6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Critical Electrical Parts? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49578)

Conklin September 3rd, 2016 02:39 PM

Critical Electrical Parts?

Interesting Hypothetical Question Here.
Living outside Washington, DC my neighbor and I were having a few beers and joking about how we would handle life if we experienced an electrical magnetic pulse (EMP) that knocked out electronic equipment. (Kind of incredible to think about the kinds of discussions we have these days!) I joked that we had a 62 GMC 4x4 and could "bug out." Made me start thinking about what might be affected and whether the truck would still be operational. Thought I would pose the question here - what electrical parts are critical to an old truck's operation - points, condenser, starter...others?

:ahhhh:

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2016 06:20 PM

Re: Critical Electrical Parts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conklin (Post 63476)
Interesting Hypothetical Question Here.
Living outside Washington, DC my neighbor and I were having a few beers and joking about how we would handle life if we experienced an electrical magnetic pulse (EMP) that knocked out electronic equipment. (Kind of incredible to think about the kinds of discussions we have these days!) I joked that we had a 62 GMC 4x4 and could "bug out." Made me start thinking about what might be affected and whether the truck would still be operational. Thought I would pose the question here - what electrical parts are critical to an old truck's operation - points, condenser, starter...others?

:ahhhh:

I haven't been around much lately, but this was one of the reasons I bought an old truck. Russia was getting feisty, things were looking hairy all over the place, and I had just read that most of our electronics weren't "hardened" against EMP. One single EMP could take out half of a city. USA Today said, "Could kill 9 out of 10 Americans". Just wow!

Anyway, the truck will still run if you haven't installed that HEI crap in her. All the other stuff is impervious to a typical EMP. Now that's not including any physical blast of course, but just the wave? No problem! :ok:

AZKen September 3rd, 2016 07:23 PM

Guess you guys never heard of a flux capacitor or a Mr. Fusion generator. Call Doc and Marty and get the schematics. You will need 1.21 Jigowatts using a plutonium-fueled nuclear reactor. All available at Ace Hardware.

Conklin September 3rd, 2016 09:05 PM

Hey AZKen. Hmmm...wonder if that would have an added benefit for torque?

AZKen September 3rd, 2016 09:54 PM

Consulted my Mattel Magic Eight Ball on that question. It said: "Ask again later". :hypnodisk:

bobdylan September 5th, 2016 03:32 AM

Interesting thread. Starting to take on a bit of Mad Max feel. The cool thing about that , was in road fury they used a 32 ford powered by a Gmc 702 v12 until they cranked it up to over 4000 rpms, and broke the crank, finished the movie with a v8 covered with a fiberglass v12 shell.