6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   hard start (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51529)

bigred1 February 24th, 2023 05:42 PM

hard start

why is it so hard to start my 1963 gmc 1500 305v6 in cold weather. 2 barrel stromberg

AZKen February 25th, 2023 01:16 AM

Re: hard start

Could be the cold, could be something not related to cold. Which means a long list and tests. Google it or give us all the info and history. If you are sure it's cold weather, get a block heater. It's just Mother Nature thickening the oil and shrinking all the moving parts and messing with the battery, thus: slow starter. But we don't know your info, history and manifestation of "hard to start".

This will do the trick.

Many folks don't drive their vintage trucks in the winter.....salt!....slippery!......no ABS.....hard start.....no heater!!!!!!!!!

FetchMeAPepsi February 25th, 2023 01:27 AM

Are you choking it when you try to start it in the cold? Could also be a miscalibrated carb float, lack of fuel in the line because it's draining down, a weak battery, we're just guessing without more info. "It dont start" doesn't give us much to go on :)

lizziemeister'sV6 February 25th, 2023 03:14 AM

My truck is running - I better go catch it! :happy:

George Bongert February 25th, 2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred1 (Post 76794)
why is it so hard to start my 1963 gmc 1500 305v6 in cold weather. 2 barrel stromberg

As Azken indicated, your hard starting problem could be any number of things ranging from weak spark, worn starter bushings and brushes, improper oil viscosity for cold weather conditions, (which shouldn't be a problem if you're using 10W30 or 10W20 oil) weak spark, or choke not being fully closed for cold starting, or a very weak or underrated battery. When I was in Technical School, we (students) were taught that on a day when the ambient temperature is 0 degrees F, a battery loses half of its cold cranking ability. In other words, a battery rated at 400 CCA (Cold Crank Amps) is reduced to 200 CCA ability. So, one by one, you will have to start chasing down these gremlins starting with the easy ones first. Make sure that your choke is fully closing, (and fuel is getting to the carburetor) proper oil viscosity for winter weather conditions, Ignition system tuneup, (new points condenser and spark plugs) check for possible weak Ignition coil, and then you can go to the more serious problems like a weak starter due to bushing and brush wear. My answer is a bit lengthy, but these are all things to be considered for hard starting in cold weather conditions. And I'm not being preachy, or in any way indicating that you are not mechanically inclined, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can based on my own experiences.

bigred1 February 26th, 2023 05:14 PM

thanks for the response. battery is 3 years old, carb was rebuilt, full choke when trying to start, 10w30 oil. the carb also has a king seeley vari speed handy govenor

FetchMeAPepsi February 26th, 2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred1 (Post 76800)
thanks for the response. battery is 3 years old, carb was rebuilt, full choke when trying to start, 10w30 oil. the carb also has a king seeley vari speed handy govenor

I don't know about that governor. Someone else will have to jump in on it.
For me, I know Cecilia doesn't like full choke even in negative temps. She wants a little over half choke. Does yours like full choke when it's warm?
Also, 3 years on a battery might be all you get when it's cold for an engine this huge. You need a ton of amps to turn them over.

bigred1 March 3rd, 2023 12:42 AM

I start the truck on full choke. Once engine turns over and warms up it is good for the rest of the day

bigred1 March 4th, 2023 12:57 AM

oil drain plug gasket

where can I order a oil drain plug gasket for my 305. drain plug is 1 1/8

LEWISMATKIN March 8th, 2023 02:14 AM

the govenor is on the engine to keep the engine from over-revving. this is a fleet truck and the govenor was part of the optional equipment the truck was ordered with. As a single owner, you have the choice of leaving the govenor, or removing it and replacing the studs with short bolts and bolting the ww directly to the intake manifold. Just food for thought.