6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear Motor Mounts (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50490)

Quigley November 25th, 2018 07:26 PM

Rear Motor Mounts

I am working on my 62 and the rear motor mounts look pretty sad. Anyway they are bolted to the crossmember and the rubber pads are bolted to a horse shoe plate over the top and a bolt with a sleeve and another rubber pad come in from the bottom into the bell housing. I looked at my 66 parts truck and it looks similar except the horseshoe plate is bonded to the rubber and it just lays over the cross member and like the 62 the sleeved bolt with rubber pad come in from the bottom into the bell. Just looking at it I would think the 66s would work. Am I thinking right or not. Appreciate any help. Thanks,Dave

LEWISMATKIN November 25th, 2018 08:20 PM

Re: Rear Motor Mounts

Quigley, do you have a manual transmission? If so, the rear mounts, both upper and lower are the same all the way thru the late '70s, from 1/2T through 6500, I-6, V-6, & V8 gas & diesel, using the "apron" style rear mounts.

Quigley November 25th, 2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 70198)
Quigley, do you have a manual transmission? If so, the rear mounts, both upper and lower are the same all the way thru the late '70s, from 1/2T through 6500, I-6, V-6, & V8 gas & diesel, using the "apron" style rear mounts.

Yes both trucks have manual transmissions and the mounts look like they do basically the same thing, but one is bolted into the crossmember and the other just wraps around it and just lays in place. I don,t have a smart phone and my camera quit working or I would provide pictures. Dave

LEWISMATKIN November 26th, 2018 01:09 AM

I think that the glove over style has superseded the captive style. If you are concerned with originality Quigly, then use the '66s while you send the '62 mounts out to be vulcanized. Good Luck, and happy Thanksgiving.

AZKen November 26th, 2018 03:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have the bolts and sleeves, here are some possibles. I had the same thing on my 60. The bolt had a locking tab washer. I bought new rubber.
click 1
click 2
I can dig in my files further if you need. Right off hand don't remember a horseshoe plate. I thought the horseshoe rubber fits over the crossmember.

This says 1960-1962 GMC with 305. Seems he is saying 63 up is different. $30 free ship.

This is just a generic pic.

Quigley November 29th, 2018 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my camera kinda working here is what the motor mounts look like. 62 on the vehicle and 62 on the left and 66 on the right, both are junk and I have new ones coming. They are 66 style and looks like they will work. Thanks for the input. Dave

AZKen November 29th, 2018 05:33 AM

That metal saddle is new to me. My 60 does not have it and a 63, I took a motor out of, did not. They both had SM420. Another oddity was that my 60 has a bolted bell housing mount/rear motor mount cross member and the 63 had a welded one. Could not remove the motor with tranny and had a heck of a time getting tranny down to the ground thru the welded cross member. Bolted makes more sense. I heard that factories had different cross member attachment methods. Not sure.

BobBray December 6th, 2018 09:41 PM

I think the chassis is almost completely different starting in 1963, when GMC changed from torsion bar front suspension to leaf springs. '62 and older are welded, '63 and newer are bolted and riveted.

AZKen December 7th, 2018 01:46 AM

You are saying that backwards of what I posted/experienced. It is still possible that factories had different methods.

Quigley December 7th, 2018 03:34 AM

I guess I knew my 66 &62 would be different, but I was surprised how much different. 62 has all the cross members welded with no bolts. 66 are all bolted.Nothing is the same underneath. Dave