6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Newbi here from Cave Junction, Oregon. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48693)

TJ's GMC March 15th, 2015 02:50 AM

Newbi here from Cave Junction, Oregon.

1 Attachment(s)
Been lurking around here for awhile and decided to join because about 2 weeks ago I purchased a 64 GMC 3/4(1500) with the 305E and 4 speed. Factory power steering and brakes. Drove it home. Paid $500 for her. :thumbsup: Starts and runs like a champ. Been driving chevys and been restoring my 66 for a few years now and so coming into the GMC world is new. lol So my plans for the truck as of now is a tune up on the engine, replace the front glass, fix the mirrors, get the brakes adjusted correctly, and drive the wheels off it. Then after I get my 66 chevy done I plan to restore this one and have some fun with the 305E. But for now here is a picture and a video. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4W-9uhIfE

Cayoterun March 15th, 2015 05:43 PM

Re: Newbi here from Cave Junction, Oregon.

Welcome to the forum: Looks like you got a good buy on the '64. You'll probably find there are some differences and challenges between the Jimmie, and Chevys. It's well worth it, tho. They're tough old brutes. Warning: They are addictive, Ya' can't stop and just one. Hope you enjoy your resto, and use.

TJ's GMC March 15th, 2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 57201)
Welcome to the forum: Looks like you got a good buy on the '64. You'll probably find there are some differences and challenges between the Jimmie, and Chevys. It's well worth it, tho. They're tough old brutes. Warning: They are addictive, Ya' can't stop and just one. Hope you enjoy your resto, and use.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes they are addictive for darn sure. lol

snazzypig March 16th, 2015 05:30 AM

Looks like a great truck for the money! Just watched your video. You were wondering about the gadget on the floor. That is the foot operated bulb pump for the windshield washer. Looks like a GMC accessory, but similar types were available for for other vehicles. If its like mine, it should have a vinyl bag for the washer fluid mounted under the hood. Have fun with it!

Ed Snyder March 16th, 2015 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 57192)
Been lurking around here for awhile and decided to join because about 2 weeks ago I purchased a 64 GMC 3/4(1500) with the 305E and 4 speed. Factory power steering and brakes. Drove it home. Paid $500 for her.

Give me a call next time you're in the Medford area, TJ. I can probably help you with some parts. 541-899-5744.

TJ's GMC March 16th, 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snazzypig (Post 57210)
Looks like a great truck for the money! Just watched your video. You were wondering about the gadget on the floor. That is the foot operated bulb pump for the windshield washer. Looks like a GMC accessory, but similar types were available for for other vehicles. If its like mine, it should have a vinyl bag for the washer fluid mounted under the hood. Have fun with it!

Thanks! Yeah on another forum they mentioned something about that being a foot operated windshield washer. I haven't seen any tank under the hood for the fluid. I'll follow the hoses and see what I come up with. Thanks for the reply!

TJ's GMC March 16th, 2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 57211)
Give me a call next time you're in the Medford area, TJ. I can probably help you with some parts. 541-899-5744.

Thanks Ed! Sure will!

TJ's GMC March 17th, 2015 03:33 AM

so on my 305 vs other 305's...i've noticed mine has the "sideways" thermostat. If you've seen the video you'll see where the rad hose connects it is sideways which makes me wonder if this isn't the correct year or something?

bigblockv6 March 17th, 2015 04:37 AM

Looking at the video the reason you have the side mounted thermostat is because at some point someone changed the water manifold/ thermostat housing to the 1967-69 type, could be because there was a upper radiator hose that fit without modifications. A similar situation on 67-69 trucks is to use an inline six upper radiator hose with a 75-81 Pontiac V8 firebird thermostat housing.

TJ's GMC March 17th, 2015 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 57228)
Looking at the video the reason you have the side mounted thermostat is because at some point someone changed the water manifold/ thermostat housing to the 1967-69 type, could be because there was a upper radiator hose that fit without modifications. A similar situation on 67-69 trucks is to use an inline six upper radiator hose with a 75-81 Pontiac V8 firebird thermostat housing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if that's a newer 67-69 engine.