6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

BarryGMC December 5th, 2013 07:27 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I always cut mine out from the inside. I just use a utility knife and I follow the metal flange that the seal wraps around. The seal is really thin there. Then just push it out top first. I pull old glass all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to do. I leave the old seal on the glass until I am ready to install. It helps protect the edges of the glass. Barry

David R Leifheit December 5th, 2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 51385)
When using a knife to cut the seal, be very careful with the point of the knife, if it snags the edge of the glass it could crack.
If you have never removed a glued-in window:
1) use a fine braided wire like a guitar string or piano wire
2) always apply force parallel to the glass edge, as any small bending or pressure force on the edge will quickly break the window
3) use a gentle sawing motion with the force applied towards the metal frame
4) take your time if you want to save the glass.

Since the windows on these trucks are not glued in (or shouldn't be) this should not be a concern.

Although it is good advice for windows on vehicle with the glued in windshield. Such as my old (long gone to scrap) mid 70's Pontiac...

David R Leifheit December 5th, 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 51386)
I can't imagine a knife would cut this seal unless there's a power blade on it. I'm serious about how hard it is. It's like a rock. from the description there I guess this isnt normal. I dont want to break the glass of course but maybe I can take a propane torch to it or something and get it more pliable?
Just thinkin out loud

Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.

GMCDAC December 6th, 2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51387)
I always cut mine out from the inside. I just use a utility knife and I follow the metal flange that the seal wraps around. The seal is really thin there. Then just push it out top first. I pull old glass all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to do. I leave the old seal on the glass until I am ready to install. It helps protect the edges of the glass. Barry

Barry is a lot more brave than me! I have a friend that owns a automotive glass shop in town and he is who I rely on when glass has to be removed, but with some patience and help using his cutting technique gives me a little more confidence now too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 51389)
Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.

I did a couple of similar repairs on my rock hard windshield gasket on my '55 GMC using standard black Permatex silicone. Permatex makes a clear "flowable" windshield silicon that is a great product. I discovered it by accident many years ago when I was looking for a way to make my own silicone coated sponge tires for racing HO scale slot cars. After that I have used it to repair numerous windshield leaks. See the link below.

I sure have to figure out posting links again now that I'm using Firefox!

DAC

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

FetchMeAPepsi December 6th, 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51387)

I'll look at the inside but I think its just as hard inside as it is out. More like hard plastic than any kind of rubber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 51389)

that's a good warning. i didnt think about it cracking the glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 51390)
I did a couple of similar repairs on my rock hard windshield gasket on my '55 GMC using standard black Permatex silicone. Permatex makes a clear "flowable" windshield silicon that is a great product. I discovered it by accident many years ago when I was looking for a way to make my own silicone coated sponge tires for racing HO scale slot cars. After that I have used it to repair numerous windshield leaks. See the link below.

i put some sealant in the ol cart for my next order. If its a small crack or something I can fill it with that for now and move up to a replacement when the time comes. How did you get that hard 55 gasket removed? Hammer and chisel? :lolflag:

FetchMeAPepsi December 6th, 2013 10:51 PM

Today I didn't do anything to my truck. She's covered in SNOW!!!

But I did get something in the mail from a fellow member! BarryGMC said a couple of weeks ago that he was sending a present. I figured it'd be a string of welding beads because my welding is pretty crappy but he said, nope! Just keep an eye out. you'll like it. :headscratch:

I waited and waited.. I paced the floor. I did a puzzle. I twiddled my thumbs....

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Finally it came today and after checking it (and grinning like a nut) I let the Powder Puff take over.

She carefully opened the box because I told her it was something very special that she shouldn't scratch up. Then she lost it. Daddy, it's a...it's a...It's a thing like "The Redhead" painted! Ooooh, it's so shinnnneeyyyy!!! (rub rub rub!)

I told her we should pose with them for a picture. she said, let me get them right. They have to be perfect you know because they're veeryyy speeecial!

I laughed and told her she should be fun with it. She said, Ok, I can just wear them like Cecilia does!

And this picture was born.

This was such a great surprise. We passed them back and forth several times just looking at them shine. For anyone that doesn't know these are the Custom style emblems. The standard ones, like I have on Cecilia now, are painted white. They shined up real nice, but nothing like this. Here's a pic of them in my fire glow. The reflection was really neat but didn't transfer to a pic very well.

All of you guys are all invited to come over tonight and stare at them twinkling in the firelight with me. Bring a casserole.

Thank you BarryGMC, you surprised two very happy grease-monkeys on a dreary cold day! We can't wait to get Cecilia's new "ear rings" on her. Stay safe up there!:yourock:

GMCDAC December 7th, 2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 51395)
I'll look at the inside but I think its just as hard inside as it is out. More like hard plastic than any kind of rubber.

that's a good warning. i didnt think about it cracking the glass.

i put some sealant in the ol cart for my next order. If its a small crack or something I can fill it with that for now and move up to a replacement when the time comes. How did you get that hard 55 gasket removed? Hammer and chisel? :lolflag:

LOL---I'm afraid the rock hard gasket is still in the truck! It had 2 gaps like David described that I filled with the black Permatex. So far I haven't needed to use the flowable stuff on it. My door gaskets are where the weather gets in the '55, along with a couple rust holes---. This gasket will stay in until I get more serious about bodywork on it.

Now how cool is that present from Barry? Not only great looking parts but Y'all are having fun with them too! They will be great on your GMC!

May I ask where "Edmond" is?

DAC

Rockdriller December 7th, 2013 03:01 AM

She sure is beautiful, Pepsi.
I have a feeling she won't let you get too sad. That's sure a happy face she's got goin' on there.
Me bein a Dad to three gals, youngest 26 yrs.....I sure have a natural understanding for how it goes for you.
For the most part....it's absolutely unbelievable.

But sometimes,....it's absolutely unbelievable how quick you can get your butt kicked by a few little girls.

BTW.....That's a "whole lotta love", Barry.

BarryGMC December 7th, 2013 03:53 AM

Great stuff Pepsi . That old girl needs some sparkle. And I really enjoy your enthusiasm . Keep it up. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi January 22nd, 2014 08:59 PM

Not a real update, but I need to pick up some wood so I slapped her back together a little this warm-ish weekend. I'll need to put the bed temporarily on this next weekend and instead of killing myself I ordered up one of these

It comes in 2 boxes and only one arrived yet. So far I have a crossmember and a buncha wheels and bolts but I'm pretty excited about gettin a new toy :D

I've been wanting one forever for picking up the bed and if necessary removing the engine for painting and fiddling. :bananadance:

Cayoterun January 22nd, 2014 09:38 PM

Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back on the truck:

That's one tool you'll never be sorry you bought. You find more uses for it, than you ever dreamed. You'll probably use it about as much as pliers, cold chisel, hammer, and cutting torch. Plus, the sore hip will love ya' for it. The "apprentices" will like it too.

Many years ago, when we got ours, the boys were small, and I heard little bro. squalling and yelling. Looked behind the truck. Big bro. had hooked the hook in little bros. belt and hoisting him to the sky. Little bro. was hanging on for dear life.
Had to take a time out for a little safety lesson, and stern attitude adjustment.

GMCDAC January 28th, 2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 51971)
Not a real update, but I need to pick up some wood so I slapped her back together a little this warm-ish weekend. I'll need to put the bed temporarily on this next weekend and instead of killing myself I ordered up one of these

It comes in 2 boxes and only one arrived yet. So far I have a crossmember and a buncha wheels and bolts but I'm pretty excited about gettin a new toy :D

I've been wanting one forever for picking up the bed and if necessary removing the engine for painting and fiddling. :bananadance:

Great score, Pepsi! I bet you are already wondering how you got along without one. I built a self leveling platform for mine to put stuff up on the roof of the office in my shop.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 28th, 2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51972)
Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back on the truck:

That's one tool you'll never be sorry you bought. You find more uses for it, than you ever dreamed. You'll probably use it about as much as pliers, cold chisel, hammer, and cutting torch. Plus, the sore hip will love ya' for it. The "apprentices" will like it too.

Many years ago, when we got ours, the boys were small, and I heard little bro. squalling and yelling. Looked behind the truck. Big bro. had hooked the hook in little bros. belt and hoisting him to the sky. Little bro. was hanging on for dear life.
Had to take a time out for a little safety lesson, and stern attitude adjustment.

Its been really warm for 2-3 days at a time even right after that polar vortex stuff blew down and froze us. If it hits 60, I'm outside doin somethin like this :superhappy:

Now that story right there is one of the funniest I've heard :lolsmack: I can just see "the Boy" squealing and hollering as the girls crank him up! I'm telling the girls about it right now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52042)
Great score, Pepsi! I bet you are already wondering how you got along without one. I built a self leveling platform for mine to put stuff up on the roof of the office in my shop.

DAC

Sad news Dac...The fold-away legs and frame portion got damaged in shipping by USPS (they say....) so they sent it back and now it's out of stock. Grrr!:pullinghairout:

Hoping it'll get here in the next 2-4 weeks. I'd like to see some pics of the self leveling one you have though. that sounds like a cool little toy!

I wonder if I can make mine do this:

GMCDAC January 30th, 2014 12:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52052)
Sad news Dac...The fold-away legs and frame portion got damaged in shipping by USPS (they say....) so they sent it back and now it's out of stock. Grrr!:pullinghairout:

Hoping it'll get here in the next 2-4 weeks. I'd like to see some pics of the self leveling one you have though. that sounds like a cool little toy!

Wow, they musta ran over it with an 18 wheeler or something! Hopefully they fill your order soon. Here are a couple pics of mine with the platform on it, but I must not have taken one with it jacked clear up. Got it folded up right now. I't not engineered perfect but it works well. My hoist came from Sam's Club.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 30th, 2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52068)
Wow, they musta ran over it with an 18 wheeler or something! Hopefully they fill your order soon. Here are a couple pics of mine with the platform on it, but I must not have taken one with it jacked clear up. Got it folded up right now. I't not engineered perfect but it works well. My hoist came from Sam's Club.

DAC

Thats the best peepover drive in movie theater setup I've ever seen! I would have had a blast with it back in my old hometown as a teen. Comfy seats, good movie, cozy blanket and a good lookin girl beside me.

Very cool setup!

IDK what they did with mine. It was just the tubing pieces, ram and hook. They would have had to drag it 30 miles down the road to hurt it. Maybe something fell out of the box? And they didn't tell me either, I had to call when the tracking number paused for 2 days.

I'll let you know how it goes.

GMCDAC January 31st, 2014 12:20 AM

Ha! It didn't dawn on me that the seats I was putting upstairs would be a way to elevate spectators to see over fences and such---LOL! Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah keep us posted on your hoist. I still find it odd they could damage that stuff too!

DAC

Hantke February 2nd, 2014 08:35 PM

Great thread! i've been reading a couple pages every day. probably been lurking on here off and on for a few months haha. Keep up the good work!
If you don't mind me asking a question (didn't see it as important enough to start a new thread) why did you go for the ford red as the engine color and chevy orange on the tranny / transfer case? i had always assumed that GMC and Chevrolet were both the bright orange engine block, like how ford does a lot of blue engine blocks, and Cummins favors red. Then again, i could be dead wrong!

FetchMeAPepsi February 3rd, 2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52077)
Ha! It didn't dawn on me that the seats I was putting upstairs would be a way to elevate spectators to see over fences and such---LOL! Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah keep us posted on your hoist. I still find it odd they could damage that stuff too!

DAC

Yeah! You can use it for stargazing or at parades from the back of the pickup too. I really like that idea. Snuggle time with the little lady :thumbsup:

My replacement should be here Monday. They called and said that the box was damaged again but the pipes were OK. They had to re-box it. I told them "really? it's just pipes! Just bring me the bits and I'll be happy." They didnt think it was funny. :(

Corporate America is way too sensitive sometimes. Too many lawsuits I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 52102)
Great thread! i've been reading a couple pages every day. probably been lurking on here off and on for a few months haha. Keep up the good work!
If you don't mind me asking a question (didn't see it as important enough to start a new thread) why did you go for the ford red as the engine color and chevy orange on the tranny / transfer case? i had always assumed that GMC and Chevrolet were both the bright orange engine block, like how ford does a lot of blue engine blocks, and Cummins favors red. Then again, i could be dead wrong!

Hi Hantke! Thanks for reading my mess. You gotta remember that up until like 1972(?) or so Chevy and GMC were different things. Competitively so!

I didn't paint the engine yet but the

says that ford red is the closest match for that and the transfer case. The transmission was painted a more orangy color like you see in my test pics.

The main reason for choosing Chevy Orange was my local shop's limited supply of engine paints. IIRC I tried four or five of their orangy paints and Chevy Orange was the closest I found. It still needed more rust in it to match properly but even so once it dried it was better than the chrysler I was leaning toward. The chrysler dried too dark.

I'm pretty happy with it. Custom paint is expensive, but I probably could have taken the tranny down to get the colors colormatched at one of those places that do that. I'd probably do that if I had to do it over. Even having paint numbers that arent "engine paints" would be a good starting point I think.

Now my wheels are turning again. I can't wait till Spring!

:cheers:

Hantke February 3rd, 2014 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52107)
Hi Hantke! Thanks for reading my mess. You gotta remember that up until like 1972(?) or so Chevy and GMC were different things. Competitively so!

I didn't paint the engine yet but the

says that ford red is the closest match for that and the transfer case. The transmission was painted a more orangy color like you see in my test pics.

The main reason for choosing Chevy Orange was my local shop's limited supply of engine paints. IIRC I tried four or five of their orangy paints and Chevy Orange was the closest I found. It still needed more rust in it to match properly but even so once it dried it was better than the chrysler I was leaning toward. The chrysler dried too dark.

I'm pretty happy with it. Custom paint is expensive, but I probably could have taken the tranny down to get the colors colormatched at one of those places that do that. I'd probably do that if I had to do it over. Even having paint numbers that arent "engine paints" would be a good starting point I think.

Now my wheels are turning again. I can't wait till Spring!

:cheers:

I'm one of those lurkers, i go from reading a forum for months to 50 posts a day for a year! i do really enjoy a well laid out journal though, so thank you for the good read!

I did like how the chevy orange was close in color though, i've seen both dark red and light green used on pumpkins and transfer cases which surprisingly looked really good (i'm not usually a huge fan of green).
I've already laid out the base plans for my build and i don't even have the truck yet! :lolflag:

My favorite is (I'm spacing the name of the company, not International or Navistar) a farm equipment companies dark red enamel, i rebuilt part of one of their combines and really liked the color. My plans are to run with CAT black enamel, CAT yellow is the best crack finder in the world if you need to find some cracks. (sorry, i'm easily distracted!) My main plan is to run with the dark red pumpkin and tranny (i'm assuming i'm getting a 2wd) with chevy orange block and i'd like to some how run a nice chrome valve cover, but we'll see when i get one... :yourock:

FetchMeAPepsi February 12th, 2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 52109)
I'm one of those lurkers, i go from reading a forum for months to 50 posts a day for a year! i do really enjoy a well laid out journal though, so thank you for the good read!

I did like how the chevy orange was close in color though, i've seen both dark red and light green used on pumpkins and transfer cases which surprisingly looked really good (i'm not usually a huge fan of green).
I've already laid out the base plans for my build and i don't even have the truck yet! :lolflag:

My favorite is (I'm spacing the name of the company, not International or Navistar) a farm equipment companies dark red enamel, i rebuilt part of one of their combines and really liked the color. My plans are to run with CAT black enamel, CAT yellow is the best crack finder in the world if you need to find some cracks. (sorry, i'm easily distracted!) My main plan is to run with the dark red pumpkin and tranny (i'm assuming i'm getting a 2wd) with chevy orange block and i'd like to some how run a nice chrome valve cover, but we'll see when i get one... :yourock:

thanks Hantke. You sound like you have this paint thing all planned out :thumbsup:

My next paint project will be the transfer case I think, and then the rear bumper. I got some Eastwood epoxy paint for the bumper that I'd like to try. I have heard stories about it being rock hard like POR15 so we'll see how that goes.

Oh and an update on the cherry picker, which another member on here bought right after me (you know who you are!), It ships with several lower grade metric bolts. So I'll be swapping those out for super-ultra tough bolts and thanks to the other member I don't even have to spend a week looking up numbers. Thanks Other Member! I'll post them here once I get them.

And my last part came in finally. It was all re-taped and nasty looking. It weighs about 100 lbs :ahhhh:

Remember a while ago I mentioned that my fedex driver is lazy? Yeah, he should be in a different position. Maybe one of the desk guys. He left the box lying right outside my garage door and guess what The Blonde did?
Vroom Vroom!

It wasn't damaged thank goodness. I still considered calling Fedex and complaining. I mean, there's like 15 feet of difference from the porch (safe) and the front of the garage (danger!). What the heck, Fedex?!?

FetchMeAPepsi February 16th, 2014 07:52 PM

This weekend was semi-warmed up enough to get the lift put together. I should have been roasting more coffee beans but I was finding no motivation. I wanted to play with my truck stuff.

I thought it would be a lot of hard work, but nope. It was easy. :thumbsup:

We laid out the parts

Like the instructions said we waved the jack handle over the parts three times, chanting "Lift and haul, lift and haul, lift and haul..."

And poof! It was done! :ahhhh:
Technology these days is amazing!

Oh, and Coyote? I blame you for this shot :poke:
She ran inside to get a belt like your boy but she didn't have any thick enough that I felt OK hoisting her by it so she rode it instead.
Powder Puff says she's riding her version of a broom off into the sky :lolflag:
Great fun!

Really though it took about 1 1/2 hours to put it together with wrenches. You need a 13/16 wrench to do it, which I didnt have so I used vise grips. And the wheels are different sizes. Small ones go on front. We didn't notice till it was put together so it took us an extra 20 minutes to swap wheels. But now she's built. I should be able to remove and remount my bed at will now I think. Easy peasy for when I have to run to Lowes for stuff or get firewood.

Sometimes I get in a hurry anyway

Foley, I havent got my extra bolts yet but I'll make a trip to Tractor Supply in the next couple of weeks so I'll look then.

Heres the bolt list:

FetchMeAPepsi February 16th, 2014 11:18 PM

Well it looks like I can get SAE (standard, not metric) bolts at BoltDepot.com in grade 8 zinc plated for about 38.00 shipped.

I used.

Why upgrade the bolts?
The bolts that come with it are Grade 1 equivalent metric 4.6 bolts.

The strength for bolts this size in grade 2 bolts is 11033 pounds. That puts the safety shear strength (/3) at 3677 lbs. Not 2 tons (4000 lbs).

(strength of bolts from

if you wanna get into the meat and potatoes of the figures)

And that's grade 2 bolts. Grade 1? I dunno. I couldn't find a good chart that showed it.

Grade 8 is about 7455 pounds. How heavy is your entire truck? :saywhat:

ARR ARR ARR!

I'll post part numbers when they get here and I make sure they work OK.

Foley February 17th, 2014 12:57 AM

I too had been dabbling around with the idea of getting a shop crane/cherry picker. About the time I was doing the shopping, Fetch ordered his and it wasn' much more than a week later that I decided to also order the 2 ton Harbor Freight Deluxe Racing Shop Crane. It should do everything I need it to do with heavy "stuff" including big tractor wheels, small engines, my Aunt Bertha and I figure it would probably move a 305E if you were careful. Harbor Freight was also offering the "Once in a life Time Sale", and I also found a 25% off coupon, so there ya go. Bout $170 out the door.

The steel framing and the welds and the fact that it has cast steel wheels instead of rubber/plastic are all a plus for that price, but I wasn't real happy with the low grade bolts. I mentioned this to Fetch while he was quietly waiting for his damaged box of parts to be replaced. So I went on a search for some higher grade metric bolts. Many of the assembly bolts are metric grade 4.8 and a few of the bigger ones are metric grade 8.8. So I figured to bump them all up to 8.8 and 10.9 respectfully. I found the info I wanted on a metric grade chart that lists their stensil strength. I don't know much about "stensil", but I'm all about having "strength" for this project. After many days of looking I can tell you that these bolts are NOT to be found at Ace Hardware nor NAPA nor Home Depot nor Lowes nor Tractor Supply. But I did find all that I wanted and more by going to

. They have it all. Sizes, strengths, different plating and fairly cheap shipping. I ordered up a replacement batch of all thirty four bolts and it came to about $50. Since the colors of this Racing Shop Crane are Grey and black, I went for a complete set of flat black coated racing bolts, and got some lock washers for the set, as none come with the Harbor Freight package.

There is one more thing I changed somewhat, and if I can ever figure out how to post decent pictures, I'll chime in and show you. It's a feature that would enhance any decent Racing Shop Crane. In conclusion I'll say it's really a sad thing to let a persons mind flounder around on a 4 day rainy stretch with no project to focus on. Look what happens.

Cayoterun February 18th, 2014 10:14 PM

Hang on, Powder Puff!!!

No joke, after the initial do's and don'ts stern training for safety's sake, they can find more ways to entertain themselves than you can shake a stick at. Our rider lawnmower, welding bench, or anything else not bolted to the floor has gone airborne.

The truck is coming along well. Congrats

Rockdriller February 19th, 2014 04:56 AM

I'm all about "more is better" and all that....
But the shear strength of the factory bolts on that hoist are so much more than the rated design calls for that I might have spent the cash on something a little more rewarding.

The bolts that are used on the lift cylinder (both top and bottom) require the highest shear rating of any other on the hoist. Because of the application, the shear requirements are cut in half (it is exposed to shear effects twice, once on each side of the cylinder ram) so we can double the rated capacity for a safe working load.

Theres always some smart guy just waiting for a chance to armchair engineer yer project.......aint there.

But of course, when using the lift for hoisting personnel, the safety factor is X4 of the calculated SWL.......so I'm not even sure if grade eight is enough for the Powder Puff pick.

FetchMeAPepsi February 20th, 2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 52259)
Hang on, Powder Puff!!!

No joke, after the initial do's and don'ts stern training for safety's sake, they can find more ways to entertain themselves than you can shake a stick at. Our rider lawnmower, welding bench, or anything else not bolted to the floor has gone airborne.

The truck is coming along well. Congrats

I can see things heading that way! :ahhhh:
I'll be pulling my 305E off the trailer in a couple of days. After that I'll be looking for new and innovative ways to get into trouble :yeeuh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 52245)
I too had been dabbling around with the idea of getting a shop crane/cherry picker. About the time I was doing the shopping, Fetch ordered his and it wasn' much more than a week later that I decided to also order the 2 ton Harbor Freight Deluxe Racing Shop Crane. It should do everything I need it to do with heavy "stuff" including big tractor wheels, small engines, my Aunt Bertha and I figure it would probably move a 305E if you were careful. Harbor Freight was also offering the "Once in a life Time Sale", and I also found a 25% off coupon, so there ya go. Bout $170 out the door.

The steel framing and the welds and the fact that it has cast steel wheels instead of rubber/plastic are all a plus for that price, but I wasn't real happy with the low grade bolts. I mentioned this to Fetch while he was quietly waiting for his damaged box of parts to be replaced. So I went on a search for some higher grade metric bolts. Many of the assembly bolts are metric grade 4.8 and a few of the bigger ones are metric grade 8.8. So I figured to bump them all up to 8.8 and 10.9 respectfully. I found the info I wanted on a metric grade chart that lists their stensil strength. I don't know much about "stensil", but I'm all about having "strength" for this project. After many days of looking I can tell you that these bolts are NOT to be found at Ace Hardware nor NAPA nor Home Depot nor Lowes nor Tractor Supply. But I did find all that I wanted and more by going to

. They have it all. Sizes, strengths, different plating and fairly cheap shipping. I ordered up a replacement batch of all thirty four bolts and it came to about $50. Since the colors of this Racing Shop Crane are Grey and black, I went for a complete set of flat black coated racing bolts, and got some lock washers for the set, as none come with the Harbor Freight package.

There is one more thing I changed somewhat, and if I can ever figure out how to post decent pictures, I'll chime in and show you. It's a feature that would enhance any decent Racing Shop Crane. In conclusion I'll say it's really a sad thing to let a persons mind flounder around on a 4 day rainy stretch with no project to focus on. Look what happens.

Thanks for all the rainy day footwork Foley! I went with SAE bolts instead because most of my tools are that. I think we made good choices and I'll sure feel better when I'm lifting heavier stuff after this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdriller (Post 52261)
I'm all about "more is better" and all that....
But the shear strength of the factory bolts on that hoist are so much more than the rated design calls for that I might have spent the cash on something a little more rewarding.

The bolts that are used on the lift cylinder (both top and bottom) require the highest shear rating of any other on the hoist. Because of the application, the shear requirements are cut in half (it is exposed to shear effects twice, once on each side of the cylinder ram) so we can double the rated capacity for a safe working load.

Theres always some smart guy just waiting for a chance to armchair engineer yer project.......aint there.

But of course, when using the lift for hoisting personnel, the safety factor is X4 of the calculated SWL.......so I'm not even sure if grade eight is enough for the Powder Puff pick.

I read that the max load for safety is /3 for shear and that ends up being about 300 lbs shy of the max load of the picker, that's why I was pretty sure Id want my bolts upgraded. Plus this is probably all chinese junk and you never know what youre getting there. I might not have *had* to do it, but for $38.00 I know that the frame will bend before the bolts do. That gives me a little piece of mind especially with the Powder Puff working right along with me so often. I just don't want to worry about her getting hurt. (Ever! but I'm paranoid :teehee:)

Maybe youre right about going to grade 100 or something! :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi February 20th, 2014 12:54 AM

This weekend we dragged the new picker, who we now call ol' Max, (Maximum lift!) out and put the bed on Cecilia to get some wood and lowes supplies. His reach isn't quite long enough to load the bed from the rear, so we did a kinda side loading, then a rear lift to settle it over that hugely high bumper.

First we jacked it up then backed Cecilia next to it.

Then we scooted Max closer to Cecilia and let the front settle down, with the back resting on the bumper fins.

Finally we tied Max to the back of the bed and lifted it over the fins and settled it in. It looks pretty easy here (Powder puff is doing all the work, right?!) but it took us about 2 hours total.

It's sitting in place now waiting on another good day for me to bolt it down.

You might be saying, "Hey Fetch! What are you doing? You're going backwards!" but really we just need to use her for a few runs and then the bed will come back off. Remember, I have new white oak slats to put in there!

Cayoterun February 20th, 2014 03:28 AM

Hey, Fetch: You make me feel young again, and when my kids were the size of yours. Those younguns' will talk about spending that time with you and "Cec" when they have kids their age now. I bet the time you and they spent together will make memories that will last a lifetime. Plus what they learn from the experience will amaze you in their everyday life later on.
You have a great project going there in more ways than fixin' a truck.
Thanks for letting us ride along, and keep up the good work.
It's a fun ride for all of us.

GMCDAC February 27th, 2014 02:18 AM

Hi Fetch, I'm glad you and the "Powder Puff" are giving "Max" a workout! It is great that your weather is slowly improving so you guys can work outside again. Below zero at night again here and the high Saturday is supposed to be a whopping -3*!

I really dig that back bumper! I am going to try to build a similar one for my '55.

Keep the updates coming!---DAC

tommyduncan February 28th, 2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 52272)
Hey, Fetch: You make me feel young again, and when my kids were the size of yours. Those younguns' will talk about spending that time with you and "Cec" when they have kids their age now. I bet the time you and they spent together will make memories that will last a lifetime. Plus what they learn from the experience will amaze you in their everyday life later on.

Well said. I am basically reading this because my gramps had a 65...

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 52272)

I'm glad we can spark those memories for you Coyote. One of the things I say when I'm gathering my "crew" to go fiddle with Cecilia is "C'mon munchkins! Lets go make some memories and see if Daddy looses an arm today!" :lolflag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52332)
Hi Fetch, I'm glad you and the "Powder Puff" are giving "Max" a workout! It is great that your weather is slowly improving so you guys can work outside again. Below zero at night again here and the high Saturday is supposed to be a whopping -3*!

I really dig that back bumper! I am going to try to build a similar one for my '55.

Keep the updates coming!---DAC

Man I don't know how you guys do it in -? degree weather! I keep sayin once it hits 60 degrees I freeze up, and some guys think I'm kidding, but its true! BRRR!!!! :ahhhh: Then again, when it's 120 outside with 90% humidity I'm still havin fun turning wrenches or messing with the yard. Heat don't really bother me at all, but that cold...yikes!

My bumper is a real cow catcher, isn't it? I wish it had fold down fins though. Getting the bed over those is very tough. I worry how I'll get it put on after it's painted etc. without tearing things up. :headscratch: Other than that I really like it too. It's tough as nails. Never have to worry about it breaking on me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 52341)
Well said. I am basically reading this because my gramps had a 65...

Pics or it didn't happen, Tommy! :evil:

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 03:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We had a semi-nice day the other day so we sneaked out and fired up ol' max again. I've had a 305E with ps pump and something else on it under a tarp on my trailer for almost a year now. I need the trailer so I needed to get the engine off.

It's over gravel though so I had to hook a come-along on ol' Max to get him to move backwards after hooking the motor on. Even then it dug some nice furrows.

Oh, and if any of you guys get a Max (or an Arnold, hey Foley!:thumbsup: ) make sure you push these little pins on all the way. We lost one moving Max over the trailer because I just pushed them on to the first click.

Afterward we all played with some old steel toys I bought on Ebay. Notice that truck the Powder puff is filling with rocks? Yeah, it's a baby Cecilia! :yeeuh::yeeuh::yeeuh:

WDShaffer February 28th, 2014 03:32 PM

By the Time you get to painting, you will have figured out how to make nice bolt on bumper brackets so you can remove that bumper.

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 52346)
By the Time you get to painting, you will have figured out how to make nice bolt on bumper brackets so you can remove that bumper.

That behemoth is welded on now but maybe I can drill through the welded on spots and the frame and bolt it together, then cut the welds with a grinder. I'm sure it will fall off and crush me just for kicks. You only live once, right!:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi March 21st, 2014 05:52 AM

Hey there guys and gals!

Have ya ever had a problem? I mean a real problem? One that wouldn't solve itself? Sure you have! And Ol' Marty McSales is here to help!

Have ya ever been out with your sweety. Maybe you're on a date, or maybe you just picked her up from a bus stop. Who knows? So ya look over at her sittin there in your brand new GMC truck and you think, Hmm...If the door opens, she's gonna run away!

How are ya gonna fix that? :ahhhh:

Ol' Marty knows how! And I'm gonna show you too!

Don't ask how much, just take a look at what we have here for you today. It's a brand new Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device! Patent Pending :woo:

You might look at this beeeauuuutiful piece of high-tech equipment and say to yourself, "Marty, how can I afford such a device? It must be thousands of dollars?"
Not to fear, mi amigo! Ol' Marty's your friend! :tiphat: Don't worry about the cost, worry about how much you're going to save by not having to pick up a new sweety at the next bus stop, train station, or truck stop!

I know, I know, you're thinkin even if you get one you still have to worry about installation, right? Nope! Our trained installers will come out and install these kidnap-I mean safety restraining devices right in your driveway!

So you wanna do it yourself? That's OK too! You can $ave $ave $ave!

You'll need a 5/8" socket, a 11/16" wrench, and our handy dandy safety device.

Step one, push your seat as far forward as you can and move the seatback forward. Then locate the bolt to your existing seatbelt in the middle.

Step two, grab your 11/16" wrench and crawl under your truck. Find the underneath nut for the bolt you found in the cab. It looks like this.

Put the wrench on it and push it to the side. Not this side, the other side!

Go back up top and use your 5/8" socket on the bolt running through your seatbelt. Take it all the way out and let your washers, nut, etc. fall down underneath the truck.

So you broke your lock washer like this one too? Well that's OK! Your new Sweety Saver comes with a new lockwasher! Didn't I tell ya ol' Marty had your back? :buttkick:

Now take your new device and mate the hole up with your old device like this.

Then put the bolt back through the holes

Put the washer, lockwasher, and nut back on, hold it with the wrench propped against the bottom of the cab, and tighten the bolt back down.

Then repeat the process for the other side of the buckle and that's it! You're all ready to go without worrying about your sweety escaping, er... I mean being prematurely released!

Stay tuned and see our latest sweety acquisition device, the Sweety Head Petter!

Also available in Women's models!

GMCDAC March 22nd, 2014 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52348)
That behemoth is welded on now but maybe I can drill through the welded on spots and the frame and bolt it together, then cut the welds with a grinder. I'm sure it will fall off and crush me just for kicks. You only live once, right!:thumbsup:

Hey all you gotta do is hook Max to the behemoth and it won't crush you! Then you can spend a fortune and send it to me!-LOL! Would you want some pics of bolt on brackets? The bumper I am going to convert to look more like yours came off a '64 Chevy pickup so frame rail configuration may be the same.

That's a cool and entertaining writeup on the seat belt install. Thanks. I should probably put some in the '55 but haven't gotten to that yet. It actually has some old military surplus aircraft belts in it with a 1959 date printed on them but the floor mounts aren't reinforced well enough to use where they are bolted to the cab floor.

Later---DAC

Vernski March 22nd, 2014 10:14 AM

I always get a chuckle reading your posts Pepsi but I really enjoy your munchkin helper she will have those memory's all her life and that's just so cool to think about. My Daughter grew up at a time when it was not possible
to do that because her mom was very negative about my hobby. You are a lucky man Pepsi and I envy that with pride. Also wanted to thank you for the help with my mac and the up side down picture you had the right answer...Vernski:thumbsup:

Culver Adams March 22nd, 2014 06:22 PM

Hello Fetch,

When snow fell the day after other-rides-and-projects wood splitter (forgot her given name, though you may have called her what I call all my welding projects, "Daily Grind") got coat number eight of hand rubbed candy apple lacquer and you headed to the wood lot, I figured we wouldn't hear much of Cecilia for a week or two while Fetch and the youngsters gathered Kansas wood for fireside stories. Then, after a couple of months into the winter of winters, rumors began circulating: Fetch was spending every daylight hour trying to keep his pipes from freezing. Whew, it's a relief that you and the Powder Puff found time to dig out from the snowdrifts, create Ol' Marty McSales, and do your piece on, "Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device". I've read it three times and am still laughing out loud. Thank you--for your past writing/illustrating, for this piece, and for the alertness jolt I get anticipating your next creation. (If I didn't say I've learned a ton of truck stuff and been inspired, I should have.)

Regards,
Culver Adams
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

FetchMeAPepsi March 23rd, 2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52558)
Hey all you gotta do is hook Max to the behemoth and it won't crush you! Then you can spend a fortune and send it to me!-LOL! Would you want some pics of bolt on brackets? The bumper I am going to convert to look more like yours came off a '64 Chevy pickup so frame rail configuration may be the same.

That's a cool and entertaining writeup on the seat belt install. Thanks. I should probably put some in the '55 but haven't gotten to that yet. It actually has some old military surplus aircraft belts in it with a 1959 date printed on them but the floor mounts aren't reinforced well enough to use where they are bolted to the cab floor.

Later---DAC

YES!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Pics of the brackets would help a bunch! No rush, I'm not really excited about tearing the bumper off, but if it does give me trouble I might need to.

1959 seatbelts, :jaw-dropping: I bet those are awesome! Neat thing about seatbelts is they last forever. You might be able to put a steel plate on the bottom, kinda like a brace bar to get your seatbelts to stick safely. I've seen steel flat bars that would blend really well if they were shaped on the ends and welded on thickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 52561)
I always get a chuckle reading your posts Pepsi but I really enjoy your munchkin helper she will have those memory's all her life and that's just so cool to think about. My Daughter grew up at a time when it was not possible
to do that because her mom was very negative about my hobby. You are a lucky man Pepsi and I envy that with pride. Also wanted to thank you for the help with my mac and the up side down picture you had the right answer...Vernski:thumbsup:

Yay we got the pics fixed! Sorry about the wife problems. I've been there and it ain't easy. I did it little by little and even now The Blonde gets irritated from time to time. "Honey, that's about enough of the other woman out there" she says lol. I think it's just part of being married. Hills and valleys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 52568)
Hello Fetch,

When snow fell the day after other-rides-and-projects wood splitter (forgot her given name, though you may have called her what I call all my welding projects, "Daily Grind") got coat number eight of hand rubbed candy apple lacquer and you headed to the wood lot, I figured we wouldn't hear much of Cecilia for a week or two while Fetch and the youngsters gathered Kansas wood for fireside stories. Then, after a couple of months into the winter of winters, rumors began circulating: Fetch was spending every daylight hour trying to keep his pipes from freezing. Whew, it's a relief that you and the Powder Puff found time to dig out from the snowdrifts, create Ol' Marty McSales, and do your piece on, "Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device". I've read it three times and am still laughing out loud. Thank you--for your past writing/illustrating, for this piece, and for the alertness jolt I get anticipating your next creation. (If I didn't say I've learned a ton of truck stuff and been inspired, I should have.)

Regards,
Culver Adams
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Culver I'm happy to entertain a true troubadour! I kinda tried something different with Marty McSales, but it was fun :woo:

We call the woodsplitter the "log dog" now. I can't remember if it's always had that name, but that's the one that stuck. She got used again a couple of weeks ago splitting some cottonwood that the neighbors donated to her feeding dish. Still working great :cutwood: :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading :tiphat:

:takethat::takethat::takethat::takethat:
This is kinda unrelated but I uploaded a video for you guys havin trouble uploading pictures. It might make things easier if you can see it happening instead of just reading someone telling you about it.

!

(jeannie if you cant tell im really diggin the new smileys :teehee:)

aphaynes March 23rd, 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49550)
There are 8 bolts holding the bed to the frame, plus two holding it to the bumper in my case.

Wow, I have done a lot of searching and this is the first spot that has said what holds the bed to the frame. In my case it is not obvious because, as you can see...

...many moons ago someone covered the wood bed with steel. Problem is that in this pick you can see the passenger side of the bed is sunk down a bit...

Thought it might be bent or rusted supports where it mounts to the frame. As it turns out, that wood that was covered way back when is now gone in most places. So the bolts that went through the wood to, I assume, the cross sills now have a bit of play in them. :jaw-dropping: I can grab the bed and lift in into place where it is straight and the bolt slack is gone. Guess I am going to have to cut out that steel bed where it was spot welded in so I can find all these bolts. All of the original bed hardware is still under there, though it is all shot. Guess a bed kit is in order. Anyway, all that is to say thank you for your detailed process; which helped me find what most would consider obvious. :postgood: :tiphat: