6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47735)

raycow September 2nd, 2013 12:17 AM

Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 49979)
Yeah, Ray, I agree with that angle, but didnt want to jump to conclusions since I can only look at an I 6 truck. Too short of a throwout bearing?

That's what I was wondering, or maybe a too-short ballstud. They are made in different lengths for Chevys, but I don't know if that's also true for GMC.

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi September 2nd, 2013 02:35 PM

Thanks guys. That clutch return spring, does anyone have a pic of where it hooks on to the fork? I didn't see any other piece like shown in Barry's pic. I guess I can bend a coathanger and make it fit on the spring. Could it be that the spring being off is causing a screeching?

BarryGMC September 2nd, 2013 02:49 PM

It's on the end right by the rod. You could go get a longer spring. That's why I showed you the length. Maybe the sqeek is from this but you should be able to recreate it when not moving.

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?

BarryGMC September 3rd, 2013 03:19 AM

Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.

GMCDAC September 3rd, 2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50019)
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?

Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50021)
Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.

I thought of that too! I put it in neutral today when I was trying to narrow it down. It still made the noise even when I wasn't rolling when I pushed the clutch in. I didn't know about the stick trick though. I'll be putting that one in my bag of tricks :D

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 50022)
Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

Got it! I'll take those two out tomorrow and try to get at the other four if my time doesn't run out. Kids are out again tomorrow so I should be free. If I can get it dropped out and look at the bearings, clutch etc I'm hoping I can see something obvious that needs fixing.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2013 11:08 PM

I got the transmission off today (4 semi-easy bolts) but the bellhousing is giving me fits. :pullinghairout::pullinghairout::pullinghairout:

I got the crossmember bolts out and fought to get the other four out, but it still acts like it's not free.
i took loose the clutch piston thingy (hydraulics) too and the bottom bolt of the starter. Still not budging. Am I missing something or should I just put a jack under it and heave ho?

BarryGMC September 8th, 2013 03:54 PM

F.M.A.P. Dont pull the bell-housing. First its what supports the back of the engine. second you can fully service the clutch, through the bottom and bearing index hole.