6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fresh Paint (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47351)

Vernski February 4th, 2013 05:45 AM

Fresh Paint

10 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post some pics of my progress on painting Frank. My son-inlaw
is spaying the truck for me I can't take the fumes even with a respirator. I have more pictures if you like...Vernski:)

sclor February 4th, 2013 02:03 PM

Re: Fresh Paint

Vernski:
Looks good. Nothing like fresh paint.

What type of paint did you use? On the fumes, the best thing that I purchased is an air supplied respirator. It uses a pump with a 50' hose. The pump is placed outside in fresh air and pumps air to the respirator so you don't get any fumes. A lot of folks are still using charcoal masks with hardened paints, but they get expensive when you use them appropriately (8 hours of use) and tend to leak since you are pulling air through them vs. the air supplied that pressurizes your mask from the pump.

Let me know what materials you chose and whether you were satisfied with them?
Thanks,
Steve
New Orleans

FetchMeAPepsi February 5th, 2013 01:13 AM

That looks pretty good. He paintd the doorhandles though. did you mean to do that?

Vernski February 5th, 2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclor (Post 47715)
Vernski:
Looks good. Nothing like fresh paint.

What type of paint did you use? On the fumes, the best thing that I purchased is an air supplied respirator. It uses a pump with a 50' hose. The pump is placed outside in fresh air and pumps air to the respirator so you don't get any fumes. A lot of folks are still using charcoal masks with hardened paints, but they get expensive when you use them appropriately (8 hours of use) and tend to leak since you are pulling air through them vs. the air supplied that pressurizes your mask from the pump.

Let me know what materials you chose and whether you were satisfied with them?
Thanks,
Steve
New Orleans

Steve I urethane B/C the brand is called Omni I think it compares to Dupont or PPG plus it costs less. I looked at an outside respirator they don't give those away do they? The urethane was w/hardener the clear-coat flowed out nice w/ just a little extra thinner added to it.[ Pepsi ] your pulling my leg about the door handles aren't you...Vernski:)

sclor February 5th, 2013 02:29 PM

Vernski:
Yes, the air supplied can get a bit pricey. I have a Neoterik that I bought used for $120, but they are no longer made. Check on Hobbyair. They are for home use because they are not OSHA certified, but all the reports on them are good.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

FetchMeAPepsi February 6th, 2013 03:54 PM

Yes I was teasing ya about the door handles. It's a nice color too. When will it be done?
post some more pics when you get time

Vernski February 6th, 2013 07:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 47741)
Yes I was teasing ya about the door handles. It's a nice color too. When will it be done?
post some more pics when you get time

Yup I'm kinda slow at my age, but I figured you was. Here is some more pics
with the grill in and I still have to rub it all out...VernskiAttachment 166

Attachment 167

Attachment 168

Attachment 169

sclor February 6th, 2013 07:53 PM

Vernski:
Looks nice. I wouldn't wait too long to color sand and buff. After a few days, that clear gets much harder to buff out.

Hey, what's with that stash of extra chrome grills hanging on the side wall??
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

BarryGMC February 6th, 2013 10:29 PM

It must be a northwest thing. I have 5 hanging on the wall. Looks good Vern! I cant wait to check it out when I bring the rear end. Barry

Vernski February 7th, 2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 47749)
It must be a northwest thing. I have 5 hanging on the wall. Looks good Vern! I cant wait to check it out when I bring the rear end. Barry

Barry are you talkin wall art? we'll, I leaned that from Hi skool we'll be a waitin on the re-end too...Vernski:D