6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My oil filter solution. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51141)

James May 31st, 2021 09:29 PM

My oil filter solution.

6 Attachment(s)
I thought I try a different approach in resolving the canister oil filter. I design and had a machine shop made an adapter bolt and plate. My adapter can use any filter the small or big block Chevy can use. Next weekend I will be installing my new adapter. This setup also keep the original oil by-pass valve. And If I wanted to convert it back it would be no problem, but why would I.

Funky61 May 31st, 2021 09:57 PM

Re: My oil filter solution.

Oh My James that looks AMAZING! Any more planned in the future; I'd be interested in one.
Tuned in for the follow-up :welldone: :coolphotos:

Funky61 June 1st, 2021 06:28 PM

A Bump for Excellence!

63gmc4x4 June 4th, 2021 02:28 PM

Thats a cool idea, how big are the holes? Maybe oblong them out alittle more for better flow

James June 5th, 2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63gmc4x4 (Post 74178)
Thats a cool idea, how big are the holes? Maybe oblong them out alittle more for better flow

The hole area is bigger the the filter holes and about the same (when combined) as the threaded bolt hole for the filter.

James June 5th, 2021 07:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed my new oil filter adapter with mixed results. Removed the canister/filter and gasket. Installation of the new adapter went well, everything fit. Could not install the tall oil filter due to the stock exhaust system is in the way. Checked the oil level it was full, so I started the engine. Good thing I place the drain pan under the filter. The adapter plate, on the aft side, was streaming oil. :banghead: Shut down the engine took the adapter off and double check the mating surface, everything clean (no gasket material). Reassembled and tried again. Same problems. Took it apart again and placed the old gasket back in, thinking the seal need more compression. Installed the adapter/filter. Ran the engine, no leaks. Topped off the oil. Went on a 74 miles trip around the country side, no leaks. Next time I change oil I'll look deeper into why it leak. :rowdybeer:

bigblockv6 June 5th, 2021 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9069 Another alternative is a spin on adapter for Detroit Diesels as they share the same filter cannister as the gas GMC V6

James June 5th, 2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 74184)
Attachment 9069 Another alternative is a spin on adapter for Detroit Diesels as they share the same filter cannister as the gas GMC V6

Has anyone use one of these? The stud that screw into the engine look like fine threads, the engine uses coarse threads. The oil filter threads is large 1-1/2-12, how common is the filter?

Funky61 June 6th, 2021 08:27 PM

James, that canister photo is what I have under my 62, and access was tough because the exhaust had been pushed up on it. It was a challenge to get it up there so I can see why you made the conversion plate.

Funky61 September 19th, 2021 11:32 PM

FYI; that ACDELCO K4 adapter will not work