6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48773)

bigblockv6 July 25th, 2016 06:54 AM

Re: 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

If you want to go to .060 gap, that's something I just did recently on the plugs then get some HEI spec plugs. I found AC R44XLS6 PLUGS have the correct 3/4 reach and are within the heat range. These plugs are actually for a 90's GM 4 cylinder application:ok:

TJ's GMC July 25th, 2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62972)
If you want to go to .060 gap, that's something I just did recently on the plugs then get some HEI spec plugs. I found AC R44XLS6 PLUGS have the correct 3/4 reach and are within the heat range. These plugs are actually for a 90's GM 4 cylinder application:ok:

Cool! I'll look into a set! I have NGK's in it right now. Was gonna gap then at .045 or .050 and see how the engine responds. Have to clean out the spark plug galleys again cause they have pine needles! lol

TJ's GMC July 31st, 2016 05:14 AM

Well today we had a car show in Grants Pass which is about 36 miles from me. Crustine did great on the way up and through the day, but on the way back everything went hay wire. Bout half way home I lost power going up a grade. That I believe was due to vapor lock as the metal fuel filter was pretty hot. Was able to make it home by putting a cold wet rag on the filter. Then this evening I readjusted the timing to 6 degrees and took it for a short drive. She ran like normal. Come home and I hear water leaking. :pullinghairout: Now I have a stinkin water leak coming from the back or side of the block. Oh well...guess ya gotta pay to have fun. Hope it's not a fricken freeze plug cause the one on the back of the head is sure a pitb to get to. Crustine might be down for awhile. Can't keep up.

TJ's GMC August 1st, 2016 05:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well guys, today I spent the whole darn day pulling the engine....****...in the time it took to pull this motor I had the cab, front clip, bed, and motor and tranny out of my 66! lol What a pita this was to pull. Didn't help that I had to separate the trans at all. Least with the bell housing design of the chevy 6 you can separate it from the engine without having to take the stinkin flywheel off! :pullinghairout: Well, motor is out. I am going to do a full reseal and install a new flywheel(If I can get one), clutch, and pressure plate. As you will see in the pictures they are toast. Also broke a motor mount so I will need one of them. Least the motor will look nice again. Gonna paint it up. Debating weather I should do the red or go detroit diesel green. Guess I could try both and see. lol

TJ's GMC August 1st, 2016 05:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
2nd set of pictures. Nice chuck out of the clutch there. NOT my driving.

David R Leifheit August 1st, 2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 63028)
Well guys, today I spent the whole darn day pulling the engine....****...in the time it took to pull this motor I had the cab, front clip, bed, and motor and tranny out of my 66! lol What a pita this was to pull.

And this is why when I pull the motor from one of my trucks, I remove the front clip. Once the front clip is gone... comes out easily.
Well, once you remember to remove the shifter off the transmission (if a toploader) it comes out and then goes back in relatively easy.

TJ's GMC August 1st, 2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 63030)
And this is why when I pull the motor from one of my trucks, I remove the front clip. Once the front clip is gone... comes out easily.
Well, once you remember to remove the shifter off the transmission (if a toploader) it comes out and then goes back in relatively easy.

Reason my 292 was easy was because I could separate the bell housing from the block without having to take the stinkin flywheel and pressure plate off. lol Once I got the trans separated the engine pulled out with ease. Heavy beast, but it came out. Going back in will be another story.

TJ's GMC August 2nd, 2016 07:34 AM

Well it is Monday the 1st and the time is 11:28 PM. After 8 hours of work I came home and started straight into tearing this engine down. And didn't stop until 11 pm. What a stinkin pain. Ending up that I have to pull the crank shaft out so I can replace the rear main seal. Which has revealed to me the rod and main bearings. Ugh. For a fairly low mileage engine...they suck. But the sucker didn't knock so they are gonna stay and go right back where they came from. Crank is sure a beast. That'll be fun lifting out...all on account of a stupid rear main seal. :pullinghairout: Darn thing better not leak a drop of nothing after all this work. Should look nice at least. I'm exhausted....had a 14 hour day. lol Glad I have the day off of work tomorrow.

TJ's GMC August 3rd, 2016 03:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got busy on it again today. Removed the crank and ripped out the old rear main. Now I am waiting on my gasket set, rod and main bearings(they need replace), and a new timing chain. Clutch kit should be here Wednesday. Also have a new oil pump on order as well. Got to work on cleaning the engine up and I painted the oil pan and motor mounts.

TJ's GMC August 3rd, 2016 03:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Crankshaft weighs a Ton! And these are the largest main caps I have seen yet. Sheesh!