6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rear Differential Type (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51695)

jamagana March 1st, 2024 05:31 PM

Rear Differential Type

Good morning
After some research I discovered that a 5 lug differential was modified to fit under my 65 stepside.
I am now trying to find one.
My question- Is there a difference between a spring and leaf spring differential?

AZKen March 1st, 2024 07:15 PM

Re: Rear Differential Type

1. Don't know what you have now.
2. Don't know what "modified" 5 bolt means.
3. Don't have pics.
4. Your truck had leaf springs in rear as original I think.
5. If the diff you have is some kind of donor, could be leaf, panhard/coil spring, coil spring, trailing arm, 4 bar or?
6. Don't know what you want to do, (I.E. "I am now trying to find one.") To ???: go to 6 lug? keep 5?, change type of spring? or if there is a problem somewhere?

Basic answer: any diff, with the correct WMS to WMS, can be fitted with some work. Mostly it's about fabing/installing various spring perches/ubolt plates.....
Can't advise until WAY more info, pics and goal.

jamagana March 2nd, 2024 09:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply. I will be more specific moving forward.

1. Not sure what diff it has installed. It is a 5 lug.
2. The diff looks like it had shock mounts modified.
3. Posted
4. Leaf springs
5. See pic
6. I would like to change back to the original 6 lug rearend.

AZKen March 2nd, 2024 10:35 PM

OK good. First thing is to find an original diff. If it is from a person parting out a truck or chassis, cut off all the shock mounts, springs, spring mounts and anything else that is available from the person. Then we can talk about removing and replacing. I'm not sure if installing 6 lug axles is an option with the donor you have. Sooooooo...Just start searching for a Dana 44. With correct dimension from Wheel Mounting Surface to Wheel Mounting Surface. Take off the diff cover to read the ratio and check pinion and ring teeth for condition. Sell the 5 lug $$$

jamagana March 3rd, 2024 05:08 PM

Thanks for the input. Time to find a differential!

Prowbar March 4th, 2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamagana (Post 77864)
Thanks for the input. Time to find a differential!

On the DANA 60's the GMC version is specific to GMC only. A Ford DANA 60 is different. I assume this to be the case with the 44's also. If you can't get the GMC version you would need to modify shock and leaf spring mounts possibly. Best to get one from a GMC.

AZKen March 14th, 2024 03:39 AM

You don't have to get a dana 44 as I may have indicated...or a GMC. Just a diff with correct or close wms-wms, lug pattern and ratio you can use. 10 bolt, 12 bolt...all good. Shock mounts and spring perches are fairly easy to modify if necessary. Welding will be involved.