6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Distributor Model Number and Removal Questions (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47934)

jrmunn December 16th, 2013 04:14 AM

Distributor Model Number and Removal Questions

I plan on putting a Pertronix Ignitor in my 1964 GMC pickup with a 305E V6 engine to replace points that have been a problem to change and adjust. This requires both knowing the distributor number, to get the correct Ignitor parts, and being able to remove the distributor. As I understand it, two distributors were used on these V6 engines. One with a larger, screw-on rotor and the other with a smaller, push-on rotor. I have the smaller, push-on rotor model.

With the distributor buried at the back of the engine, where it is very hard to work on or remove to find a distributor number, can anyone tell me what the distributor number or Pertronix part number would be?

Also, the firewall on this pickup overhangs the engine above the distributor, so I would like to be sure that I can remove the distributor without pulling the engine forward?

Thank you for any information or advice to help with this project.

jrmunn

Ed Snyder December 16th, 2013 04:27 AM

Re: Distributor Model Number and Removal Questions

JR --

You don't have to remove the distributor to install a Pertronix unit. Installation is simple and should take no more than a half hour. I've always ordered mine from Retrorockets. The one you want is model 1162A.

See: http://vintageperformance.com/retror...mc%20truck.htm

jrmunn December 16th, 2013 04:57 PM

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your experience and parts source! I am glad to hear that installing the Ignitor is not difficult. But, in my case, I can't seem to even open and close the hood in 1/2 hour.

I do have a follow-up question. About six months ago, I replaced the coil, cap, rotor, points, ignition wires, and plugs. Will all of this (except the points) work with a Pertronix Ignitor? In particular, I would like to know before I start whether I need a different coil. I have also seen some mention of a resistance wire between the ignition switch and the coil, but don't know if this would apply, or make a difference, to my pickup.

And what do you use for plugs? I had a set of unused plugs that was purchased years ago, but it seems that these plugs aren't available any more.

Thank you again for the help!

JRMunn

Ed Snyder December 19th, 2013 11:54 PM

JR --

All your recently installed parts will work fine. I've used the Pertronix upgrade coil, but the stock coil should be satisfactory.

You should replace the resistor wire with normal wire.

I don't remember which spark plugs I've used. I'm not near my trucks right now. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can chime in.

FetchMeAPepsi December 20th, 2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 51493)
JR --

All your recently installed parts will work fine. I've used the Pertronix upgrade coil, but the stock coil should be satisfactory.

You should replace the resistor wire with normal wire.

I don't remember which spark plugs I've used. I'm not near my trucks right now. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can chime in.

Yeah and save that resistor wire. Someone will want it (me if no one else!)

melmashman December 26th, 2013 12:03 AM

I replace the coil. I was told that this must be done. I guess it depends who you ask, but that was the recommendation from the manufacturer. I did not want to take a chance. My 1965 305E is running fine with it. History: When I took it to Alaska from central California in 2008 I had to replace the points several times. I really had trouble finding a spare condenser. This electronic solution sure seems to make a lot of sense.