6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

Foley September 30th, 2013 05:00 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Regarding the engine paint there Fetch, some of the folks here on the forum have advised me to go for the VHT or Dulicolor (same company now) #1605, Ford engine Red in order to get the best possible color match. I found a spray can at an old, old NAPA store $4.99 with 1/2 inch of dust on the lid. I had to shake it up for 3 days it'd been sitting so long, then squirted the oil pan, and find it has more reddish and less orangish. Looks very good I think. Pix to follow some day when I do one of them build journals.

BarryGMC September 30th, 2013 05:07 AM

OK Pepsi I am going to give you a bad time. You have not really had it bad until you have put a sm465 np205 set up in with no jack. 200 lbs of Michigan cast iron on your chest. Try this on the cold. About 15 degrees. Keep it up its good to see you learn. Best wishes. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 50591)
Regarding the engine paint there Fetch, some of the folks here on the forum have advised me to go for the VHT or Dulicolor (same company now) #1605, Ford engine Red in order to get the best possible color match. I found a spray can at an old, old NAPA store $4.99 with 1/2 inch of dust on the lid. I had to shake it up for 3 days it'd been sitting so long, then squirted the oil pan, and find it has more reddish and less orangish. Looks very good I think. Pix to follow some day when I do one of them build journals.

I ordered six cans of Ford Red for the engine but the transmission and transfer case was a more rusty color than the motor (maybe just in the 4x4?). I couldn't find any "look alike" colors listed in the archives so I just ran my own testing facility :lolflag:
I failed, but it's the closest I could find. You're right though. I probably should have just used the Ford Red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50592)
OK Pepsi I am going to give you a bad time. You have not really had it bad until you have put a sm465 np205 set up in with no jack. 200 lbs of Michigan cast iron on your chest. Try this on the cold. About 15 degrees. Keep it up its good to see you learn. Best wishes. Barry

I can't even imagine :D I would be one of those guys you see on the news "Weenie-armed idiot crushed to death under vehicle while working on it. Pictures at 10!" :lolsmack: I'm thankful that this one isn't too crazy heavy and even more, I rebuilt it with my own two hands (and a lot of help from this club). It sure feels different when you've put it together yourself, doesn't it? :yeeuh::yeeuh::yeeuh:

Thanks for reading my train wreck guys. And all you lurkers too :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 08:43 PM

My littlest blonde has a birthday coming up in two days so I'm trying to get Cecilia out of the garage in time to take her birthday pics. And for winter too. I don't move much when it gets cold.

This afternoon I did a couple of piddly things. I wire wheeled and ospho'd the drive shaft that I had forgotten about.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It'll get a coat of herculiner on the shaft. I dont know about the pins etc. Im kinda afraid that would mess them up so I'll probably leave them as they are.

I threw away the old pins for the shifter and set aside my new pins.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I discovered that I had herculiner'ed my shifter bracket here to a piece of cardboard so I got a razorblade and cut it off. That was fun. Then I had to re-herculine the balder spots.

I did some touchup and wiped up the excess on the hump. I still need to get a new rubber liner.

then I sprayed another coat of rustoleum bedliner on the shaft. The rustoleum liner is thin and smooth, better for interior places you'll be touching. The herculiner is like those playgrounds that have chopped up rubber underfoot. Thick and grabby. Not what I want on the shaft of the 4x4 shifter. I stuck it in a hole in the frame to dry :lolflag:

Then I squirted some grease in my new throwout bearing.

And finally I put another coat of blind-your-face orange on the transmission and recoated these two stepside braces. They had spray-on stuff on them first but this stuff is much tougher and they live under the truck so they get coated.

That was it today. Tonight or tomorrow I'll try to mount the tranny and get her moving again :thumbsup:

Andice October 1st, 2013 01:39 PM

Excellent work, Fetch. Great detail and all done with a limited number of tools. Good for you!

FetchMeAPepsi October 2nd, 2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 50602)
Excellent work, Fetch. Great detail and all done with a limited number of tools. Good for you!

Thanks Andice! Your new avatar is cool!

1960's technology really makes these trucks easy for the newbie to work on with common household stuff. You could almost just buy one of those house-toolkit/toolboxes that come preloaded and do alot of the stuff you have to do to keep them going. It's great :thumbsup:

I am having trouble with the transmission insertion though. I can't seem to get it to go in the last inch to inch and a half. I'm thinking it's an alignment thing. I'll be working on it tomorrow but if I can't get it then I'll have to wait till Saturday. :morecoffee:

BarryGMC October 2nd, 2013 02:18 AM

Did that kit have an alignment tool? If it did not loosen up the pressure plate until the disk is just snug in there. You need to be able to move the disk when you put the trans in. Then you should be able to get the shaft into the bearing.

Andice October 2nd, 2013 02:51 AM

Thanks Fetch. It took four years to get that avatar. Could your new throwout bearing be the culprit? It looked a little longe than the original.

FetchMeAPepsi October 2nd, 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50607)
Did that kit have an alignment tool? If it did not loosen up the pressure plate until the disk is just snug in there. You need to be able to move the disk when you put the trans in. Then you should be able to get the shaft into the bearing.

It was supposed to include one, but it didn't. I think I've found the problem though....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 50608)
Thanks Fetch. It took four years to get that avatar. Could your new throwout bearing be the culprit? It looked a little longe than the original.

It's longer than the original but it does seem to fit in the fork. I had to pry the fork back to get it in but once in there it seems to slide around OK. I'm not sure exactly how it should be.

Well guys, my insertion problem looks to be the loose nut behind the hammer (thats me :poke:). When I tried to get the transmission apart and back together I banged on the input shaft to get things moving in one way or another. It didnt seem to do anything to it so I thought it was just tough steel.

It isnt as tough as a hammer though. I guess i swelled it up on the end and the pilot bearing doesn't fit on it anymore. I'm not sure what to do now. I think I'll try the guy that resurfaced my flywheel and see if he can scour the tip back down to pilot bearing size. Its that or find a donor transmission I think.

BarryGMC October 3rd, 2013 01:23 AM

I am sure some one will howl about this advice. Take a flat file and remove the high spots on the end until it fits. Dead blow hammers and brass bars are your friend. Remember that. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50621)
I am sure some one will howl about this advice. Take a flat file and remove the high spots on the end until it fits. Dead blow hammers and brass bars are your friend. Remember that. Barry

That's more in my price range. I won't mess up the weight and make it wobble at high speeds? (highest she'll ever see is 55)

What's a brass bar for? I'm ordering a 3lb dead blow today :)

BarryGMC October 3rd, 2013 01:42 AM

You won't notice a thing. The brass goes between the hammer and what ever you are beating on. I have brass rods and bars for various tasks. Very handy.

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2013 10:22 PM

Just a quick update. It's mounted! I just need to fill it with fluid, hook up the 4wd shifter, replace the hump and DRIVE baby!

:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Pics coming tonight. The kiddos have dr visits today (shots booo!) so it'll be late.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 04:06 AM

Like I always do I started with the piddly stuff to get my feet wet. I got my 4x4 shift bracket and my stick shift ready for mashing together. The only problem was my herculiner that I put on everything. It made the fit too tight!

So I grabbed Mr. Hammer and he negotiated the two into a deal. Then I touched up the bald spots with more herculiner.

Then I drove the pin in, same problem.

Next came the washer (both sides) and cotter pins (also both sides!)

Finally I got to use my brand new grease gun. Greased it up good till it spun around very freely.

Then I crawled under the truck again to install the throwout bearing. The new bearing is larger than the old one so I put a crowbar on the fork and pried it away just a little.

This let me slide the bearing in easily. The big part goes toward the engine. Remember that we greased it up earlier.

After I got it in I saw it wasnt lined up.

So I poked my crowbar in it and wiggled it around till it did. Notice that bling-bling on my crowbar? Kinda matches the transmission, don't it? Overspray is a hateful booger.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 04:53 AM

If you remember I was stupid and banged on my transmission's input shaft with a hammer. I won't do that again.

Thanks to BarryGMC I got the idea to take after it with a bastard file and use the old pilot bearing as a tester. After 400 strokes I had this and a sore arm.

I mean 400 strokes in one place. I then moved a little bit and did another 400 strokes. It didn't seem to be doing anything at all. So what did I do?

Arr ARR ARR! :lolsmack:

About 5 mins of the grinder and boom

That's what I'm talkin' bout, JACK!
So now...get up on the JACK!

I didn't have a little helper today so I had to figure out a way to jack the jack with my leg while holding the transmission on the jack with one hand. The blue line shows my leg to my foot. Keep a phone nearby if you do this. It could fall off and break your face.

Not sure what this picture was meant to show, but it slid in pretty easily with about 5 minutes of wiggling and pushing!

I hand tightened the top bolts to keep it safe and sturdy.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 05:22 AM

After getting the top bolts in fingertight I slipped the bottom bolts in. Remember they go in backwards though. I went ahead and tightened them up good.

Then I tightened the top bolts through the open transmission hump.

Only then was I OK with lowering the jack. Safety first!

Now for that stinkin linkage. I put the first one on and it wouldn't fit. I scraped a little of the paint away and put it on a little. it goes on with the threaded spot pointing down. Then I banged it with a wrench to get it back on.

I ran the bolt through and held it with vise grips while I used the impact on the other side.

The back one stuck out far enough I could whack it with a hammer to get it back on and bolted up.

I almost forgot the transmission bolts.

Can't forget the little tabs either.

Then the drain plug goes back in. I might need some touchup after all the up-and-downs on the jack.

Tying it back up, the driveshaft goes next. I held it high and to the driver's side so I could get it pushed into the gasket on the end of the transmission.

Then I set the rear portion in the joint.

I put the Ubolts on last and tightened them up.

Don't fear the dirt. I'll give her a proper washup after winter. I was in a rush today because I need to get Cecilia out of my garage this weekend.

Funny thing, I wound up with four little bolts that I have no idea where they go. Um...

And as I typed that it dawned on me that they go in the flywheel cover plate that I forgot about. :lolsmack:

I'll get that on Saturday.

gmc1963 October 6th, 2013 01:01 AM

get some bins for parts. itll be easier to put them back on in order.

FetchMeAPepsi October 6th, 2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc1963 (Post 50664)
get some bins for parts. itll be easier to put them back on in order.

That's not a bad idea. I might pick up a set or two. Right now I'm putting the smaller parts in plastic halloween cups.

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 01:02 AM

Finishing up I slipped the flywheel cover back on. It has to kinda wedge under the back side under the bellhousing mounts.

I put the front bolts in first to line it up. Just finger tight.

Then the back ones. After they're tight I tightened up the front. This is a cover so it doesn't need 800 ft./lbs. of torque!

Then it was time for some oil! I got a transfer pump a few months ago.

Then I carefully measured out 28 oz. of part number 58304, Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil because that's how much the manual says it takes. I shouldn't have. It took a whole quart.

Put the fill plug back in

I Put all the bolts back in the hump. Boy that looks odd tied down with old bolts and in an unpainted floor. :(

I poked the shifter through the hole.

Then went underneath and tied it to the Rockwell T221 linkage

Then I took the two bolts back out of the tail section of the transmission (it wont leak) then put the bracket back on it and bolt it back down.

I put my brand spankin new shift boot on. it didn't fit. Mainly because 2wd Hi is all the way forward. It collapses the boot too much and throws it into 4wd Hi. I need to find a different boot. I ended up taking it back off.

Here's the ring.

And finally the freshly painted handle.

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 04:49 AM

Then I started her up and took her for a spin!

The transmission performed flawlessly! And the new clutch was great! I was able to engage it without pulling my foot all the way up to my ear.

I pulled out of the garage, into the drive, and into the street. I shifted to 1st and took off VROOOMMM!!! Then I went to shift to second. I took my foot off the gas....And my joy was interrupted by this maddening SKREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
it sounded like dragging chains behind me. Ugh.

I pulled her around to the back yard and made peace with having to rebuild the Rockwell T221 transfer case (Also called a Timkin T221).

I'll go through the step-by-steps like normal for that but I want you guys to know one thing. I took the U bolts off the drive shaft going from the Rockwell to the rear end and....

..... BONG!!!!!!:ahhhh:

The entire shaft fell out in the dirt! I was like, Hubba-whaaa?!!?!

There lying in the sand by the rear end was the nut and washer that SHOULD have been tightly clamped on the rear end through the drive shaft. It was entirely off! So thats my noise.

All that rebuilding, knuckle busting, and changing my entire rebuild schedule, but I could have skipped it all and tightened a nut. THANKS OBAMA! :lolsmack:

Oh well. I had fun when i wasn't pulling my hair out. And I learned something. Always a good day when you can say that. i love this truck!

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 04:56 PM

Before finding the wayward driveshaft I mentioned that I dropped the Rockwell T221. Here's how I did it.

First, I disconnected all of the drive shafts. There are two "U" bolts on every shaft with four nuts on the end of them. IIRC they're 1/2 inch bolts.

The rear shaft

The input shaft that goes to the transmission

And the front shaft

Sorry for the pic quality. The camera got smudged and I didn't notice till I was copying the pics over.

The Ubolts probably won't just fall out once you get the nuts off. You can bang them with a hammer (put the nut back on a little so you don't buggar them up!) or use a big screwdriver to pry them off.

And you should tie or prop up the input shaft so it doesn't pull on the new gasket you put in and cause a leak later.

Take the cotter pin out of the shift linkage at the two points on the transfer case. Then pound the pin out with a hammer. I always put it back in afterwards (and the cotter pin) so it doesn't get lost.

Unscrew your speedometer cable

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 05:07 PM

Drain the oil so you loose a little weight.

To get the bolts out I had to go out and grab a $30.00 set of sockets from Autozone. On one hand I thought, dang that's $30.00 I didn't plan on spending. On the other hand....New tools!:champagne:

My transfer case fluid was a healthy chocolate milk color. I dont think it came from the factory like that. :headscratch:

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 05:44 PM

Stick a jack under the transfer case because it's HEAVY.

Then unscrew those 15/16 bolts from the passenger side. this was one of the pics that was messed up but they're huge bolts you can see by just squatting down and looking under the truck. Very easy to spot.
They're very short bolts too so don't get crazy.

Now take the bracket bolts loose where it connects to the emergency brake. there's two bolts on the rear, two underneath. You can see the bolt holes they came out of right above the bolts in my hand.

Another pic that messed up is the underneath bolts. When you take these out the tranny will try to fall. Make sure you put the plug in the drain hole and that the transfer case is braced up by the jack!

It will try to twist too, be careful.

When it's out pick the dirt dobber nests off. Mine had something like concrete on it too. not sure what that came from. I had to chisel it off with a screwdriver.

Anyway, that's it for removal. I hosed mine off with a pressure washer after washing the inside of my garage from the tranny repair. Both were a hot mess.

FetchMeAPepsi October 8th, 2013 05:37 PM

I know most of you guys won't have (or be interested in) a 4x4 so this part might be kinda boring for ya. I'll try to hurry it along.

Today I ordered a pieced together rebuild kit from Rock Auto for about $113.00. The only kits I found online complete were almost $300 :ahhhh:
I ain't spending that. I have a budget here!

Here's my shopping list. I'll edit it if they arrive and dont fit or I missed anything:

The Seals:
  • Input Shaft Seal SKF Part Number #15655
  • Output Shaft Seal National Parts #472164 (x2)
  • Shift Shaft Seal SKF Part Number #7440 (x2)

The Bearings/Sleeves:
  • Rear Output Shaft Bearing (Cupped) SKF Part Number #BR15126
  • Front Outer Bearing National Parts #207L
  • Front Inner Bearing National Parts #209L
  • Rear Bearing Sleeve National Parts #15245
  • Front Bearing Sleeve SKF #BR14276
  • Main Shaft Pilot Bearing SKF #JH1612

Next up, the teardown dun dun DUNNN!!!

FetchMeAPepsi October 10th, 2013 06:23 AM

I spent the last two days cleaning up from the tranny rebuild. It looked like a bunch of dirty grease gremlins had a night of drunken debauchery in my tools. Eww.:poke:

So I rubbed them down with a roll of paper towels and some mineral spirits. That stuff is good for cleaning grease. The little square (3ft by 2ft or so) of plywood that I put on my bench to keep it from the worst of the paint, dirt and grease was so bad I had to take it outside and wire-wheel it to get it usable again. That got me started on wanting to wire wheel more stuff so I put all of my U-Joints in the carb cleaner for a two hour soak.

Then the FEDEX truck showed up with half of my seals. WTG Rock Auto! :thumbsup:

I put them away then remembered my NOS muffler I got a few months ago. It's got a cheesy chick on it trying to look all shy. I don't know what that has to do with mufflers.

I tried to slide it on myself. It has a larger side on the intake that fits right over my existing exhaust bits, but I cant get it to stay on with just sliding it on. it falls off when I start the truck. It sounded pretty good while it was on though. Still throaty but without the loud thunderous knock. I put it away again for now.

I moved back in the garage and touched up the step supports with more herculiner.

Put my old pressure plate, clutch, throwout and pilot bearings on a shelf. I can't throw them away yet. Hoarder!

Then I pulled the Ubolts out of the carb cleaner bath and put them on paper towels to drip while I wipe them down. The powder puff stepped up then and noticed something I didn't.

Did you see it? Here's a closeup

Yep, that's a smiley face! Powder Puff said, "daddy, this is probably the happiest job you have ever done on Cecilia, huh?" :lolflag:
Gotta love how kids' minds work. I wire wheeled them all down then sprayed them with Ospho. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with them. :D

While they soak and convert I turned to my transfer case. I wire wheeled on it a little more but it's nasty stuff was still too hard. Instead I sprayed it with more Super Clean. Then I took off the side bracket.

Here's a pic of the bolt with all the pieces on it in order for reference. They didn't put any drain holes in the bracket so the metal spacer sits in water all the time. It corrodes to the bracket. I had to break mine loose with a hammer on one side.

And that was it for the day. Piddling stuff really, but it all needed doing. Here's to a good healthy cleanup and taking one more bite out of the elephant! :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi October 21st, 2013 08:27 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It got c*o*l*d here so I've been out of the truck mood lately. I guess I got too quiet because I got other members kickin me in the butt to get an update :lolflag:
I love this place:clap:

Here's what I did while I wasn't working on Cecilia.

Got a junk 4wheeler someone was done with for ...wait for it....

Oh yeah! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is what I hope it will look similar to some day:

Right now it looks like that rolled in dirt and razor blades. And the gas line is cut. Cecilia has given me confidence that I can at least try to make it putter around for the kids. All you need are good bones, right?

Then I did this (stick):

So i could try to build this before winter hits hard

Steel is expensive. And I might be getting into more than I can handle, but I thought the same thing with Cecilia. I'm learning that once you get your hands into mechanical stuff they're all pretty simple concepts until you get wires involved. There's no magic there after all. Who knew!?:headscratch:

So after all that we took a break to do this:

yep, that's 8 points buddy! The redhead was a happy camper and we'll have some meat in the freezer for jerky and stew. Nom nom nom.

It's been a good time, but ya'll are right. I haven't done any truck stuff. I've got limited time to put the log splitter together (borrowed welder) so it'll be a little while till I get trucky again. I'll have alot of the splitter put together next weekend and the following weekend. It's gonna get colder pretty quick though and when it does I'll be done outside till spring, just a heads up. Like molasses I dont move much when it gets below 60 degrees. Brrr!

BarryGMC October 22nd, 2013 02:43 AM

60 degrees? Crap it's barely got above 60 for while. Love it.... New roofs and painting are on right now. Most of my work is done in the shop when it's cold. 50 to 60 is best inside. I can't handle it above 75 and 20 percent humidity. Well we are all different.

tommyduncan October 23rd, 2013 02:44 AM

Just keep chipping away at it. That's how things get finished. Try to bare it long enough to get whole assemblies into the warmth and do what you can.
I just got mine back together finally. It was a chilly 82° here today.:poke:

FetchMeAPepsi November 8th, 2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50809)
60 degrees? Crap it's barely got above 60 for while. Love it.... New roofs and painting are on right now. Most of my work is done in the shop when it's cold. 50 to 60 is best inside. I can't handle it above 75 and 20 percent humidity. Well we are all different.

Yup! I know people up north call it garage weather or something like that. They have heaters in the garage and really get alot done. Me, I'm sitting on the heater vent until spring gets here, counting the seconds :lolflag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 50818)
Just keep chipping away at it. That's how things get finished. Try to bare it long enough to get whole assemblies into the warmth and do what you can.
I just got mine back together finally. It was a chilly 82° here today.:poke:

82! Man I'd kill for that. It was 64 today but yesterday it was 45!:noway::noway::noway:

I started a thread in the "other threads and projects" section on the wood splitter if you guys get bored and need some pictures. Once it's finished I'll try to get the transfer case put together. I'm missin my Cecilia again but I have to get this wood split before it gets super cold.

:morecoffee:

BarryGMC November 21st, 2013 05:59 PM

15 degrees this morning... The welding helmet keeps fogging up. So I am taking a break. I got your info yesterday. Today or tomorrow I will get Cecilia's Christmas present off to you. You know the ladies all like things that sparkle. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi November 22nd, 2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51157)
15 degrees this morning... The welding helmet keeps fogging up. So I am taking a break. I got your info yesterday. Today or tomorrow I will get Cecilia's Christmas present off to you. You know the ladies all like things that sparkle. Barry

Now I'm even more curious! It's a bunch of weld beads so I can study a master, isn't it? :lolsmack:

BarryGMC November 22nd, 2013 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No. Its just something from my family to yours. It's a little payment forward in life. Plus I think you have the best thread out there. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi November 22nd, 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51174)
No. Its just something from my family to yours. It's a little payment forward in life. Plus I think you have the best thread out there. Barry

Thanks Barry! You have a great lookin bunch of helpers there too!

If I still had birthdays it would be arriving on mine. Powder puff is looking forward to it too. She has a bet going that it's something made from chocolate :lolflag:

I'll keep an eye out. BTW, today it's 25 outside and sleeting like a mad dog. BRRR! I need to get that splitter finished ASAP! :whipit::notworthy:

FetchMeAPepsi December 4th, 2013 01:35 AM

A little truck update: tomorrow a storm blows through that is supposed to drop 2 inches of sleet and up to 8 inches of snow on us. Cecilia is parked outside now so I can park in my garage again and stay warm. To be outside means she'll get wet in the cab again when it rains or gets snowy. Why?

Well theres a hole somewhere that's leaking water into the cab. I haven't found it yet but it runs down the drivers side by the fuse box and into the transmission hump. it has left a nasty amount of pitting in the past so this winter I thought I'd put a stop to it for less than 4.00

Meet Cling-Wrap, the new 300 ft truck coating for those of us with small budgets and little imagination! It comes with this handy redheaded applicator too! What a bargain!

When its done you can put it on a shelf at Wal Mart or use it as a slip and slide!

With any luck it'll also keep the water out. If not I'll know it's coming from someplace else. where I have no clue!

BarryGMC December 4th, 2013 01:57 AM

It's probably the windshield seal. Get your self some liquid butyl sealant and try to get it under the seal. Or you can use some windshield adhesive. The stuff you use to set modern glass and get it into any cracks or pulled away spots on the seal. The second spot that may be giving you trouble is the drip rail seam that goes around the top of the cab. If it looks bad, grind out the rust and old sealant and get som DuPont seam sealant and lay a bead around the seam. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi December 4th, 2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51362)
It's probably the windshield seal. Get your self some liquid butyl sealant and try to get it under the seal. Or you can use some windshield adhesive. The stuff you use to set modern glass and get it into any cracks or pulled away spots on the seal. The second spot that may be giving you trouble is the drip rail seam that goes around the top of the cab. If it looks bad, grind out the rust and old sealant and get som DuPont seam sealant and lay a bead around the seam. Barry

My windshield seal is like concrete. is it supposed to be like that?

WDShaffer December 5th, 2013 03:07 AM

At 25 degrees, water is like concrete too. harbor freight sells plastic tarps pretty cheap, and it can double as a sun shade/spatter guard in the good weather.

FetchMeAPepsi December 5th, 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51362)

I'll order some liquid butyl sealant and see how that goes. I've got seam sealing on my list of repairs in spring :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 51383)
At 25 degrees, water is like concrete too. harbor freight sells plastic tarps pretty cheap, and it can double as a sun shade/spatter guard in the good weather.

LOL! That's true. My glass rubber is hard all the time though. It's like a black rock in summer or winter. I wonder if it's original to the truck and just crazy degraded? :poke:

I worry I'm going to crack the glass when I try to chisel it off.

WDShaffer December 5th, 2013 05:48 PM

When using a knife to cut the seal, be very careful with the point of the knife, if it snags the edge of the glass it could crack.
If you have never removed a glued-in window:
1) use a fine braided wire like a guitar string or piano wire
2) always apply force parallel to the glass edge, as any small bending or pressure force on the edge will quickly break the window
3) use a gentle sawing motion with the force applied towards the metal frame
4) take your time if you want to save the glass.

FetchMeAPepsi December 5th, 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 51385)
When using a knife to cut the seal, be very careful with the point of the knife, if it snags the edge of the glass it could crack.
If you have never removed a glued-in window:
1) use a fine braided wire like a guitar string or piano wire
2) always apply force parallel to the glass edge, as any small bending or pressure force on the edge will quickly break the window
3) use a gentle sawing motion with the force applied towards the metal frame
4) take your time if you want to save the glass.

I can't imagine a knife would cut this seal unless there's a power blade on it. I'm serious about how hard it is. It's like a rock. from the description there I guess this isnt normal. I dont want to break the glass of course but maybe I can take a propane torch to it or something and get it more pliable?
Just thinkin out loud