6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1966 And Later Fuel Pumps (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50537)

ilvracn January 29th, 2019 03:14 PM

Re: 1966 And Later Fuel Pumps

makes sense to me, my 66 is on it's 3rd fuel pump in 5 years. probably around 1500 to 2000 miles. i don't know what gears are in the rear axle, but i have fairly tall tires, 60 mph is really turning engine, 3400 rpm. after last time pump went out, i bought an extra, and carry it behind the seat. i thought about an electric pump, has any put one on our trucks? would prefer in tank, don't know if that is available.

BobBray January 29th, 2019 09:39 PM

FWIW, my '67 has needed 1 fuel pump in the last 12 years.

Clarke January 29th, 2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 70525)
FWIW, my '67 has needed 1 fuel pump in the last 12 years.

About how many miles before and after your pump replacement? Correct me if I’m wrong, the ‘67 has the bent arm with larger diameter body?

Clarke January 29th, 2019 11:30 PM

O’Reillys has inline electric pumps by Edelbrock for less than $50. I’m assuming the low PSI one would be sufficient since I still have my tank behind the seat (gravity fed) and I’m still running the stock carb. If I get one I was thinking of mounting it just downstream of the stock fuel filter on the passenger frame.

I have heard these older motors typically start easier with electronic fuel pumps.

Ed Snyder January 29th, 2019 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 70527)
O’Reillys has inline electric pumps by Edelbrock for less than $50. I’m assuming the low PSI one would be sufficient since I still have my tank behind the seat (gravity fed) and I’m still running the stock carb. If I get one I was thinking of mounting it just downstream of the stock fuel filter on the passenger frame.

I have heard these older motors typically start easier with electronic fuel pumps.

My Dad installed a back-up electric fuel pump shortly after buying the one ton Suburban I have now. Since it sits for awhile sometimes without being driven, I always run the electric pump for a few seconds first, then shut it off as soon as the engine fires. Then the stock engine-driven pump takes over.

I had installed a back-up electric pump on a '66 pickup I used to own (which Clyde in SC has now). It saved my bacon one time when I was driving in heavy traffic on Interstate 5 up in Washington. The engine driven pump quit all of a sudden. After a moment of panic I remembered to switch on the electric pump. Thankfully the engine fired right back up with nobody behind me honking!

Clarke January 30th, 2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 70528)
My Dad installed a back-up electric fuel pump shortly after buying the one ton Suburban I have now. Since it sits for awhile sometimes without being driven, I always run the electric pump for a few seconds first, then shut it off as soon as the engine fires. Then the stock engine-driven pump takes over.

Ed, I remember your dad telling me the electric pump assisted with vapor lock issues while on family vacations in the Rockies (high altitude).

Ed Snyder January 30th, 2019 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 70530)
Ed, I remember your dad telling me the electric pump assisted with vapor lock issues while on family vacations in the Rockies (high altitude).

Sounds like your memory is better than mine, David! I had forgotten about that. Fortunately I never experienced any vapor lock when I drove it from Wichita to Medford in 2014.

63gmc4x4 January 30th, 2019 06:50 AM

My airtex 40050 is bent arm with 5/16 fitting works great on my 351e

BobBray January 30th, 2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 70526)
About how many miles before and after your pump replacement? Correct me if I’m wrong, the ‘67 has the bent arm with larger diameter body?

A few thousand. No idea how old the pump was when I put it on, it looked like old stock that had been laying around. Yes, large diameter with the bent arm.

ilvracn January 31st, 2019 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i still had my old pump laying on the bench from this summer when it went bad. i decided to take it apart, and see what went wrong. one of the check valves fell out. i was driving at hiway speed, i think the vibration from 3400 rpm probably vibrated the valve from it's seat in the pump. diaphram looked excellent. looks like manufacturer defect, should have been staked in.