6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

WDShaffer March 16th, 2016 01:44 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

My dad is 75, mom is 82. Both honery as all get out...and 2 hours away. I'm feeling your angst about the distance. Imagine 3 generations under Cecilia's hood! Memories for sure.

Regarding the catalyst, if you have not found a solution yet. Pep Boys, Jegs, Summit will have exhaust tubing. A piece of that and a cheap stretcher from the import tool place, and you can fab up a filler to clamp in place of the cat.

aphaynes March 16th, 2016 02:10 PM

I know you and your dad will have a lot of good times! My folks are in there mid 70's and 10 hours away. I have been trying to convince them to move here, but they grew up in the town they are in and dad refuses to move. :( Glad to see you and your dad will be making the most out of life since none of us really know when our time will truly be up.

FetchMeAPepsi March 16th, 2016 03:28 PM

Thanks guys. I love this place :)

WD, will a pipe cause my computer to have a fit?

WDShaffer March 17th, 2016 02:27 AM

Nope. The O2 sensor is close to or in the exhaust manifold. Unless you have a fancy car with dual cats, and dual O2 sensors. Lots of YouTube videos on the topic I bet.

FetchMeAPepsi March 25th, 2016 03:39 AM

I hurt the baby today. :(

I was feeling the Cecilia bug and pulled her around to the garage. She needed air in two tires so I did that and charged her battery for a bit. Then I took her down to the school to pick up the kids. They were pumped
:teehee:

But then when I got back I thought, I have a little time! I'll see if I messed up that gear connection to the shifter and maybe that's why she doesn't stay in 2nd gear.

My thinking is that when I put the transmission back together I missed when I aimed the forks into the gears so it never truly sinks into second gear anymore. It just pops back out when I apply torque.

So I drained her new fancy tranny fluid. It was dark and probably could have used a draining anyway. Check out the cracks in my brand new paint job. What's up with that? I must have done something wrong. Best to learn my technique stinks now I guess rather than after I paint her all over. :(

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I took out the four bolts holding the tranny cover on.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Actually I took out three, then I had to remove one of the mounting bolts to get the fourth one out.

Then I fiddled with the big pepsi can looking gear inside. It seemed to be lining up OK with the fingers of the shift cover. I put it back on and that's when my world turned upside down. I tightened the cover and heard a loud POP!

As you can see I cleanly busted the entire ear off of the bolt hole on the transmission! AHHHHH!:ahhhh:

One of the bits of the shift cover wasn't settled in properly and it was gapping at the top (which I couldn't see from underneath) and when I tightened it down it popped on me.I wonder if I can weld it? If not I guess I'll be in the market for another one. Dang it! Horrible timing, Fetch! :bricks::poopfan2:

WDShaffer March 26th, 2016 05:15 AM

Regarding the paint, without seeing the steps in the process, it could be many things. A combo of thickness and weather when applied, surface prep.

Regarding the cover, I bet you can find one faster than learning the art of repairing cast steel/iron.

FetchMeAPepsi March 27th, 2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 61172)
Regarding the paint, without seeing the steps in the process, it could be many things. A combo of thickness and weather when applied, surface prep.

Regarding the cover, I bet you can find one faster than learning the art of repairing cast steel/iron.

Thanks WD! I put an ad on the website here. We'll see how it goes. I didn't see anything on CL or Ebay that was close enough to run and fetch.

For the paint, I did a simple clean with SuperClean, then wipe down and paint I think. I don't think I put primer on it. Learning as I go :)

How do you guys do engines?

bobdylan March 28th, 2016 01:03 AM

I would be tempted to put it back together using lots of silicone, grind a flat spot into your cover, use a longer bolt and a heavy washer big enough to extend beyond the break and catch the cover. I think the jumping out is more linkage adjustment, and worn bushings. Classic parts has the bushings.

FetchMeAPepsi March 28th, 2016 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 61198)
I would be tempted to put it back together using lots of silicone, grind a flat spot into your cover, use a longer bolt and a heavy washer big enough to extend beyond the break and catch the cover. I think the jumping out is more linkage adjustment, and worn bushings. Classic parts has the bushings.

I messed with the linkage till my eyes crossed. I can't see any way to make it stay in second any better. I'll try some more and see what happens. Tuesday I'm off but I have to take The Redhead's mustang in for a look see.

None of you guys are familiar with a 97-00 Mustang are ya?

azlamm65GMC May 18th, 2016 05:36 AM

Thanks for showing your build its helped me on mine a ton. Awesome

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2016 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azlamm65GMC (Post 61906)
Thanks for showing your build its helped me on mine a ton. Awesome

Welcome! I'm glad it helped. :signthankspin:

I think I've got a new tranny cover on the way along with some other parts for Cecilia from a good friend so once the boat's out of the way (another week?) I'll be back on Cecilia again :woo::yes::poopsign:

Today I went out and tried to find where my rear end gear ratio is stamped (and failed. How the heck do I find the gear ratio?) but while I was out I went ahead and changed the sneaky under-cab fuel filter. The replacement I used was the WIX 33271.

The Powder Puff is getting older so she was out shopping for groceries with her mom. The Master Mechanic came along today, complete with his Cub Scout cap so he could look like Daddy :thumbsup:

This sneaky filter is hidden here under the passenger side seat, hanging down like boobies on a boar.

Now I did turn the motor over first, to make sure the gas tank was dry. Because if you don't make sure the tank is dry.....oops! :ahhhh:

Guess she wasn't quite dry. About two quarts ran out and right up my arm!:helpsign:

The new filter came with a new rubber seal too. Nice! I put it on the rim of the cup that screws on. That was great, but I forgot to pull the old seal off so it didnt' seal at all. The old seal is probably stuck on the truck end of things and must be yanked off with a booger picker. (no pic of that).

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2016 03:21 AM

I quick changed out and mashed the filter on. Notice the glistening on my hand there. That ain't sweat!

Gas still poured. :lolsmack2:

But I got it all tightened back up and now she's ready for the next step along the way.

Yeah, it's a small update, but any progress is progress, right? I'm just too excited to get the transmission sealed back up again so I can move back to the Rockwell and the rear end, then por 15 on the whole lot of it.

Cayoterun July 3rd, 2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 62612)
Welcome! I'm glad it helped. :signthankspin:

I think I've got a new tranny cover on the way along with some other parts for Cecilia from a good friend so once the boat's out of the way (another week?) I'll be back on Cecilia again :woo::yes::poopsign:

Today I went out and tried to find where my rear end gear ratio is stamped (and failed. How the heck do I find the gear ratio?) but while I was out I went ahead and changed the sneaky under-cab fuel filter. The replacement I used was the WIX 33271.

The Powder Puff is getting older so she was out shopping for groceries with her mom. The Master Mechanic came along today, complete with his Cub Scout cap so he could look like Daddy :thumbsup:

This sneaky filter is hidden here under the passenger side seat, hanging down like boobies on a boar.

Now I did turn the motor over first, to make sure the gas tank was dry. Because if you don't make sure the tank is dry.....oops! :ahhhh:

Guess she wasn't quite dry. About two quarts ran out and right up my arm!:helpsign:

The new filter came with a new rubber seal too. Nice! I put it on the rim of the cup that screws on. That was great, but I forgot to pull the old seal off so it didnt' seal at all. The old seal is probably stuck on the truck end of things and must be yanked off with a booger picker. (no pic of that).

Pepsi: By chance, does you differential have a metal tag on one of the housing bolts? Many years ago a lot of them had a metal tag with the ratio, etc. stamped them hung on one of the bolts. They also got lost over the years, or gears had been changed, but not tag info, too.

Just a possibity????

TJ's GMC July 3rd, 2016 04:53 AM

Progress is progress! Real easy way to tell a gear ratio. Jack up the back end...mark the drive shaft and a wheel. Turn the wheel 2 revolutions. If the drive shaft turns under 4 turns then you probably have 3.54 or 3.73. If it turns more than 4 you should have 4.11.

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 62615)
Pepsi: By chance, does you differential have a metal tag on one of the housing bolts? Many years ago a lot of them had a metal tag with the ratio, etc. stamped them hung on one of the bolts. They also got lost over the years, or gears had been changed, but not tag info, too.

Just a possibity????

No such luck, amigo. I looked all around that sucker and all I have is some numbers stamped into the axle that apparently mean not much of anything. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 62616)
Progress is progress! Real easy way to tell a gear ratio. Jack up the back end...mark the drive shaft and a wheel. Turn the wheel 2 revolutions. If the drive shaft turns under 4 turns then you probably have 3.54 or 3.73. If it turns more than 4 you should have 4.11.

That's pretty simple. I'll give that a shot. Thanks TJ!

Charon July 3rd, 2016 03:11 PM

Pep. You kill me. That's all I will say.

Culver Adams July 3rd, 2016 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;62612]

Today I went out and tried to find where my rear end gear ratio is stamped (and failed. How the heck do I find the gear ratio?) but while I was out...

---
Hi Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches,

I'd like to side track your blog by asking a hundred questions and passing on twice as many thank-you remarks. A voice in the back of my head tells me to stick to the topic for the sake of your other readers. That means we have to get together for a ...hmmm... oh yeah, Pepsi. In the meantime, please consider the new gap in radio air waves, caused by Prairie Home Companion's changes, and see if you have the spare time to put Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches on the air, or into a novel, or on screen.

Back to gear ratio: following is from

which focuses on GMC and Chevy Advanced Design trucks.

--
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end
Date: 11/4/03 ?

?
To:

Jack up both sides of the rear of the truck.

Place a tape or chalk mark on the 12 o'clock position of a rear tire.

Also note the the position of the drive shaft and mark the drive shaft so it's revolutions can be counted.

Turn the marked tire one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft rotates.

It's easy to distinquish between a 4:11 rear end (one tire revolution equal 4.11 turns of the drive shaft) and, for example, a 2:73 rear end. It's harder to distinquish between close rear end ratios.

Therefor, it is best way to remove the differential cover, count the pinion and ring gear teeth and divide the one by the other.

--
Subj: RE: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/4/03

(Bruce Kettunen)
To:

If both rear tires are rotating the same direction, it is one revolution.

If one rear tire is prevented from rotating, it is two revolutions.

If one tire is held and the other tire turns, the spider gear in the differential causes the drive shaft to rotate at half the speed it normally would. This works the other way too. If you brake one wheel the other one will spin twice as fast. Don't try this at home.

Don't forget to put the transmission in neutral.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

--
Subj: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/7/03

To:

With a helper you can mark the tire and drive shaft and roll the car one revolution of the tire and count the number of turns the drive shaft goes around.

With two wheels up and positraction with both wheels turning the SAME direction when rotated the same applies.

With an open differential and one wheel on the ground, 2 revs of the tire and count as best as possible the number of revs of the drive shaft that is the ratio. (Example: 3.5 drive shaft revolutions is a rear end ratio of 3.5:1.)

Ed ke6bnl

--
Hope this helps: it's old information but probably still works (like Cecilia, me, and other stuff).

Regards,

Culver
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 62622)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 62612)

Today I went out and tried to find where my rear end gear ratio is stamped (and failed. How the heck do I find the gear ratio?) but while I was out...

---
Hi Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches,

I'd like to side track your blog by asking a hundred questions and passing on twice as many thank-you remarks. A voice in the back of my head tells me to stick to the topic for the sake of your other readers. That means we have to get together for a ...hmmm... oh yeah, Pepsi. In the meantime, please consider the new gap in radio air waves, caused by Prairie Home Companion's changes, and see if you have the spare time to put Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches on the air, or into a novel, or on screen.

Back to gear ratio: following is from

which focuses on GMC and Chevy Advanced Design trucks.

--
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end
Date: 11/4/03 ?

?
To:

Jack up both sides of the rear of the truck.

Place a tape or chalk mark on the 12 o'clock position of a rear tire.

Also note the the position of the drive shaft and mark the drive shaft so it's revolutions can be counted.

Turn the marked tire one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft rotates.

It's easy to distinquish between a 4:11 rear end (one tire revolution equal 4.11 turns of the drive shaft) and, for example, a 2:73 rear end. It's harder to distinquish between close rear end ratios.

Therefor, it is best way to remove the differential cover, count the pinion and ring gear teeth and divide the one by the other.

--
Subj: RE: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/4/03

(Bruce Kettunen)
To:

If both rear tires are rotating the same direction, it is one revolution.

If one rear tire is prevented from rotating, it is two revolutions.

If one tire is held and the other tire turns, the spider gear in the differential causes the drive shaft to rotate at half the speed it normally would. This works the other way too. If you brake one wheel the other one will spin twice as fast. Don't try this at home.

Don't forget to put the transmission in neutral.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

--
Subj: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/7/03

To:

With a helper you can mark the tire and drive shaft and roll the car one revolution of the tire and count the number of turns the drive shaft goes around.

With two wheels up and positraction with both wheels turning the SAME direction when rotated the same applies.

With an open differential and one wheel on the ground, 2 revs of the tire and count as best as possible the number of revs of the drive shaft that is the ratio. (Example: 3.5 drive shaft revolutions is a rear end ratio of 3.5:1.)

Ed ke6bnl

--
Hope this helps: it's old information but probably still works (like Cecilia, me, and other stuff).

Regards,

Culver
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

Hey Culver! How ya been buddy?!?!

That was great info too! Someone today emailed me and said "Hey, dummy. Take the cover off the rear end and IT'S STAMPED RIGHT THERE!"

Um...

I thought, well that's too simple. Probably never work. They probably stamped "Made in China" on mine, my luck being what it is. But since I was taking the cover off anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and change out that nasty gear oil that's in there too. Here's what I did:

First, I gathered all the players together. There's a large crescent wrench too, but I didn't have it for the picture. And the transfer pump isn't necessary either. Oh, and please keep in mind that I wasn't ready to totally re-do the rear end yet so I don't have the por-15, the de-greaser, and all the cleaning stuff. So yeah...she's not going to look much different, but it's what's on the inside that counts. Here in a few weeks we'll get in there and put the clean to her.

Tools you will need:

A large crescent wrench
A tub to drain old oil into
A socket wrench
A 1/2" socket
Two 1 qt bottles of Redline 75W90 Gear Oil (number 57904)
Some soap and water
A wire brush or a wire wheel on a drill (best)
Possibly a 1/2" wrench if you can't get to all your bolts
A stick for cat poo
About 30 minutes of time for you, about 2 hours for me.

First toss your bucket/pail/drain pan under the rear end like so.

Then if you're in a sandy area like me, get your poo stick or board and bulldoze the top layer of sand off out of the way so you don't lay your face in cat poo. It really draws the flies. :ahhhh:

Now remove all 243 1/2" bolts from the rear end, starting with the one clamped to the brake line (so you can move it around) and ending with the one at the very top (so it doesn't fall over on you and splash your purty face). Oil will begin to leak out of the bottom when you get those bottom bolts out.

Now take the final top bolt out and just pull it off like a mask on halloween.

And you'll see this.

But Cecilia has a few issues in here. See these gouges? They don't look factory.

Also she has one tooth that's broken off on the large gear that goes up and down. You can see it toward the bottom (actually the right because this pic is sideways).

I found it in the bottom of the case along with some more metal. Make sure you rake that bottom out real good and look for surprises.

Here's my stamps. I still don't know what kinda rear end this is.

That last pic shows a 4/12, at least that's how it looks to me. So reading it the way I think it's supposed to be read, it was built in 1961 and it's a 4.12? There's not a 4.12 so that makes no sense. :teehee:

Because my bolts were covered in nastiness I used this handy dandy metal bowl to wash them in.

I also took a wire wheel to the bolts to shine them up a little.

6066gmcguy July 3rd, 2016 10:34 PM

Looks like you'll be needing a new carrier and gears.

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2016 10:35 PM

With the bolts done as well as they're gonna get, I put the cover back on, starting with the top bolt and leaving the brake line for last so I could wiggle it around again to get to the bolt holes.

Now get your big fat crescent and pull this fill-hole bolt out.

Pull the top off of a bottle of this...

And glug glug glug! She's supposed to drink 1.3 quarts of the stuff. Cecilia drank 1 1/2! But that's because...

It was leaking out the front! Didn't I just replace this seal? What the heck?

Maybe not, but it sure seems like I did. Either way I'll need to replace it soon. The oil made it to the fill line (it started coming back out the fill hole).

So I just buttoned 'er up. And that was it!

It was interesting that I had a tooth break loose. I'm guessing that's what caused the gouges on the case thingy in there. I don't *think* it'll be a long-term problem since I got it out of there, but I might look into getting new gears in the future. That's not a pretty sight and I wouldn't want to go dragging anything too heavy with missing teeth until I've talked to someone that knows better.

bigblockv6 July 4th, 2016 12:17 AM

Looking at the pic of the ring gear numbers I see 47-12 not 4/-12:lolsmack2: So you take 47 divided by 12= 3.91666, in other words you have the 3.92 ratio. That's a real good ratio for a 4wd half ton:upyes:

Ed Snyder July 4th, 2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62627)
Looking at the pic of the ring gear numbers I see 47-12 not 4/-12:lolsmack2: So you take 47 divided by 12= 3.91666, in other words you have the 3.92 ratio. That's a real good ratio for a 4wd half ton:upyes:

3.92 was the standard ratio for the 4x4s in 1962. That's what my Suburban came from the factory with. It's got 3.54s in it now.

bigblockv6 July 4th, 2016 01:33 AM

Ed, actually the 3.54 was the standard ratio on 4wd models in 62, my father's 62 K1000 had 3.54 gears so the 3.92 was optional:ok:

TJ's GMC July 4th, 2016 03:43 AM

3.92.....seems I've heard of those. Were they are special order? Or was that standard on a 4x4?

Looks like a new rack and pinion are in store!

bigblockv6 July 4th, 2016 04:24 AM

The 3.92 were optional on 4wd models, most came with the 3.54 ratio.:upyes:

TJ's GMC July 4th, 2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62631)
The 3.92 were optional on 4wd models, most came with the 3.54 ratio.:upyes:

Little steep for towing, but it sure sounds nice! haha!

bigblockv6 July 4th, 2016 03:02 PM

The good thing about having 3.92 gears is you could install larger diameter tires without compromising much of a power loss:thumbsup:

Charon July 6th, 2016 11:37 PM

So Pep. Now two different problems to sort out. The second gear jumping out. And the nice looking d44 . don't feel bad. That rear problem is common on that rear in a truck. So first. The problems with the peanut. Two things most likely. Second gear coupling gear is worn. Or input shaft bearing is wonky. Now I don't remember what bearing you used. But the new replacement bearing for the 318 is not the same depth. Its .040 less. This causes the whole thing to move in and out. Probably this is what that knock you hear is from. So that's my educated guess. The rear. Well time for that powerlok upgrade. And a new ring and pinion.

Charon July 8th, 2016 04:18 AM

Oh the trials and tribulations of poor Cecilia. Now I for to thinking. Hmmmm I said. I parted out a few 63 gmc 4x4 trucks back in the day. Sadly better trucks than yours. But they are just trucks. So me being the absolute truck parts hoarder. Went and looked in the gear box garage. Now all sorts of gears go there. Hundreds of gears. Transmission gears differential gears. And guess what. A very nice 3.92 d44 set. With.... Drum roll please... A 1-31-63 date. I remember the truck. I drove it in. T case was toast. No good tires. In the 80's I could not get two hundred for it. So I ripped it to bits and sold all the good stuff. I always tore the frontends apart. The axles and spindles always made me a few hundred. So now Cecilia can get the ring and pinion.

Charon July 8th, 2016 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Crazy!

FetchMeAPepsi July 8th, 2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62627)

Well that makes a ton (half ton!) more sense! :signthankspin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 62628)
3.92 was the standard ratio for the 4x4s in 1962. That's what my Suburban came from the factory with. It's got 3.54s in it now.

Cecilia may have been a forest truck before joining a farm so it's possible she was just ordered with all the standard stuff for a longstepper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62629)
Ed, actually the 3.54 was the standard ratio on 4wd models in 62, my father's 62 K1000 had 3.54 gears so the 3.92 was optional:ok:

:boggled: I don't know what's standard, but I think Ed has some books (IIRC) that would tell us what's special order or standard. If it's Ed I'm thinking of. It could be anybody though, my brain is scrambled eggs with a drippy plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 62630)
3.92.....seems I've heard of those. Were they are special order? Or was that standard on a 4x4?

Looks like a new rack and pinion are in store!

Yeah, things aren't pretty in there. She still drives, but that's a scary scratch mark!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 62633)
Little steep for towing, but it sure sounds nice! haha!

I'm going to try to put the boat behind her once I get the trans cover fixed and see how she does around the neighborhood. That's 2000 lbs. Not hefty, but not a buncha nothing either. Might be a good tester!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62634)
The good thing about having 3.92 gears is you could install larger diameter tires without compromising much of a power loss:thumbsup:

Exactly what I plan to do eventually! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon (Post 62665)
So Pep. Now two different problems to sort out. The second gear jumping out. And the nice looking d44 . don't feel bad. That rear problem is common on that rear in a truck. So first. The problems with the peanut. Two things most likely. Second gear coupling gear is worn. Or input shaft bearing is wonky. Now I don't remember what bearing you used. But the new replacement bearing for the 318 is not the same depth. Its .040 less. This causes the whole thing to move in and out. Probably this is what that knock you hear is from. So that's my educated guess. The rear. Well time for that powerlok upgrade. And a new ring and pinion.

That's above my head at this point. You guys might have to talk me through that one if you're willing and able! :signthankspin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon (Post 62696)
Oh the trials and tribulations of poor Cecilia. Now I for to thinking. Hmmmm I said. I parted out a few 63 gmc 4x4 trucks back in the day. Sadly better trucks than yours. But they are just trucks. So me being the absolute truck parts hoarder. Went and looked in the gear box garage. Now all sorts of gears go there. Hundreds of gears. Transmission gears differential gears. And guess what. A very nice 3.92 d44 set. With.... Drum roll please... A 1-31-63 date. I remember the truck. I drove it in. T case was toast. No good tires. In the 80's I could not get two hundred for it. So I ripped it to bits and sold all the good stuff. I always tore the frontends apart. The axles and spindles always made me a few hundred. So now Cecilia can get the ring and pinion.

Hey! Now how about that? I bet it had a Rockwell in it, huh? Send me a bill and I'll see if I can scrape up the $$. Thanks Charon!

Charon July 10th, 2016 02:49 PM

Ok Pep. I have been looking at pics of the peanut rebuild. Two things caught my eye. First. One of the needle bearing set ups looked like it was short a few needles. Its the pic without the rubber band's. Second the 2-3 shift fork appears to be worn. So how bout you pull it out. And lay it all out on a clean bench. Then you can see what is wrong. And like I told you in an email. I will get the bits to you. And I am still thinking how to walk you through the rear end. Its a bit above your pay grade.

FetchMeAPepsi November 6th, 2016 01:03 AM

And the heavens parted, and lo, I heard a voice above me that said, "An SM318 in it's entirety awaits you, my son. Go forth, and repair your beloved."

Story: As most of you guys know I've been looking for a replacement side cover for Cecilia's tranny ever since I busted mine off being an idiot. They're hard to find here. I thought I had one sourced but the fella got busy I guess.

Then out of the blue yesterday I saw this sucker pop up and I jumped on it with both feet and growled a growl of satisfaction, like you do after finishing a whole plate of lipsmackin' bbq ribs by yourself.

As usual, life is in the way right now but this is the best news I've had on ol' Cecilia in a long, long time.

I also just found out my other truck has a no-compression cylinder so that's due for a rebuild (I'm learning stuff, eh? Remember page 1? :teehee::teehee:) and I have to get rid of The Redhead's mustang (butt pictured above). Too much work needs to be done on it so I just picked up The Wife a new ride and passed her old (safer) car down to The Redhead.

So...once the pony is gone I'm pulling Cecilia in the garage and putting her new tranny in. Woohoo! The whole kit and kaboodle is getting replaced!

:woo:

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 12:47 AM

Today I took my brand new transmission out to the yard and laid it in a bed of leaves. Why? Well it's fall of course! The only yard I have left is leaves!

Then I sprayed him down with Easy Off oven cleaner and let him sit for 2 hours.

Afterward I hosed him off real good and ran a scrubber over him to get the caked on yum-yum off.

After giving him another hour to dry off in the crisp autumn air I moved him to the work bench where I removed his tail section bolts. I also needed that hour to clean off the work bench :bricks:

Two of the bolts were missing, but as my feeble old mind recalls they're used to mount a bracket. I've got plenty of bolts so it wasn't a problem for me.

It also had a Chevy style bracket on the top. I just removed it. I won't be using that of course.

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 12:53 AM

This time I didn't have a vise to work in. I tore it up doing ball joints for my other truck. Not a fun job, but not as bad as you'd think. Anyway, I took this leftover 4x6 post from building my fence and stood it up edgewise. Then I drilled a 1 1/4" hole all the way through it with a wood bit.

Then I stuck my transmission front through that hole. It wanted to fall so I put a leg on it to keep it upright.

Here it is sticking face down, butt up in the air as I take the side cover off.

And here's the side cover as it came off. See how the larger fork kind of bends one direction? I wonder if I had that turned around on Cecilia and that kept him from going into second gear completely? Hmmm....

And here's a pic of the inside just in case I screwed something up in there :cheers:

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 01:01 AM

A couple more of the innard pics

With the side cover open I was able to pull the tail piece up and out

As it pulled out I heard that same sound that I heard before that freaked me out. It sounded like dropping a handful of marbles in the toilet.

Remember all those blasted needle bearings? I sure hate dealing with those suckers! Anyway, next I pulled the ring off of the gear inside. It just kinda quarter-twists up and then out the side.

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 01:13 AM

It's just a little round rubber band of a gear.

Showing the teeth. Say cheese!

Next came the coke can looking one.

I put them both on the tailpiece exactly as they came out to make sure I didn't mess them up.

See all them dang bearings? Grrr!

I used my magnetic pencil to collect all the bearings (again).

It also pulled out those little bearing holders.

Then on the tail piece there's this keeper. I used my newish tool for clips to expand it. It doesn't have holes to put the tool in, but you can wedge it in there and get it to expand anyway.

While holding the clip open I gently (very gently) tapped the gear sticking out the tail with my hammer. This walked the whole shaft out the front. I didn't bang it very hard this time at all. I learned my lesson when I banged the front one last time. Remember my bearing wouldn't fit anymore? I had to file it down!

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 01:23 AM

After about 4 or 5 bonks the shaft fell out the front. Here you can see it moving, notice the c clip groove is moving forward (to the left).

And here's a peek down the empty tailshaft! It's pretty clean in there, all things considered!

Now I knew the tail gasket was bad in the back so I wanted it out. It had water in it from my washing. So I went to pull it out like I did the last one with my crowbar. No going! It didn't budge. So I took my new pull hammer to it.

The seal didn't come out, but this little ring did! I don't remember seeing this on Cecilia's tranny. It holds the seal to the shaft!

I finally got it out by destroying it. I drove a screwdriver down the side of it and pried up.

And then I took that tailshaft outside to give it a good wire-wheeling. I'm a'gonna paint this sucker! :teehee:

It took 3 batteries and about an hour to wheel all the rust and gunk that was left over from the bath. I got it all done though. He's shiny as a new penny and ready for prepping. Here I ran out of time so the rest will have to wait a day or two. Here's a pic of the middle of the job. Very nice before-after pic, eh? :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 11:37 PM

All that wire wheeling left my tailpiece really clean! Or so I thought! This may be why my paint didn't stick really well last time I did this.

I took my tailpiece in to the kitchen sink (don't tell The Wife!) and sprayed it down with Super Clean. Look at the mess that was still on there!

After another 30 minutes of spray, wash, rinse cycles my towel started looking like this.

Another 10 minutes and my paper towel came away pretty clean. I rinsed it off again with the veg sprayer and let it dry for about 30 minutes, until there was no water or wet spots left. Then I hit it with Ospho to attack any rust and give the primer something to hold on to.

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 11:46 PM

You have to keep the Ospho wet by reapplying for 30 minutes so I did that. Then I rinsed it all off again with the vegetable sprayer and let it dry again for about 30 minutes until there was no wet spots left.

I was left with a slightly chalky white and black patina. I took that in the garage and put it on a football player's face.

Then came the super sauce. I swore I'd never buy this stuff because it was so expensive, but I found these tiny cans in a six pack for $43.00. Tiny cans, less waste, less cost? I had to try it out!

Did I mention these cans were tiny? WOW!

I held my breath, donned my gloves, and got to painting with a paint brush.

And wow, it came out very glossy black! I put two thin coats on, letting them dry about an hour between coats.

I ended up barely using one of the cans so I put a small sandwich baggie over the opening and sealed it back up with the lid. Hopefully the bag keeps the whole thing from sticking together so I can't get it open again!

And that was it for today.