6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   fixing up my 1963 1500 Custom in Michigan (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47702)

Snags August 14th, 2013 03:13 AM

fixing up my 1963 1500 Custom in Michigan

1 Attachment(s)
I'm fixing up my truck and plan on painting it and getting in daily driver shape. This will not be a frame off restoration, just a nice paint job and fix any mechanical issues or perform preventative maintenance. I've taken off the camper and put a wide-side bed on it. I've got it running but need to take a look at the clutch, it won't disengage. Here's a couple of questions for you smarter more experienced guys:

1. I was thinking of pulling the engine to clean it up and paint it, and also paint the inner fenders and fire wall while I'm at it. Is pulling and installing the GMC v6 fairly straightforward and not very time consuming? Or am I just asking for more head aches than it's worth to have a clean engine and freshly painted engine compartment? I will have a engine hoist and stand to borrow.

2. If I do end up pulling the engine are there things I should replace or perform maintenance on while it's out? For example, should I replace the head gaskets while it's out, or put in a new water pump?? Other things??

3. I'm doing this work while staying with family in west Michigan and was wondering if any members are in the area?

David R Leifheit August 14th, 2013 03:47 PM

Re: fixing up my 1963 1500 Custom in Michigan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snags (Post 49755)
1. I was thinking of pulling the engine to clean it up and paint it, and also paint the inner fenders and fire wall while I'm at it. Is pulling and installing the GMC v6 fairly straightforward and not very time consuming? Or am I just asking for more head aches than it's worth to have a clean engine and freshly painted engine compartment? I will have a engine hoist and stand to borrow.

My suggestion would be to just pull the front clip off. Of course that is what I do when I remove the engine as well since it makes it easier to get to everything.

But if you removed the front clip, you could get to the engine with a pressure washer and clean it, and probably paint it right there fastened to the truck. Maybe not a show quality paint job, but a decent one at least if you are careful.

You could clean the inside of the fenders and such while they are off the truck as well and could paint them at that time.

tommyduncan August 14th, 2013 05:13 PM

Re: fixing up my 1963 1500 Custom in Michigan

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49760)
My suggestion would be to just pull the front clip off. Of course that is what I do when I remove the engine as well since it makes it easier to get to everything.

But if you removed the front clip, you could get to the engine with a pressure washer and clean it, and probably paint it right there fastened to the truck. Maybe not a show quality paint job, but a decent one at least if you are careful.

You could clean the inside of the fenders and such while they are off the truck as well and could paint them at that time.

I've seen quite a few people remove the front clip in build reports. It must be a lot easier on these rigs than some other vehicles I've owned? As heavy as these V6s are and as high as they need to be lifted I will certainly look into this option myself.