6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What Am I Looking at?? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51493)

MeganK December 20th, 2022 12:21 AM

What Am I Looking at??

1 Attachment(s)
As stated in my previous posts I have only been a classic truck owner for about 2 weeks....

I lucked into having the rare sports option package but there are 2 "odd" things on my truck that I am curious about. So I defer to your Expertise.

My theory is that this truck, at one point had some kind of camper top option. In the attached picture you can see that there is some kind of "plug" behind the driver's door. When you flip it up it looks to be like some kind of 3 prong plug... almost like a microphone plug...

Also it has the cut out circle on the bed. My understanding is that there might have been a 2 fuel tank option?? But this hole is on both the driver and passenger sides.

Any insight would be appreciated.. What are they for? Are they aftermarket?
is there any special electrical that might be in the truck based on these clues....Should this send the restoration in a different direction? LOL..

Thanks everyone

MeganK

Attachment 10036

Ed Snyder December 20th, 2022 01:24 AM

Re: What Am I Looking at??

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganK (Post 76491)
As stated in my previous posts I have only been a classic truck owner for about 2 weeks....

I lucked into having the rare sports option package but there are 2 "odd" things on my truck that I am curious about. So I defer to your Expertise.

My theory is that this truck, at one point had some kind of camper top option. In the attached picture you can see that there is some kind of "plug" behind the driver's door. When you flip it up it looks to be like some kind of 3 prong plug... almost like a microphone plug...

Also it has the cut out circle on the bed. My understanding is that there might have been a 2 fuel tank option?? But this hole is on both the driver and passenger sides.

Any insight would be appreciated.. What are they for? Are they aftermarket?
is there any special electrical that might be in the truck based on these clues....Should this send the restoration in a different direction? LOL..

Thanks everyone

MeganK

Attachment 10036

My '67 has the same type of plug in the same location. My guess is that it's for an electrical power connection to a long-gone camper of some type. The holes in your bedsides were probably for after-market auxiliary fuel tanks. Lots of owners added them during the gas shortage crisis of the early '70s.

AZKen December 20th, 2022 04:08 AM

Re: What Am I Looking at??

I agree with ED. None of those owner add-on's are "options". They are not necessarily favorable or valuable. Most of us would weld up the holes.
You don't say what is on the other side of the cab connector. Could be wires going to engine bay. Look for evidence of two 12V batteries.
If it was a communication link...it's a guy wanting to talk to his wife while she was resting in the camper while he was driving....or
vice versa. 12V wires for camper power will look different than com wires.

The tanks could have been for a rancher, farmer or maintenance truck full of diesel or ? If tanks were for the truck, look for a valve under/next to seat and some abandon fuel lines inside frame rails.

A camper AND bed tanks would be a little "different". Maybe tanks were under bed?

Does seem to have camper rubber rub/witness marks.