6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Truck gender? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47792)

kepi September 22nd, 2013 05:25 AM

Truck gender?

Do you refer to your truck as a male or female? Mine is male (his name is Earl), but I've noticed that most people refer to their vehicles as "she".

FetchMeAPepsi September 22nd, 2013 09:40 AM

Re: Truck gender?

Mine's a female. In my head it's due to her being sweet and agreeable one minute then crazy the next for no reason :lolsmack:

My dad used to say it's funny that 99% of the time you'll call stuff you work with female to build on the perceived relationship. But threats are almost always male. See a train rolling by and say, "There she goes!" but almost step on a snake and point, "There he is!"

raycow September 22nd, 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepi (Post 50447)
Do you refer to your truck as a male or female?

Ya know, I never thought about that before. Where does one look to find out which gender it is?

Ray

jbgroby September 22nd, 2013 02:17 PM

I called mine the "Beast" because of what it has taken to restore it. But I'll christen it with a new name once I finish and get her papered up.

tommyduncan September 22nd, 2013 02:36 PM

Funny this came up now...

My girlfriend keeps trying to give my truck a name. It's always a female name. One that I would associate with an unattractive woman like Gertrude or Bertha.
I reluctantly suggested Rosy because of John Steinbeck naming his truck Rosinante(and it makes me think of Rosy the riveter). She didn't like it...
I last suggested Ethel because it fit her theme and at least had a historical automotive connection (fill 'er up with Ethyl!) She liked it but honestly I hope it doesn't stick...

GMCDAC September 22nd, 2013 11:25 PM

To me, trucks are male and cars are female. I'm just wierd that way I guess!

Fetch's theory has me re-thinking that a bit tho----

Later---DAC

George Bongert September 23rd, 2013 12:30 AM

RE: Truck Gender?

I think it is more a matter of personal choice, your truck can be either male, or female in nature, it's all up to you as an individual. Personally, my old truck was a "tough old fellow," since it seems it was pretty much indestructable, that is until the tin rats got the best of it. Mechanically the truck was sound, but the body was shot.

6066gmcguy September 23rd, 2013 04:22 AM

I tend to thing of them a being male, have not come up with a name for the Rescue Squad, maybe I should all it John Gage as Roy DeSoto should be the name for a Dodge Rescue Squad, besides Randolph Mantooth played John Gage and that name sounds as made up as Manville.

tommyduncan September 23rd, 2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 50469)
I tend to thing of them a being male, have not come up with a name for the Rescue Squad, maybe I should all it John Gage as Roy DeSoto should be the name for a Dodge Rescue Squad, besides Randolph Mantooth played John Gage and that name sounds as made up as Manville.

I admit I had to Google this to figure it out...

I vaguely remember that show. My dad worked for the city of L.A. and he would shout out the places when they were on the screen. He and my uncle would do it during CHIPS also, mostly to annoy my aunt who loved Eric Estrada:noway:

Foley September 24th, 2013 02:28 AM

Good topic. And because I have no life, I've kept track of the truck names I've run across on this forum during the past four months.

Earl, 66 Fenderside, Idaho
Dudley, 64 Fenderside, California
Cecilia, 62 Fenderside, Kansas
Stumpy, 64 Fenderside, Tennessee
Gracie, 62 Wideside, Unknown
Little Yellow, 65 Flatbed, Arizona
Gussy, 65 Wideside, Arkansas
The Paper Wasp, 65 Wideside, unknown
Babe The Blue OX, 60 Fenderside, Tennessee
Stumpy, 64 Fenderside, Tennessee

If you read this, and want to pass on your trucks name to me, pls do. Foley