6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tailgate Color? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48765)

GMCDAC June 27th, 2015 11:44 PM

Re: Tailgate Color?

Hey Greg, I've got two long-time family member GMC's, a '70 K5 Mom bought in 1971 and a '72 C2500 my wife and I bought in 1979. I love these trucks dearly but they are the "red headed stepchildren" of the GMC world. The grill, headlight arrangement, front bumper and badging are pretty much the only differences between them and Chevy trucks. There was still roughly one GMC to every 4 or 5 Chevy's produced though.

DAC

1960HDGMC June 28th, 2015 01:04 AM

Hey Doug, That ratio explains why I rarely see a 6066 GMC in my area. They were kinda rare in there day I guess. Growing up, I had a neighbor with a 1969 GMC. He flipped it once, with help from grandpas cough syrup. Slightly dented the roof corner. He drove it home and used it for years. We hauled peaches in it and it would really handle the load. It was a tough looking ole truck before he flipped it. But jeez, that thing was tough as nails. I think it was sorta yellow orange with a white roof. I will see if I can find a picture of the truck. Good to hear from you, GM

GMCNUT June 29th, 2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58467)
Hey GMCNut, I am struggling with two choices. paining them on "Ghost Flame"style, or full on original sign painter style,as appears on the original picture. I just do not know about the vinyl. I am still researching that stuff. I may try that to see if I want to leave it on long term,or go ahead and paint it back on. Truck looks pretty good clean too. I have definitely decided that I don't know what to do. haha. GM

I think its worth having a conversation with someone local to Macon who does the vinyl wraps on modern cars to just see what's involved and how removable it really is, and what cost it would have vs permanent choices. Not even sure I would add it back at all since the truck looks great as is too....would be cool at shows and cruise ins either way.

1960HDGMC June 29th, 2015 03:52 PM

The shame is that the badging was all there along with the original patina paint until just before I got the truck. I would have saved a ton of money and time, and left it as is, if they had not sprayed pink primer all over it. I remember how cool this truck looked when it was still badged. I thought it showed real character, but most folks thought it was ugly, back then. Nowadays they pay extra to make one appear to have this much earned battle scars. "Its a big ole goofy world"---John Prine

bigblockv6 June 30th, 2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 58472)
Hey Greg, I've got two long-time family member GMC's, a '70 K5 Mom bought in 1971 and a '72 C2500 my wife and I bought in 1979. I love these trucks dearly but they are the "red headed stepchildren" of the GMC world. The grill, headlight arrangement, front bumper and badging are pretty much the only differences between them and Chevy trucks. There was still roughly one GMC to every 4 or 5 Chevy's produced though.

DAC

The fenders were actually different on GMC's from 1969-72 than Chevrolet trucks.:my2cents:

GMCDAC June 30th, 2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 58495)
The fenders were actually different on GMC's from 1969-72 than Chevrolet trucks.:my2cents:

Thanks, yeah I know, 67 and 68 Chevy used the fenders GMC used 67-72 I just felt that was enough talk of the years not pertaining to this forum.

DAC