6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting Video On YouTube (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51433)

BobBray October 1st, 2022 05:31 PM

Interesting Video On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWQYATsZ-M

Funky61 October 1st, 2022 06:57 PM

Re: Interesting Video On YouTube

That was a Fun-to-Watch video, not only for the V-6 information, but also the other tidbits like the bus and safety history. Nice to read the comments too as folks reminisce.

Thanks for posting, Bob

BobBray October 2nd, 2022 04:46 AM

That guy makes good videos on obscure vehicles.

Prowbar October 2nd, 2022 01:17 PM

I agree, a wealth of knowledge. What I don't understand is that he has a massive library of all (rare) brochures/folders automotive-related - when he uses them for reference in his videos he draws them full of lines and arrows. In my book that is a shame.

POWERSTROKE December 13th, 2022 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 76187)
That guy makes good videos on obscure vehicles.

BOB - He had a show where he wandered around junk yards all over the south and south-west looking for scrapped muscle cars to restore. It was amazing how much info he had on 20 & 30 year old cars, just like a Walking-Talking service manual.
Then he had a show briefly where he mixed & matched parts out of plastic car models to make custom cars and one-off race cars.
Nice to see he knows trucks too. That 637 Cid GMC V-8 was the biggest displacement V8 GM ever produced. But Ford kinda out-did them with their 1100 CID V-8, 3/4ths of a 1650 cid V-12 airplane engine, only 500 hp but gobs and gobs of torque. Most of the V-8's were used in WW2 Era Sherman tanks.

BobBray December 19th, 2022 07:22 AM

Well, actually the biggest V-8's GM ever produced were the 8 cylinder EMD locomotive diesels. The 567B version in the SW8 was 4,392 cublic inches!

POWERSTROKE December 21st, 2022 07:48 PM

The alloy steel foundry I worked for a division of poured cylinder heads for locomotive engines that I'm pretty sure we're EMD. Talk about heavy! I could move them but didn't ever try to lift one, I had my own large variety of castings to expedite. Those heads had 4 ports and valve seats and a central bore for an injector.
A diesel engine for a huge ship like a container ship is another really huge engine, but not really intended for personal transportation on land in any kind of a licensed road-going vehicle. I've driven 18-wheelers with anywhere from 426, to 552 to 736, to 855, and 903 Cid, never drove anything with an 1150 Cid Cummins.
The IH 478 Cid Gas V-8 was a compact engine for it's displacement, hard to believe that tiny Carter 2 bbl carb fed it. Got about 3 mpg, drained two 50 gallon gas tanks sometimes twice a day. I've seen several large V-12 Airplane engines, mostly Allison's in modified tractor pulling tractors. They really burn the gas too.

George Bongert December 22nd, 2022 10:53 AM

Greetings to all GMC Truck Club members!!

I would like to wish everyone on this forum a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year! The forecast is for unfavorable weather conditions and extremely cold wind chill factors, so please stay safe during this cold snap!

George Bongert

Ed Snyder December 23rd, 2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 76496)
Greetings to all GMC Truck Club members!!

I would like to wish everyone on this forum a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year! The forecast is for unfavorable weather conditions and extremely cold wind chill factors, so please stay safe during this cold snap!

George Bongert

Not to rub it in, but the weatherman says it will be 57 degrees here in Medford on Christmas day.

Merry Christmas to all of you GMC fans!

George Bongert December 23rd, 2022 01:30 PM

Greetings, Ed!

I'll gladly trade places with you. Here in Oshkosh WI it is currently -10 with a wind chill of -35! To say that I am disenchanted with winter would be an understatement!!