6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HEI vs Pertronic pointless ignition systems (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50004)

401bluebird May 17th, 2017 08:39 PM

HEI vs Pertronic pointless ignition systems

I have read most of the past postings from this site and notice that discussions on pointless ignition systems brings some criticisms of the Pertronic point replacement system.

I have a low mileage Delco point distributor in my 401 V6 and I would like to upgrade to pointless ignition. Seems a given that the GM HEI is better, but is it that much better? Like a 12" thick concrete driveway is better than a 4" thick drive, but the 4" drive should be long-lasting, too.

Anyone who has had experience with both care to comment?
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson

ilvracn May 18th, 2017 03:17 PM

Re: HEI vs Pertronic pointless ignition systems

I have a 1960 belair, put pertronix in it 3 years ago. Runs great, no problems. I have installed pertronix in 2 customer cars, at my shop. Have had no problems with either. Pertronix is very simple, not much to go wrong.
I have an hei for my 66 gmc, have not installed it yet. Debated on the pertronix, but i needed wires, and distributor cap and rotor as well, so i opted for the hei.

TJ's GMC May 18th, 2017 04:08 PM

Nothing wrong with pertronix other than the fact they are known for just Dying after around 5 years. I've had mine in my truck for several years and no issues or complaints here. Being that the current bolt in HEI is $325 I was able to save quite a bit of money going with a rebuilt dizzy and pertronix unit for the same results!

401bluebird May 18th, 2017 05:34 PM

Thanks for the real world experience. Perhaps it may be prudent to keep a spare Pertronic unit for on the road replacement should the 1st one fail.
-Andy Carlson Ojai CA

TJ's GMC May 19th, 2017 01:18 AM

I just keep a spare set of points on the plate and a ground wire for mine. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 May 19th, 2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 401bluebird (Post 67124)
Thanks for the real world experience. Perhaps it may be prudent to keep a spare Pertronic unit for on the road replacement should the 1st one fail.
-Andy Carlson Ojai CA

I'll be the first to tell you about the HEI conversion, I built it back in 1991 and was immediately happy with the results. The HEI is a much hotter ignition than the Pertronix, after the 478M conversion I built it up with the MSD coil and digital module with a built in rev limiter that includes a second Tach lead which will come in real handy when I decide to go with Howell Fuel Injection. As far as reliability I just keep a spare module in the glovebox that's easier to change than a set of points.:upyes:

401bluebird May 19th, 2017 07:46 PM

I have raced at drag strips for decades, and I have learned over the years that many stock distributors have too much mechanical advance built in. In a 6000 RPM big block, it is commonly understood to have all of your advance in at 3000RPM. Timing with many stock distributors, when total timing is set up this way, will have retarded timing at low RPMS, Off-idle and slow cruise. The solution for years was to limit the total advance by brazing portions of the advance centrifugal weight slots to limit the total advance. Now, many of the aftermarket distributors come with "Performance curves" included.

My question- does having full timing come in so close to the red line leave a lot of mid-range power on the table? I would like to check the BB V6 advance curve someday on my 401 with a dial-to-zero timing light and see what the factory curves are. I suspect that they are quicker than the more traditional engines (V8s).
Thanks, -Andy Carlson Ojai CA

AZKen May 20th, 2017 04:09 AM

One thing I agree with is that Pertronix is "pointless".

TJ's GMC May 20th, 2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 67128)
I'll be the first to tell you about the HEI conversion, I built it back in 1991 and was immediately happy with the results. The HEI is a much hotter ignition than the Pertronix, after the 478M conversion I built it up with the MSD coil and digital module with a built in rev limiter that includes a second Tach lead which will come in real handy when I decide to go with Howell Fuel Injection. As far as reliability I just keep a spare module in the glovebox that's easier to change than a set of points.:upyes:

Pete is that the buick v6 dizzy?

bigblockv6 May 20th, 2017 03:26 PM

Yes it's a Buick V6 HEI.