6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Moving a non-op 3/4ton truck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50484)

ronn November 20th, 2018 06:35 PM

Moving a non-op 3/4ton truck

Being a non-op vehicle right now, I am looking at options for being able to maneuver it in the garage and drive. Anyone with recommendations for a 3/4ton truck... do car dolly's or wheel skates have the capacity and rolling ability with this weight? Any personal experience would be welcome! TY

James November 21st, 2018 10:36 AM

Re: Moving a non-op 3/4ton truck

If you have another vehicle to push with would work, if you have a rear bumper on your truck. I have done this many times. Not the greatest way but effective, just be careful whichever way you do it.

AZKen November 21st, 2018 05:37 PM

3/4T is not a monster truck. Just a little heavier than 1/2T. A google search will show you that the capacity, of even the cheapest wheel dollies, is plenty. There are many ways to move it. Push it by hand on it's tires, dollies, two jacks, push/pull with another vehicle or golf cart. It all depends on how frequent you need to move it , how far and why. Some dollies have small wheels. The smaller the wheels, the harder to push over rough surface, cracks, etc.
What are you doing to it and why do you need to move it so much? The bottom line is find a spot for it that it can stay in. I see in your profile that it is restored. So why can't it be started and moved? It always helps to have all the info. We may have other ideas once we know the issues.
In CA "non op" can mean it won't drive or it can mean you won't drive it on the roads.

Ed Snyder November 21st, 2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 70134)
Being a non-op vehicle right now, I am looking at options for being able to maneuver it in the garage and drive. Anyone with recommendations for a 3/4ton truck... do car dolly's or wheel skates have the capacity and rolling ability with this weight? Any personal experience would be welcome! TY

Wheel dollies, as AZKen mentions, will work well inside your garage, assuming the floor is flat and smooth. If you're trying to move it from the driveway into the garage, I've found that tying an old tire (without the wheel) to the front of the pusher vehicle or the rear of the vehicle being pushed works well. That avoids damage from bumper-to-bumper contact.

ronn November 21st, 2018 11:43 PM

Thank you all, i will get dollies for 1500lb/7000lb capacity with larger wheels with bearings. seems a bit of a waste except that i need to move it 5ft left to right regularly until operational.

...the vehicle is not restored, i am getting it delivered off a car hauler soon and need to negotiate a tight 75ft drive then immediately spin 90degrees against side of house. It will need to be moved away from house several times before i can get it operating (gas tank and brakes) then it can be relocated for further restoration.

AZKen November 22nd, 2018 12:55 AM

Roger, understood. Each dolly only needs to be 1/4 (plus a little) capacity of max weight of truck. Don't know what 1500/7500 means. 1500 each is 6000?

ronn November 24th, 2018 03:41 AM

Yep, 1500 is 6000 total, and that's why i failed math :banghead:

i believe i am overthinking this, just dont want to waste money if skates won't do the job.
Thank you AZKen and all for the help: and math lesson!

AZKen November 24th, 2018 05:05 AM

Not a lesson just wanted to see if I was understanding. If you have smoothish surfaces, they will work great. Post some pics when you get a chance. We LOVE pix!

ronn November 25th, 2018 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pics will be forthcoming!
Right now, its been removed from lot and at a tow yard waiting for a car hauler to contract with me to bring it out to me.