6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48479)

1960HDGMC January 22nd, 2015 04:53 PM

Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Fetch, We found a set of springs that are current manufacture, and the shocks are NOS . We added the Timbren springs in case I haul any heavy loads. They ride free until loaded, so they have no damping on the empty ride.
I may approach the local tech school. They have a pretty good auto paint instructor. As good as the truck looks now, she needs her badging put back on. I gotta get it done. I want to say Mr. Grover told me they used Harley Davidson paint for the badging, as he had it on hand. He also said he used Harley Davidson oil in the truck. I can believe it, because that thing used to leave a puddle every where you parked her. Just like a Harley. Greg Mead

pautsch_gmc January 22nd, 2015 06:18 PM

What a very interesting thread to follow, sure i'm young but i absoloutly love the history and the stories that go side by side with these trucks. Keep up with the pictures and good luck with the rebuild.

1960HDGMC January 23rd, 2015 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pauscht, I too enjoy reading this forum. It is full of history and knowledge. I appreciate the fact that everyone volunteers there time and efforts to add stuff and answer my endless questions. You do not even need to have one of these trucks to appreciate the help you get here freely. But if you do have one it is just amazing. Here is a picture of an ad in French. I guess it says "these trucks Rock" in French. Can anyone you know translate it? Later, Greg Mead

FetchMeAPepsi January 23rd, 2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960hdgmc (Post 56616)
i can believe it, because that thing used to leave a puddle every where you parked her. Just like a harley. Greg mead

:lol: :lolsmack: :lolsmack2:

6066gmcguy January 26th, 2015 02:12 PM

Is it just me or does that spring look like it was heated to get the truck to sit lower?

1960HDGMC January 27th, 2015 03:42 AM

Hey Jolly, I suspect that they were. I know for a fact that the front Torsion Bars were cranked way back to drop the front. I brought the T Bars back to factory ride height and put new rear springs and shocks all around. I wish I could locate a set of 3/4 ton T Bars. They would be worn to the point that they are close to 1/2 ton factory T Bar specs. Except for the terrifying sway, the truck rides great.

1960HDGMC January 27th, 2015 04:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the front of the truck. Also, a picture of one of the few things that never came off the truck, the old HD of Macon Brass Badge that was glued on decades ago. I still have the duct tape with the enamel that came off when we removed it from the badge. Later, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC February 19th, 2015 02:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the cab floor. This is the extent of the rust on the truck. It was parked inside the Harley Shop at night. It has very little rust compared to many old vehicles from this area. The next pictures show the bed wood before and after finish. It is Bald Cypress and it is finished with "One Time" Wood Preserver. This stuff is 100 bucks a gallon, but it is guaranteed for 7 years in the sun on outdoor decks. It catalyzes into the wood, getting hot and stinky in the process, but it is baked in and bullet proof after a week of curing. There is no smell now, but it was the worst funk you ever smelt when we put it on. Later, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC May 31st, 2015 05:38 PM

In case anyone is interested, I have started an Album on this site. It Is al about this 1960 GMC truck. I think it is titled as "1960 GMC Harley Davidson Delivery Truck". There are a lot more pictures in the album. Check it out, GM

azlamm65GMC May 18th, 2016 05:37 AM

Awesome