6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Looking for members that installed AC (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49547)

GTS61 August 12th, 2016 12:49 AM

Looking for members that installed AC

I'm trying to find out what other members have purchased after market AC system kits. I'm looking to add AC, the evaporator, condenser, compressor everything needed to cool my pickup. Has anyone installed AC on their 305 V6? I heard that there is no brackets for the compressor. Anyways I'd sure appreciate any info on this matter. Thanks

FetchMeAPepsi August 12th, 2016 01:59 AM

Re: Looking for members that installed AC

You have to make your own AC bracket, but it's not a huge deal. You can make one with an Acetylene torch (learning to use one is easy, and fun!) or you can go down to the local muffler shop and have them cut you up one from some flat steel stock. Just talk to the welder and see what he'd charge to cut something up that would work.

HOTRODJOHN August 12th, 2016 02:02 AM

I am a Vintage Air dealer and will be doing it in a few weeks. I am just accumulating different parts to try to cover any problems. There are no A/C mounts but from looking at it I do not see a problem. There will be some trial & error but once I do the first one I will be able to help you out. I have the engine on the engine stand but cannot start for about 2 2wweks, I am installing 2 units on 2 other vehicles. You can PM me if you want. John

FetchMeAPepsi August 12th, 2016 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTRODJOHN (Post 63162)
I am a Vintage Air dealer and will be doing it in a few weeks. I am just accumulating different parts to try to cover any problems. There are no A/C mounts but from looking at it I do not see a problem. There will be some trial & error but once I do the first one I will be able to help you out. I have the engine on the engine stand but cannot start for about 2 2wweks, I am installing 2 units on 2 other vehicles. You can PM me if you want. John

You now get my vote for winner of the internet! :welldone:

If you can fab up brackets and sell them the market may not be huge, but everyone here will add you to their Christmas list! It's the quality over quantity!
:upyes:

HOTRODJOHN August 12th, 2016 03:28 AM

Thanks, I am a man of mild means.

GTS61 August 12th, 2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTRODJOHN (Post 63162)

Thanks John!
I sent you a pm.

Clyde the 65 August 13th, 2016 07:52 PM

I'm interested, sent you a pm. Thanks.

Quigley August 13th, 2016 09:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have Vintage Air in my 66 and it works GREAT! Made a solid mount bracket in conjunction with the power steering and use it for the adjuster.

GTS61 August 13th, 2016 09:45 PM

That is beautiful!!! What size of engine do you have? Do you fix up your pickup yourself?

Quigley August 13th, 2016 10:16 PM

It is the original 305E that came in the truck with a Powerflow also original. Did some of the work myself, but most was done by real mechanics and body man. Thanks for the Kudos, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Dave