6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bed Wood (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48426)

GMCNUT October 21st, 2014 03:18 PM

Re: Bed Wood

if you want the toughest wood, you can buy whats locally known as "ironwood" or "Ipe" (pronounced ee-pay) which is rock hard Brazilian Walnut. You cannot get screws or nails in it - has to be pre-drilled. Google it - super for decking and other weather-resistant uses.

aphaynes October 21st, 2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 55041)
if you want the toughest wood, you can buy whats locally known as "ironwood" or "Ipe" (pronounced ee-pay) which is rock hard Brazilian Walnut. You cannot get screws or nails in it - has to be pre-drilled. Google it - super for decking and other weather-resistant uses.

Hmmm...never heard of that one. I'll check it out.

Clarke October 22nd, 2014 03:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't remember the measurements, except I remember the boards are longer than 8', so I had to buy 10' boards. I think they were one inch over 8'? I measured the orig boards and duplicated the dado/shallow rabbit. I used white oak and I put Thompson water seal on mine every year. It's four years old and it's not uncommon for it to sit outside.

I painted the inside of the bed and the metal rails with bedliner paint, and installed stainless hardware.

I still use it as a truck... I can easily patch paint the bedliner paint and it doesn't look like it was patched. I carry a tarp behind the seat to help protect the wood.

If I attached the picture correctly, there should be a picture attached that I took last month for insurance.

FetchMeAPepsi October 27th, 2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 55061)
I don't remember the measurements, except I remember the boards are longer than 8', so I had to buy 10' boards. I think they were one inch over 8'? I measured the orig boards and duplicated the dado/shallow rabbit. I used white oak and I put Thompson water seal on mine every year. It's four years old and it's not uncommon for it to sit outside.

I painted the inside of the bed and the metal rails with bedliner paint, and installed stainless hardware.

I still use it as a truck... I can easily patch paint the bedliner paint and it doesn't look like it was patched. I carry a tarp behind the seat to help protect the wood.

If I attached the picture correctly, there should be a picture attached that I took last month for insurance.

I like the painted inside there Clarke. I might do that with Cecilia once I get her bed back to good.

Oh, and Aphaynes here's some stuff I found that I might use to treat my oak boards. I don't know that I'd bother with some exotic boards because you know they used pine from the factory and it lasted about 40 years in a working environment.

http://www.amazon.com/System-Starter...A1ZQ4RBIUH3AMZ

It cures clear and is for marine use. Tough stuff, supposedly.

aphaynes October 27th, 2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 55061)

Looks great! Yes, when I saw the length was 97 inches instead of 96 (8ft); I am thinking "really???" :banghead:

Thanks for all of the details!

aphaynes October 27th, 2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 55145)
I like the painted inside there Clarke. I might do that with Cecilia once I get her bed back to good.

Oh, and Aphaynes here's some stuff I found that I might use to treat my oak boards. I don't know that I'd bother with some exotic boards because you know they used pine from the factory and it lasted about 40 years in a working environment.

http://www.amazon.com/System-Starter...A1ZQ4RBIUH3AMZ

It cures clear and is for marine use. Tough stuff, supposedly.

How far down the 'ol to-do list is your bed work gonna be Fetch?

FetchMeAPepsi October 28th, 2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 55147)
How far down the 'ol to-do list is your bed work gonna be Fetch?

Dot dot dot......:winter:

I don't work well below 60 degrees, I freeze up like molasses so it'll be a while yet. Here's my wish-to-do list:
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend :(
  • Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

Once the back is done I'll work move to the cab, then to the engine I think. That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice :lolsmack:

aphaynes October 28th, 2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 55150)
Dot dot dot......:winter:

I don't work well below 60 degrees, I freeze up like molasses so it'll be a while yet. Here's my wish-to-do list:
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend :(
  • Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

Once the back is done I'll work move to the cab, then to the engine I think. That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice :lolsmack:

That's quite the list. I should probably make me a list rather than randomly jumping from one thing to next. :jumphappy: That has kept me from getting the signal canceler installed you graciously provided. I did finish my bumper. :ahhhh: You can see that on my build thread. Speaking of molasses, you should see what i used that for on my build thread as well. :ohgeesh: