6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vin Help please (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49283)

tonyb1 March 28th, 2016 05:06 PM

Vin Help please

I have successfully decoded my vin - all with the exception of an M in it.

I cannot find out what plant an M designates?

A = Atlanta, Geogia
B = Baltimore, Maryland
* C = Oakland California
F = Flint, Michigan
* H = Oakland California
J = Janesville, Wisconsin
N = Norwood, Ohio
* P = Pontiac, Michigan
S = St. Louis, Missouri
T = Tarrytown, New York
* Z = Fremont, California

Was there an overflow plant?
Any Ideas?

jrmunn March 29th, 2016 03:38 PM

Re: Vin Help please

With no replies from anyone who actually knows, I will make a guess to see if it gets a response from someone with better information. I thought these GMC trucks were also made in Canada, but the cities I see listed are in the US. If they were made in Canada, "M" might mean Montreal?

JRMunn

Funky61 March 29th, 2016 05:15 PM

I think depending on the series of the truck, the M designated the V-6 engine in the VIN.
TonyB1, what series truck do you have and would you mind posting the partial VIN except for the last few numbers?

bigblockv6 March 29th, 2016 05:58 PM

The M designation was used on 67 and up pickups following the C or K designation for body style, for instance CM-2500 would be conventional cab, V6 gas, 3/4 ton. The same type of code system was used on larger E, H & J series trucks starting in 66:ok:

AZKen March 30th, 2016 12:52 AM

Welcome from one AZ to another........Yes, we need the entire VIN in case you are assuming it's plant designation and to be sure it's a Kosher GMC VIN. Good, complete info gets good answers on a forum.

6066gmcguy March 30th, 2016 02:22 AM

Dose not look like you wanted anyone to know anything about your truck, you posted no info to speak of to even take a guess, What year does it claim to be? how about a peek at what the vin number is you have?

David R Leifheit March 30th, 2016 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmunn (Post 61228)
With no replies from anyone who actually knows, I will make a guess to see if it gets a response from someone with better information. I thought these GMC trucks were also made in Canada, but the cities I see listed are in the US. If they were made in Canada, "M" might mean Montreal?

JRMunn

No response because not enough information in his post.

BTW, Canadian VINs do not have plant information.
But would need to see his VIN to know if it is Canadian or not (there is a difference).

AZKen March 30th, 2016 04:08 AM

Tony, it's a good idea to monitor your post, especially if you are new and need help. We see some folks who post and never come back or respond. You did come to the right place for GMC or even Chevy. But we will loose interest in helping someone who bounces around the net leaving questions all over. That ain't us. Now-a-days with WIFI, laptops, iphones and all, it should be easy to check your forum question unless you are in the hospital and even then we would expect you to ask for a computer.

tonyb1 March 30th, 2016 05:26 AM

Hey Guys
here is my Vin minus the last 4 numbers

1001MF----A

it is a legit vin it is in the right spot and no signs of it ever being tampered with........

Thanks for all of your help.

AZKen March 30th, 2016 06:04 AM

Well Tony, if you have looked at it with a magnifying glass and sure its not scratched, dented, faded, painted over.......as you said there are no "M's" in the 5 position for USA. You have found something rare, unknown, fake or mis stamped. Does the title say that exact number also? David or others can advise if it's Canadian. pretty sure it is not. I would like to have a pic of the M for our archives.