post 74486)
I’m Jake and this is my new to me 1965 gmc stepside

Welcome to the forum, Jake! I'm guessing your title might say your truck is a '65, but you definitely have '66 only grille letters. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jakehaney August 18th, 2021 02:25 AM

Hey thanks Ed! According to you guys decoding tool it’s a 65 or maybe I’m wrong?

LEWISMATKIN August 20th, 2021 02:34 AM

welcome to the group!!!! it definitely is a 1965. looks like at one time in it's life the grille may have been replaced--could be the reason it has the squared-off 1966 style of lettering.

Ed Snyder August 20th, 2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakehaney (Post 74490)
Hey thanks Ed! According to you guys decoding tool it’s a 65 or maybe I’m wrong?

If you look at

you will notice that all the VINs have "F" in the middle. None of them have "D" like yours does.
If you look at

You'll see that the first group has "D" (like yours) in the middle. To my way of thinking, this is the evidence you need to prove that you have a '66, not a '65.

Prowbar August 20th, 2021 05:36 PM

Hello there,

Nice truck. Canadian model because of the I6? What are your plans with the truck? Fully restore? Daily driver etc.

Welcome!

David

Jakehaney August 20th, 2021 07:54 PM

I do believe Ed has solved it, 1966 it is! and you say this is a Canadian model? I’d have to wonder how one got all the way to Alabama. I plan to eventually fully restore it I’m waiting on parts from LMC truck now most notably a new gas tank. The engine runs and sounds just fine I just had to bypass the fuel system with an electric pump tied into the battery feeding fuel directly into the carb. So a new fuel pump is in line and probably going to swap the carb. Any ideas on a new carb guys? The original one these came with are not available on LMC truck. I saw a edelbrock performance carb on LMC how do you gentlemen think it would work on my truck? I’d think fine but again you all know much more than I and that carb is expensive.

Ed Snyder August 21st, 2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowbar (Post 74502)
Hello there,

Nice truck. Canadian model because of the I6? What are your plans with the truck? Fully restore? Daily driver etc.

Welcome!

David

Starting in 1964 the inline 6 became the standard engine in GMC pickups, with our favorite engine the V6 becoming optional. And if you look at the last six trucks on this list

you'll see that the Canadian trucks had a completely different VIN from US trucks. The Canadian trucks were basically Chevy trucks underneath GMC bodies, complete with coil spring rear ends.

Prowbar August 21st, 2021 07:17 PM

Thanks Ed, I stand corrected.