6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Member from Portland (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48685)

flyingA66 March 9th, 2015 10:36 AM

New Member from Portland

Hi all, just signed on to the forum. My name is Steve I live in Portland Oregon. I was given a 66 GMC last summer and am just a few hours away from putting on the road. I will post some pictures soon. Right now I am in Vung Tau Vietnam on a month long vacation seeing friends and family. Looking forward to being a part of the forum.

Jeannie March 11th, 2015 10:34 PM

Re: New Member from Portland

:welcome: to the club, FlyingA66!

You will not find a more comprehensive place for information on your new 66. Many members will be happy to help you as well while on your journey to restoration.

Have a safe trip,

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

Cayoterun March 12th, 2015 03:25 PM

Welcome to group from Oklahoma. We're looking forward to some pics. and will try to be good cheerleaders thru the bumps and humps of your resto. journey.

flyingA66 March 13th, 2015 08:37 AM

I know I will enjoy being here. The wealth of experience and knowledge is clearly apparent. Thanks for the kind welcome! I love that old 66, it is going to be fun.

flyingA66 March 13th, 2015 08:46 AM

Thanks for the kind welcome. I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. I love that old 66 and it will be fun going through the process of getting it on the road again.

Steve

flyingA66 April 5th, 2015 06:24 AM

I'll be flying outta here(Saigon) tomorow so I am anxious to get finished up with the old 66 when I get back to Portland. I have been struggling with the heater control cables and have no idea how they are set up. I put in a new heater core, fan, switch and resistor and levers, made a new harness and it all works fine(that heater will burn your cookies, haha) but the cables I got are for a Chevy so I don't think the length and placement are right. Anybody got any ideas, pictures, diagrams, measurements etc. to show how the 4 cables are routed?

Thanks.
Steve

Foley April 5th, 2015 05:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Steve. We'll be looking forward to your return from Saigon and getting some pictures of your 66 up here so we can all have a look. Great bunch of people on this forum east to west, north and south.

Foley,
Greenwood, CA

flyingA66 April 5th, 2015 06:15 PM

Thanks Foley, I will post the pictures. It is a 66 with a good running V6 305 in it, I had to laugh when my buddy came over and looked at the motor, he thought it was a 348 Chevy! The floor boards, rockers, cab corners and a bit of the firewall were rusted out so I welded new panels in. The original red and white paint is there with a definite character to it. I had to put a new windshield in, the seal was shot and the glass was cloudy. I replaced every bit of the brake system except the hard lines along with the idler arm and tie rod ends. I used jeep Dana 44 brake drums on the rear, had to machine out the hub hole a bit and enlarge the lugnut holes because I couldn't find the right drums for a decent price. The new shoes were Pontiac passenger car. The door mechanisms were shot so I rebuilt the doors with everything including regulators, window channels, wing window glass and hardware. The clutch linkage and brake mechanism was all loosy goosy so I welded the elongated holes up and made some bushings to take up the slack. Whats left is motor mounts, some rewiring, a complete fluid change, a super tune up, some valve seals,(it puffs smoke on starting) a wheel alignment and a bunch of stuff that will probably crop up as I sort it out further. It sure has been fun so far and I have't got to drive it more than a few miles.

Cheers, Steve

TJ's GMC April 6th, 2015 04:12 AM

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the 66! I cracked up on the thought of the 305 being a 348....348 is a tiny bit smaller and lighter. lol

Clyde April 6th, 2015 02:20 PM

Welcome aboard, there is a wealth of knowledge here, with that, common sense and ingenuity you will not have any problems keeping your GMC running for ever. I enjoy having the hood up with a V6 under it at car shows, I just stand back and listen to the comments as to what type of engine it is. The plugs on the inside of the heads throws most folks for a loop.