6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Radio antenna angle - (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48891)

jbgroby June 19th, 2015 07:45 PM

Radio antenna angle -

I bough a "supposedly" correct radio antenna from LMC. It was described at a 60-61 (Part number 38-1146). After mounting it to the cowl it sits at a bad angle. AT first I though I had a Prev. Owner drilled hole - I have a factory cut hole as it has the small square notched out.

I paid $90.00 for it in a moment of mental weakness. I've tried everything I can think of to try to get it to position vertically. Anybody else run into this problem?

1960HDGMC June 20th, 2015 02:30 AM

Re: Radio antenna angle -

Hey Jake, See if you can send it back. I refuse to buy from LMC. I sincerely believe they sell seconds and/or mislabeled items. If you have to, cut your losses and order from Classic Industries. My unit came with template and it dropped in like Flynn. I wouldn't use LMC for a boat anchor. GM

jagarra June 20th, 2015 03:56 AM

I too have had problems with the antennas from LMC. It was made so badly I couldn't get it to attach to the underside of the cowl, when I got it partially attached the angle was so terrible I sent it back.
I have had issues with others parts they sell, so now I try to avoid doing business with them. I ended up going to Autozone, found an antenna that was perfect for about $11.00.

jbgroby June 20th, 2015 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't send it back I bought over 2 years ago. Won't be the first time I've waste money- prob won't be the last. I'll check classic industries. Thanks

1960HDGMC June 20th, 2015 05:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Jake, May be in the wrong hole. The antenna appears to be correct for 1960-61 GMC trucks. Perhaps the piece with the hole was from a later model. Or it just got drilled too high up on the curvature to set vertically. My Classic Industries antenna kit came with a paper template that you can use to locate the correct hole placement. If you need it, I can scan it full scale if I can. Otherwise, I will be glad to make you a full scale copy and just mail it to you. You have two resolutions for your dilemma. Either plug, paint and redrill your existing piece, or just find an original that is already drilled(or not), and just paint it. Not the end of the world. Looking at the two pictures, I believe you got the correct piece. But I still hate, loathe and totally distrust LMC. GM

1960HDGMC June 20th, 2015 05:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow, I found them in the first place I looked. That never happens. Jake, here is the literature I have on mounting the antenna on 1960-61 GMC and Chevrolet trucks. The template may be out of scale, so here are your critical measurements. 7 1/2 " left from vertical seam, and 6 1/4 " up from horizontal seam. Hope this helps, Greg

jbgroby June 21st, 2015 05:44 PM

Thanks, I have the same booklet with the drawings and templet. I don't want to reprint, do I'll just try to find a better antenna.

1960HDGMC June 22nd, 2015 01:43 AM

Hey Jake, You might be able to grind the bottom of the base. If its chrome plated pot metal as I think it is, you could try to carefully grind it to the correct angle you need . The rubber base gasket will cover the ground area. A little Tailgate Aluminum paint to cover the bottom of the base where you ground it. You got nothing to lose. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Gm

jbgroby June 22nd, 2015 11:36 AM

Thanksbibwas wondering if that was possible

1960HDGMC June 22nd, 2015 01:30 PM

You might hold it plumb above the hole, to establish your angle. Also, I would probably score the plating along this angle to try and prevent it flaking off. I forgot to tell you I posted your picture on the "Calling all Two-Tones" thread. Feel free to update your progress there. I want one of it rolling down the road. GM