6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Toolbox Starter Kit (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49698)

Jmclendon November 3rd, 2016 02:14 AM

Toolbox Starter Kit

Hello all,
In putting together a list of the things I'd like to fix/test on my truck, I've also started creating a list of the tools that I'm currently missing that I'm going to need to do the various jobs.

That made me a bit curious as to what you folks who have been doing this for awhile would suggest as a good all-round starter kit.

At the moment I've got some of the basics:
Socket set
Adjustable wrench [is it still ok to call them a 'monkey wrench'? My father always did LOL]
A couple of screw-drivers
A decent tire pressure gauge

So far, my list of stuff that I think I'll need is as follows:

Feeler gauge
Torque Wrench
Socket for Crankshaft (unless there's an easier/better way to turnover the engine manually?)
Compression test kit
Anti seize
Timing light
Volt meter
Fire extinguisher
Shop light
Extension lead
Jack and stands
Points file

Is there anything y'all think is missing? If nothing else, I'm just curious to know what other folks are able to get by with (And without).

FetchMeAPepsi November 3rd, 2016 02:58 AM

Re: Toolbox Starter Kit

You can get by just fine with a cheap wal-mart tire gauge. They're all within a couple of lbs.
Feeler gauge---------------Yes!
Torque Wrench-------------Not until you get into engine rebuilding
Socket for Crankshaft (unless there's an easier/better way to turnover the engine manually?)----------Never, ever had to do this on an engine unless it was a rusted out one in a field somewhere..
Compression test kit-----------Nice to have, but cheaper to rent from an auto parts store.
Anti seize---------------------Not necessary, but ok if you have it.
Timing light--------------------Yes!
Volt meter---------------------Yes!
Fire extinguisher---------------Or water hose...:)
Shop light---------------------Or flash light.
Extension lead-----------------Is this an extension cord?
Jack and stands---------------Yes!
Points file---------------------Eventually

It's extremely helpful to have a breaker bar/pipe, a crowbar, and a can of PB Blaster. Also a can of carb cleaner. It works on all sorts of things, not just carbs. You can't get by without it. Another helpful thing is a battery operated impact wrench. It's cheaper to go battery than it is to go air, but if you have the funds by all means get a 700ft-lbs air impact and a compressor to run it.

If you go battery, there's only one that I'd recommend in 18v and that's the Dewalt DC820. You'd think the 823 would be stronger, but it's not. The 820 is the only one I found that would power through alot of my jobs. I don't know about the 20v models.

You'll need a spark plug socket. They don't usually come in sets.

A grinder is useful too for those bolts/screws that won't come out at all.

These trucks aren't real complicated. You can get by with the basics if you need to. It just helps to have the extra power and lubrication occasionally for the really stuck stuff.

That's my 2 cents. I'm sure someone else will add to it.

Jmclendon November 3rd, 2016 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 64522)
You can get by just fine with a cheap wal-mart tire gauge. They're all within a couple of lbs.

Wal-Mart hasn't managed to storm the beaches over here just yet. I don't miss it much. But, there is a frustrating lack of variety over here when it comes to stores/products etc....

Quote:

Torque Wrench-------------Not until you get into engine rebuilding

We can add this to my list of dumb questions. But, I had assumed I would need this to make sure I've done the right thing with the spark-plugs?

Quote:

Socket for Crankshaft (unless there's an easier/better way to turnover the engine manually?)----------Never, ever had to do this on an engine unless it was a rusted out one in a field somewhere..

For a valve adjustment, I had assumed I would need to be able to manually turn it over? Or, is there an easier/better way? (I remember being told as a kid not to use the fan, as it could damage it? IE the fan's job is to be turned, not to be the turner)

Quote:

Fire extinguisher---------------Or water hose...:)

I don't think I could find one long enough to hook up to the house and drive to work LOL

Fun (and completely irrelevant) the standard fittings on water hoses over here are AWFUL. Cheap plastic things that don't screw directly onto the hose.

Quote:

Extension lead-----------------Is this an extension cord?

Yea, sorry. It took awhile, but I've been pretty well Australianized when it comes to some of the words I use now....
I've found the standard ones I get over here have a habit of over-heating.

I don't think I've ever heard of PB blaster? I'll have to track some down (or something close if it's not a thing over here).

Breaker bar - definitely added to the list LOL

FetchMeAPepsi November 3rd, 2016 03:49 AM

Wal-Mart hasn't managed to storm the beaches over here just yet. I don't miss it much. But, there is a frustrating lack of variety over here when it comes to stores/products etc....

Auto parts store then :)

We can add this to my list of dumb questions. But, I had assumed I would need this to make sure I've done the right thing with the spark-plugs?

No, plugs need to be snug. Nothing more.

For a valve adjustment, I had assumed I would need to be able to manually turn it over? Or, is there an easier/better way? (I remember being told as a kid not to use the fan, as it could damage it? IE the fan's job is to be turned, not to be the turner)

If you're turning the motor by hand to adjust valves, you're doing it wrong :helpsign:

Watch this:

I don't think I could find one long enough to hook up to the house and drive to work LOL

Just where are you planning on having a fire?!?!

I don't think I've ever heard of PB blaster? I'll have to track some down (or something close if it's not a thing over here).

PB Blaster is lubricant to break loose rusted parts. You can make your own penetrating oil using ATF and acetone. There's a recipe here:
http://gardentractortalk.com/article...b-blaster-r149

:goodluck:

GMCDAC November 4th, 2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 64526)

PB Blaster is lubricant to break loose rusted parts. You can make your own penetrating oil using ATF and acetone. There's a recipe here:
http://gardentractortalk.com/article...b-blaster-r149

:goodluck:

I'm just gonna add that Garden Tractor Talk is an extremely good forum, and the folks there are some of the nicest on the net. They have helped me countless times with my old garden tractors. My favorite non-automotive site by far. The specifics Utah Smitty put in there of various penetrating oils was some good research!

I might add that a battery charger would be a piece of equipment to consider, Jmclendon, while doing some of these tasks sometimes the battery might get drained like cranking the engine for compression testing.

Hijack done!

DAC

Jmclendon November 4th, 2016 03:03 AM

Quote:

If you're turning the motor by hand to adjust valves, you're doing it wrong :helpsign:

The guy in the video is very... excited, let's go with that LOL Informative though. Thanks!

He mentions that turning the motor over with the fan is also an option? The reason that I ask is I would prefer to be able to see what's going on, rather than doing the whole in/out thing from the cab. Something about blipping the key until the valves happen to be where I want them isn't sitting right.

Quote:

Just where are you planning on having a fire?!?!

No fire planned, but I'd prefer to have an extinguisher in the car, just in case. When I first bought the vehicle, there were exposed wires galore running through the firewall. Those have all been replaced. But, I'm a careful sort when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Jmclendon November 4th, 2016 03:11 AM

I've got a little trickle charger actually. Thanks for the reminder! LOL

GMCDAC November 4th, 2016 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is why a person should have a fire extinguisher in a classic vehicle. A beautiful 1972 Chevy Nova went up in flames on Oct. 15th here in Rapid City the night before the biggest car show in this area. I am guilty of not having them in my all GMC's (I have one in the '55) but am going to get 2 more!

DAC

Jmclendon November 4th, 2016 07:05 AM

Yea, I'm kindof hoping to avoid something like that. I mean obviously the hope is that I buy the extinguisher and never have to use it. But, for the sake of a couple of bucks and some peace of mind I can't see the harm in being cautious.

bobdylan November 5th, 2016 02:25 AM

Dwell meter, beer. and maybe some more beer.