6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Restored 1963 1500 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47694)

bdshumaker August 11th, 2013 06:25 PM

Restored 1963 1500

Hey all, I came across this beauty on EBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...orcev4exp=true

It's pretty high priced but absolutely gorgeous. One question though. Is tan the original color for the interior on a '63. What else doesn't jive?

Brian

raycow August 11th, 2013 10:59 PM

Re: Restored 1963 1500

That is a truly beautiful truck - no argument there. However, at $28K "reserve not met", I think I will leave it for a buyer who more fully appreciates the "RARE OPTIONAL 305 CUBIC-INCH V-6! BIG GMC V-6 POWER!" The ad was also wrong about the box being a wide-side.

Ray

GMCDAC August 11th, 2013 11:44 PM

Learn something new everyday! I never knew the Sierra model was around in this era of GMC's. It is a beauty but for that price you would think more pics would have been posted.

Later---DAC

tommyduncan August 12th, 2013 02:19 AM

If you hit "description" and scroll down towards the bottom there are about 30 pics.

It is a beautiful truck but tough to say what it will sell for. Someone might buy it just to drive a few times when they visit their ranch in Texas or Wyoming.

Plenty of things I would do different but I like it...

GMCDAC August 12th, 2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 49722)
If you hit "description" and scroll down towards the bottom there are about 30 pics.

It is a beautiful truck but tough to say what it will sell for. Someone might buy it just to drive a few times when they visit their ranch in Texas or Wyoming.

Plenty of things I would do different but I like it...

Ok Thanks!

bdshumaker August 12th, 2013 06:45 AM

I keep thinking, how much would it cost me to find a decent runner and do a frame-off resto? Probably close to 25k and with this one, all the work has been done-not exactly the way I would have done it, but like factory new. Then again, half the fun is tearing it apart and doing it yourself...right?

I'll keep looking for my project. Anyone got a '60-'61 short, wide side, custom, SM-420, rust free original runner in two tone stratus blue or flame red under $5k?

Brian

WDShaffer August 12th, 2013 05:44 PM

I'm with you DAC. I didn't realize they came with carpet, anything but flat grey dashboards, stainless bed strips, and varnished wood either. All that aside, it look real nice. I hope (dream) to have that much value in mine when finished.

Keep looking Brian...

GMCDAC August 13th, 2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 49728)
I'm with you DAC. I didn't realize they came with carpet, anything but flat grey dashboards, stainless bed strips, and varnished wood either. All that aside, it look real nice. I hope (dream) to have that much value in mine when finished.

Keep looking Brian...

Well my curiosity got the best of me because the oldest GMC Sierra I could remember was in the early 70's. According to Wiki, the Sierra was not introduced until 1971. I already read a slight mistake in the Wiki description though, it also states the GMC K5 Jimmy came out in 1969. That is not true, as the Jimmy was released the year after the Chevy Blazer, in 1970. I have a '70 Jimmy so I did the research a long time ago.

I also couldn't see anywhere in the pics of the truck in question any hint of it labled a "Sierra". Here's the Wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...0.E2.80.931966

I do think that it could be difficult to resto a truck up to that standard for under 25 grand or so but it looks a little "too perfect".

Later---DAC

bigblockv6 August 13th, 2013 03:00 AM

Wiki doesn't have the information on GMC trucks correct, it seems more Chevrolet biased to begin with. The Sierra and Sierra Grande trim packages were first introduced for the 1969 model year, the V6 was still available that year in pickups for the last time and only in 305 version. 67-68 still offered both the 305 and 351 V6 options, coil rear springs were reintroduced in the 69 model and of course that was a telltale sign that more GMC trucks were being assembled alongside Chevrolet trucks. To DAC you are right the Jimmy was introduced in 1970, never carried the K5 designation either in fact early promotional photos show the typical fender emblem used from 68-72 designating the Jimmy as a 1500 series.

Quigley August 13th, 2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raycow (Post 49717)
That is a truly beautiful truck - no argument there. However, at $28K "reserve not met", I think I will leave it for a buyer who more fully appreciates the "RARE OPTIONAL 305 CUBIC-INCH V-6! BIG GMC V-6 POWER!" The ad was also wrong about the box being a wide-side.

Ray

Restore one to that level and you will look back and say $28000 was a bargain!!:D

GMCDAC August 13th, 2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 49733)
Wiki doesn't have the information on GMC trucks correct, it seems more Chevrolet biased to begin with. The Sierra and Sierra Grande trim packages were first introduced for the 1969 model year, the V6 was still available that year in pickups for the last time and only in 305 version. 67-68 still offered both the 305 and 351 V6 options, coil rear springs were reintroduced in the 69 model and of course that was a telltale sign that more GMC trucks were being assembled alongside Chevrolet trucks. To DAC you are right the Jimmy was introduced in 1970, never carried the K5 designation either in fact early promotional photos show the typical fender emblem used from 68-72 designating the Jimmy as a 1500 series.

That info you supplied still falls into roughly the area of what my poor memory can come up with! The innacuracy of the Jimmy deal was my proof that Wiki may not be accurate with the other information. Yes K5 was never badged on the Jimmy of the first gen that I have ever seen. My fender emblems just say "GMC Jimmy".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49734)
Restore one to that level and you will look back and say $28000 was a bargain!!:D

Agreed!

Later---DAC

David R Leifheit August 13th, 2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49734)

Yes... and No...

They are never worth the amount put into them. And nothing will ever compensate you for the time you put into it, especially if it is a rebuild done with children or family.

Plus, over 28K at one time is a chunk of money, doing it yourself is more likely to be 28k+ over a period of years.

FetchMeAPepsi August 13th, 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49739)
Yes... and No...

They are never worth the amount put into them. And nothing will ever compensate you for the time you put into it, especially if it is a rebuild done with children or family.

Plus, over 28K at one time is a chunk of money, doing it yourself is more likely to be 28k+ over a period of years.

Amen to that! The days you're out there figuring things out, sweating, mashing fingers, and drinking cold cokes with the wee bebes are memories you'll have for the rest of your life. You wouldn't believe the random stuff you get to talk about when you spend time together doing stuff.

I'll never spend that much on Cecilia though. My budget is set at $4800. Why that? It's 10% of the national average income plus shipping to get her to me. If things ever get really, horribly bad I can probably sell her for that easily. It'll kill me, but I can do it if I have to.

bdshumaker August 14th, 2013 11:46 PM

Ok, but no one as yet has answered whether tan was used for interiors in 1963.

Andice August 19th, 2013 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No tan between 1960 and '66 as far as I know. Silver/gray on the '60-63 trucks and fawn/med brown in the '64-66 trucks with a few red ones thrown in the mix. Attached is a '64-65 GMC with original interior.

bdshumaker August 19th, 2013 10:50 AM

Thanks, Andice. Makes me wonder why this resto made the mistake.

tommyduncan August 19th, 2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdshumaker (Post 49841)
Thanks, Andice. Makes me wonder why this resto made the mistake.

I'm guessing he likes tan and originally built it for himself and not to sell. That is one of the least permanent and most appealing things to change to modernize a vehicle along with upholstery and steering wheel changes.

WDShaffer August 19th, 2013 09:06 PM

That explains why the PO of my '61 was rattle-can spraying the inside grey...I will be "modernizing" to tan myself, with a flat tan dash to replicate the flat grey of the original.

David R Leifheit August 19th, 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdshumaker (Post 49710)
Hey all, I came across this beauty on EBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...orcev4exp=true

It's pretty high priced but absolutely gorgeous. One question though. Is tan the original color for the interior on a '63. What else doesn't jive?

Brian

What else?
Truck needs a repaint.

Firewall is cab color, not black
Exterior color extends to the weatherstripping
interior colors wrong (which we already know)
Isn't the tailgate logo supposed to be painted?
Bed wood should be black, as I recall.
Dual exhaust is wrong
Looks like the wrong wheels, could be wrong though

Notice there is no place on the rear for a license plate...

Not so much of a restore, rather it is a rebuild.
So calling it a frame up restoration is about as accurate as saying it has the rare optional V6.

It would be more impressive if it had the plaid valve covers (wouldn't it be sad if they removed the plaid and painted them?)

(I know, I am picky... a restore implies a return to original new condition, a rebuild can be new original but usually has changes made to suit the builder/owner)

bigblockv6 August 20th, 2013 12:26 AM

You mean the firewall is painted black rather than the cab color. The problem I see in this so called restoration is whoever did it did not know the correct details of these trucks. To name a few other things that are wrong is the tailgate letters should be painted in aluminum, the grille background as well as the center support and background on the face of the hood should be a satin black, the exhaust manifolds should be yellow but that's only something that may be remembered from a person who bought one of these trucks brand new. A reproduction Delco battery of that era is also needed, the bolts holding down the fenders should be black anodized rather than the color of the fender and the list can go on!!

6066gmcguy August 20th, 2013 01:46 AM

I see some are picking on this poor RESTORED truck, but you know what? At least it still has the GMC Big Block V6.

But they list it as: RARE OPTIONAL 305 CUBIC-INCH V-6! BIG GMC V-6 POWER!
This was the Standard Engine in all GMC Pickups built from 1960-1966, so its niether Rare or Optional.

David R Leifheit August 20th, 2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 49846)
You mean the firewall is painted black rather than the cab color. The problem I see in this so called restoration is whoever did it did not know the correct details of these trucks.

yes, the firewall should be the same as the cab color. I phrased it very poorly...

I think people use the word 'restoration' when what they really mean is rebuilt.

David R Leifheit August 20th, 2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 49848)
I see some are picking on this poor RESTORED truck, but you know what? At least it still has the GMC Big Block V6.

But they list it as: RARE OPTIONAL 305 CUBIC-INCH V-6! BIG GMC V-6 POWER!
This was the Standard Engine in all GMC Pickups built from 1960-1966, so its niether Rare or Optional.

Exactly... this isn't a restored truck, this appears to be a truck someone did a quick rebuild on with the intent of selling it for the big money... it is the vehicle version of a "flip"... as evidenced by the vehicles in the background. The seller sells "restored" classic cars at as high of price as he can get.

Which begs the question... how much of this is actually a cosmetic rebuilt (a clean and repaint) instead of an actual frame up rebuild. I didn't see any pictures of the frame from underneath...

And apparently you are not supposed to drive it since there is no place to put the license plate... :)

bigblockv6 August 20th, 2013 05:09 AM

I see a lot of people thinking just because a vehicle is repainted and cleaned up overall calling it a restoration and being in the automotive trade I usually have to set themthem about what a restoration is, as in many cases you can call these repaints a refurbishment.

Quigley August 25th, 2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49853)
Exactly... this isn't a restored truck, this appears to be a truck someone did a quick rebuild on with the intent of selling it for the big money... it is the vehicle version of a "flip"... as evidenced by the vehicles in the background. The seller sells "restored" classic cars at as high of price as he can get.

Which begs the question... how much of this is actually a cosmetic rebuilt (a clean and repaint) instead of an actual frame up rebuild. I didn't see any pictures of the frame from underneath...

And apparently you are not supposed to drive it since there is no place to put the license plate... :)

Sure does not look like a quick rebuild to me. I guess I don't understand all the criticism of this truck. I see trucks that have been lowered with 22" wheels,set on a newer frame,jacked up,small block chevys,customized,and really crappy body work and it almost brings tears to my eyes.That truck is not 100% as new from factory, but looks VERY nice.Please post pictures of your nicer truck. Thanks, Dave

FetchMeAPepsi August 25th, 2013 08:27 PM

Nicer isnt the point, but i agree.. Lowered 22" wheels, a boomer radio that makes me want to carve the driver Dexter style, and all the rest of the "modernizations" that people do in the name of cool chap my butt. I'm not against a little convenience but a ghetto ride is just wrong.

This guy though is just lying through his teeth and hopin to make us appreciate the 122k he lost on the deal. "OMG man its awesome! Check dat phat trukk boyeeeeyyyy! I spent $122 big ones on it too, dawg! WOrf e'er penny!"

http://windypix.com/?dm=B2SC.jpg

Quigley August 25th, 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49880)
Nicer isnt the point, but i agree.. Lowered 22" wheels, a boomer radio that makes me want to carve the driver Dexter style, and all the rest of the "modernizations" that people do in the name of cool chap my butt. I'm not against a little convenience but a ghetto ride is just wrong.

This guy though is just lying through his teeth and hopin to make us appreciate the 122k he lost on the deal. "OMG man its awesome! Check dat phat trukk boyeeeeyyyy! I spent $122 big ones on it too, dawg! WOrf e'er penny!"

http://windypix.com/?dm=B2SC.jpg

He point is that truck does not deserve the criticism and I want to see the museum quality trucks owned by those who criticize.
:pullinghairout: Dave

FetchMeAPepsi August 25th, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49881)
He point is that truck does not deserve the criticism and I want to see the museum quality trucks owned by those who criticize.
:pullinghairout: Dave

Right, I see your point but his problem was with the terminology. Like Magazine vs Clip for shooters. It's not restored if you didn't make it like new. It's custom, rebuilt or a Resto-mod. But don't call it Restored.

Quigley August 25th, 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49883)
Right, I see your point but his problem was with the terminology. Like Magazine vs Clip for shooters. It's not restored if you didn't make it like new. It's custom, rebuilt or a Resto-mod. But don't call it Restored.

So if one nut or bolt is not perfectly correct it is not restored? It is very easy to criticize. I want to say that from the pictures of that 63 it is one very nice RESTORED truck. Thanks, Dave

FetchMeAPepsi August 25th, 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49885)
So if one nut or bolt is not perfectly correct it is not restored? It is very easy to criticize. I want to say that from the pictures of that 63 it is one very nice RESTORED truck. Thanks, Dave

That's pretty much it. Restored means to restore. To restore means to bring back to a former, original, or normal previous condition. So yeah, if it's not put back to the way it was then it's not "restored". It's just rebuilt. That's just the way it is. It's still nice, it's just not restored.

Quigley August 25th, 2013 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;49886]That's pretty much it. Restored means to restore. To restore means to bring back to a former, original, or normal previous condition. So yeah, if it's not put back to the way it was then it's not "restored". It's just rebuilt. That's just the way it is. It's still nice, it's just not restored.[/ Your missing my entire point. Read post#1.My entire point is that unless you have something better, and even then it is easy to bad mouth another persons truck.(Don't cost anything) Someone put a lot of time, money and work in to it. That 63 has no major issues. I like it. Have a Pepsi and chill! That all I got to say about that. Dave

BarryGMC August 26th, 2013 02:40 AM

Quit ripping on the truck. Everyone has an idea on what they like. I have saved more old rigs than most of you put together.... Have fun if you want to . Who ever saved this rig at least kept it a truck. No car crap. Interiors are hard on some of the trucks. And the over restored beds are the norm now. Just be glad that who ever buys it does not does not think that t5 trans and 350 engines are what all old rigs need.

tommyduncan August 26th, 2013 03:28 AM

Terms like "restored" have different meaning to different people. To a professional restorer it means something different than it does to a casual restorer. It is more stock than modified so to some it IS restored.
If someone knew enough about a professional restoration and what this truck would be worth restored they probably wouldn't bother unless they planned on keeping it.

David R Leifheit August 26th, 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49879)
Sure does not look like a quick rebuild to me. I guess I don't understand all the criticism of this truck. I see trucks that have been lowered with 22" wheels,set on a newer frame,jacked up,small block chevys,customized,and really crappy body work and it almost brings tears to my eyes.That truck is not 100% as new from factory, but looks VERY nice.Please post pictures of your nicer truck. Thanks, Dave

Did you read the advertisement for it?
No where does it say they rebuilt the motor, transmission, or axles.
No where does it say new brakes

The *only* thing the advertisement mentions is the cosmetics.

I have seen a lot of trucks and cars for sale, most have been proud to tell you what they did on every component. They also tend to show the underside, so you can see the work done there.

Without that, it is a pretty truck. All they mention and all you can see is that it has been cleaned and repainted. So it is a "quick" cosmetic fix.
Likely done in their shop, as a "quick flip".

Yes, it is a pretty truck. But for the money, I bet you can get one painted all purdy for about the same.
And since they don't seem to know anything about the truck (rare engine... uh, that is the default factory engine) it is fair to question whether they actually did anything beyond the visual.

I don't have to own one to see what is wrong with one.

I can't figure out the paint job though. It is *easier* to break the paint at the weatherstrip. The paint job they did suggests the truck was assembled and sprayed at once... which is not a "professional" method.
<quick edit>
looking at the pictures again, I would bet it was a "close doors and hood and shoot it" since it doesn't appear to be a sharp edge where the interior and exterior paints meet. So not a professional paint job...

David R Leifheit August 26th, 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 49889)
Quit ripping on the truck. Everyone has an idea on what they like. I have saved more old rigs than most of you put together.... Have fun if you want to . Who ever saved this rig at least kept it a truck. No car crap. Interiors are hard on some of the trucks. And the over restored beds are the norm now. Just be glad that who ever buys it does not does not think that t5 trans and 350 engines are what all old rigs need.

First, it is probably that dealer who repainted it.
Second, you have no idea what the buyer will do to it. If it sells.

Its pretty. And that is about all that can be said about it.
*I* could paint one up and make it look pretty. Doesn't mean it is worth anything though.

I figure if someone knows that little about the vehicle, and claims it is "restored" then it probably isn't and probably isn't more than a cosmetic paint job.

Used to be a guy on ebay who ran a "classic car" dealership where they "restored" the cars and sold them. His pictures showed runs in the paint, rust bubbles, etc and he still insisted there was nothing wrong and that they were flawless show pieces and worth every dime he was asking. This looks like a slightly better, but still questionable, operation.