6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Grampa's 60 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49111)

Walys60 May 3rd, 2016 03:54 PM

Re: Grampa's 60

4 Attachment(s)
Radiant barrier/batting complete! Still have insulation to do over the office/rooms (loft area) but will be a foam board/batting scenario, so little different.

Got the office all framed up. Put the can lights in and realized they're too tall for the 2x6 roof (sigh), so waiting for some shallow ones I ordered to come in. Just doing some organizing, mounting racks, etc. while I wait. Probably a good time for a break, some chronic pain setting in.

jbgroby May 4th, 2016 11:27 AM

Neat, gonna be nice

bobdylan May 4th, 2016 01:33 PM

I would have it full of junk projects before I got to that stage, and would not ever get to the point you are. Nice job.

TJ's GMC May 4th, 2016 03:21 PM

Looks good!

Walys60 May 4th, 2016 05:00 PM

Thanks all! I am ITCHING to start working IN it instead of ON it. Just need to get it usable during summer months is all. The walls will be sheeted externally with plywood and just exposed insulation on the inside on the office and bathroom (next on the framing list). sub-flooring on the top for the 'loft' area and all that JUST so I can reach the top of the building to put up the foam board/batting.

And that's how I'm going to leave it for the summer so I can get started on the projects. I'm using the tail gate off a buddy's trailer as gate in my wall to the house right now, so need to get a real gate made as my very first project. BUT, I will be pulling the truck in at that point as well and get started on some much needed maintenance.

It started making a squealing noise, almost like a slipping belt, but more metallic then that. And at the same time, it quit idling. I changed the oil and the noise went away and it idled perfectly again. After about a week, it started squealing and not idling again. I have a feeling there is a pile of sludge in the oil pan due to the engine being soaked with sea-foam/marvel miracle oil/etc. when I first rescued it after 22 years of sitting...and the oil pump is what is making the squealing noise. I have only started it up and let it run for 10 min at a time a couple times a month since then.

Anyway I figure on, at least, pulling the motor up enough to get to the rear main seal, pulling the pan and cleaning it out/putting on a new gasket. Also going to replace the valve cover gaskets since they're seeping too. At that, she should be in good running condition but not sure that, when I have the motor dis-mounted anyway, will I just go ahead and pull it out and the tranny and do a full resto on the body....(sigh) kinda spendy and might keep it out of commission longer than I wanted right now.

Opinions appreciated:
I had a shop do the work when I originally rescued it and they did all the new plug wires, distributor, general tune up stuff, brakes, master cylinder, flushed the gas tank, new filter/oil in the oil bath. So, my thoughts of replacing the main seal, pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, are there other recommended items I should look at if I decide to put it back together and run it for a while?

Thanks!

Walys60 May 4th, 2016 05:33 PM

oh...and on the 'crammed full of junk'...in previous pictures you'll notice both cars under the carport outside the shop. I HAVE a two car garage attached to the house! Yep, all the junk in it is waiting for me to get far enough along with the shop that I don't have to keep moving the ladder and the scaffold all over it...then it's coming over :).

Walys60 August 8th, 2017 04:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, it's been a while but I finally pulled her in the shop about 3 months ago and have an actual start! Including a couple shots of the shop where it is right now. Still a ways to go, but got it far enough along to get started on the truck.

The main part is the outside picture of the swamper :). That's the only way I'm able to do anything in the shop and I just got it fully assembled last week.

Walys60 August 8th, 2017 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then a shot under the hood. Got just about everything disconnected and motor mounts loose. Just need to remove the hood and remove the drive shaft, etc.. And I can start pulling :). Going to need some help with that so might be a week or so.

Should be all about the truck from here forward!

Walys60 August 22nd, 2017 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got talked into frame off, total restore (sigh), and this is following the news I tore the meniscus in my 'good' knee. Probably not going to be a quick turnaround on this.

Anyway, here it goes...

Walys60 August 28th, 2017 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just 4 more bolts on the drive shaft, a stuck nut on the hand brake, and then I'm down to the 4 bolts on the trans.

My brother should be by Friday, so hoping to have those few things done and the motor hanging from the chain when he gets here. Really not that much of a list, but I won't say how 'easy' it's going to be and jinx it :)

Walys60 August 28th, 2017 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some fun, black widow eggs wrapped up around the squirrel (or pack rat) scat.

Walys60 September 1st, 2017 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well we got an early start and managed to get the engine and trans pulled out yesterday. Though we had disconnected the clutch line, we failed to see that it was still attached with a bracket to the back of the motor until after tugging on it pretty hard and kinking it beyond use. Oh well, easy fix, very happy that's all the damage we did :).

Unfortunately there is a LOT more to removing the bell housing than I thought, so we didn't get it put on the stand. Back to just me so we're back in slow mode.

Walys60 September 18th, 2017 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, no meniscus tear! It's just a 'deep bone bruise'. Hurts like the dickens, but no repair required!

Anyway, not sure how much that news will speed this project up, but I did get the motor on the stand and stripped it down close to as far as I am going to. Still will take off the oil pan, filter, coil and fuel pump...but we're just talking a matter of minutes for that. Then at some point, my brother will be picking it up and he'll take it from there. That's going to be his main contribution to the project.

I took the fenders and the one door with the rust holes to a local body shop. I've been having second thoughts about it though. My Dad was trying to talk me through his version of what should happen to repair them myself. That went in one ear and out the other, I have NO intention of doing them myself, just way too much time in that. BUT, I started thinking, maybe he would want to do them if I took them to HIS house. We'll see. He and I have a tradition of going to the "Run to the Pines" car show in Pinetop every year so I will be seeing him this weekend and we'll chat about it. It would be nice to keep all the work in the family.

In the meantime, I've pretty much moved back to stripping it down. Just have the steering column and gas tank to get out of the cab and it's done. Starting to size up how to use my engine hoist to pick the cab off the frame. Should be interesting :)

TJ's GMC September 20th, 2017 03:27 PM

It was scary having my v6 on an engine stand....didn't sleep to well at nights. haha

Walys60 October 6th, 2017 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hehe, yeah, for sure TJ. I did finally take the chain off but I'm not moving it around much...just enough to get it out of the way.

I got the cab pretty close to ready to unbolt from the frame, and then I started going through all the suppliers and listing parts/prices. I was pretty excited at first...mostly looking at all the rubber parts and smalls so they were $6 here...$20 there. By the time I'd had enough for the day the total was about $3000! The only 'big' thing I had in the list was the body work I already have out to the body shop ($400 estimate). Anyway, that kind of made me decide to set it aside for a couple other projects I need to get done :). I probably have a 2-3 month wait before my brother takes the motor anyway.

I've got a speedometer drive and some new performance/maintenance parts to put on the Harley and I just bought a 1973 pinball machine to restore (cause I didn't have enough projects started). Attached a picture of the pinball machine in lieu of actual progress on the truck, lol.

Walys60 February 21st, 2020 06:02 PM

Well, it has been a while since I've updated. Really hasn't been much progress in the last 2.5 years unfortunately. I had so many projects going on that very little got done on the truck. I posted a few new pictures under the album for the truck.

Anyway, I finally got sick of the projects I DIDN'T want to do keeping from the projects I DO want to do so I basically gave them all away just to clear the shop out. I still have a pinball machine, a jukebox and the, never ending, shop improvements but I put the truck back on the #1 list ...at least until it gets hot again.

I've got about 20 of the stubborn bolts left and I'll have the truck bed wood and the last fender well out. and then 3 more cab bolts and I'll lift it off. That's it and and I'm DONE with disassembly!!! I get to start actually restoring things and...it almost makes me tear up...putting it back together!

Granted, there is a lot of prep, particularly for the body paint...but I'm going to start with the frame/undercarriage and hope to have that all done before it gets hot is the goal. Hopefully I will be updating more regularly now that I've got my priorities straitened out again :)

Walys60 February 24th, 2020 02:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Look what I did this weekend!

Walys60 March 2nd, 2020 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pushed it out next to the shop so I could start cleaning it. SHEESH! 3100 PSI washer seem to strengthen the resolve of the caked on grease. On the recommendation of a friend I bought a can of cheap oven cleaner and sprayed it down.

I've only used engine de-greaser on much less packed grease so I don't have a direct comparison, but I AM impressed with the oven cleaner so far. I soaked half the front end with it and let it sit for an hour or so then went after it with a putty knife. It had softened it up great. Unfortunately I ran out of gas on the pressure washer but I think if I spray it off and do one more oven cleaning and that should get me down to detail work. Give it a shot some time...I think it was $2 at Dollar General. Sure beats $6 a can (minimum) for de-greaser.

Walys60 December 8th, 2020 08:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I had mentioned in another thread that I am back working on her and how sad I am that I have to tear apart the front end considering it has original parts and is tighter than a drum. Hurt feelings or not, it only makes sense to replace those things while I'm in there, especially things like the control arm bushings/seals, as painful as they would be once the body is back on.

Anyway, I threw in a few tear-down pictures of the driver side (and the perfect ball joint had to pop out). If you look close you will see that they are before and after shots. I bought one of those cheap ($30) pressure washer sand blaster attachments and I have to say, it far exceeded epectations...so far. I have about 3-4 hours in wire brushing break parts, the spindle and the hub and that blaster did what you see there and more in about 20 minutes.

Since I'm actually 'restoring' now and not just tearing down, I decided I would start doing a video log as well. Mostly for my son who will eventually inherit it, but if you all are bored and want a laugh go take a look. Who knows, maybe it would help you out on something or...maybe you could stop me from doing something stupid :)

My Channel...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Ed Snyder December 9th, 2020 02:24 AM

Nice to see you're finally making more progress. Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming.

Funky61 December 9th, 2020 02:59 AM

Well done on the videos Walys60!

I commented, posted and liked. Digging the T-Bird too :welldone:

Walys60 December 9th, 2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 73440)
Nice to see you're finally making more progress. Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming.

Thanks Ed. Yeah, there have been a lot of starts and stops unfortunately. I'm kind of in a rush to get as much done as I can this winter as I've determined it IS just too dang hot to get any work done on it in the summer.

Daunting task. I've been able to keep motivated by using the 'how do you eat an elephant?...one bite at a time' thing. When I look at the whole truck and what has to be done, it seems like something that can never happen, but when I look at it like 'I just want to rebuild the front end and paint the frame' I have a more attainable goal.

Anyway, I appreciate the encouragement!

Walys60 December 9th, 2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 73441)
Well done on the videos Walys60!

I commented, posted and liked. Digging the T-Bird too :welldone:

Thanks Funky, I figured it was one of you guys :). Love the feedback too...I've never done anything like that so didn't know what needed to be worked on. I'll keep that in mind for the next uploads. The video part is another motivator. I try to do 'something' every day. Even if it's just take another couple of bolts loose.

James December 9th, 2020 10:01 PM

I noticed you use a cheater bar to remove the upper control arm. What I did is to use a thread chaser (similar to a die but don't cut any threads) on the exposed thread and then a shot of penetrating oil and the nuts come off easily. Just my thought.

Walys60 December 10th, 2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 73456)
I noticed you use a cheater bar to remove the upper control arm. What I did is to use a thread chaser (similar to a die but don't cut any threads) on the exposed thread and then a shot of penetrating oil and the nuts come off easily. Just my thought.

Thanks James, great tip. I did use a cheater and I tend to start with it whether I need it or not :). I actually am in process of uploading a new video and I mention on it that I can't seem to stop myself from using either a cheater or the breaker bar...assuming everything is torqued to high heaven, but they really aren't. For the most part I could use my ratchet without any help.

The threads aren't a problem on these because they've all been blasted but I will look up the 'thread chaser' for future bolts that aren't. Sounds like something I sure could have used along the way for sure.

Walys60 January 4th, 2021 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update. I am doing the youtube video log so I haven't been posting much here obviously. I've gotten the driver's side front about as far as I can get it without the new parts I have on order. Everything is painted (though I am going to have to redo the frame).

Of 3 major parts ordered that I have received so far, all 3 are not the correct part. This is the most frustrating part of the process so far. Calling the suppliers doesn't help either. They just repeat what I have already seen in their catalog and know nothing about cross referencing parts, etc. I'm just having to order and return and I guess that's how it will be for this project (sigh).

The pictures show the frame that I have to repaint because it rained shortly after and it is all bubbled, and the parts that are completed and ready to have the 'new' parts put back on, if I ever get the correct ones.

Walys60 October 28th, 2021 09:36 PM

Okay, I'm back and have a solution to the upper control arm shaft (I hope). Check out the video...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Prowbar October 31st, 2021 02:08 PM

Hello, interesting build. I would encourage to save as much OEM/original parts as possible, possibly repair rubber seals with new repro ones like on the control arm shafts. The OEM parts fit better and will last longer than any new repro stock.

Already subscribed to your Youtube channel, will follow the progress. Good luck!

Walys60 November 1st, 2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowbar (Post 74817)
Hello, interesting build. I would encourage to save as much OEM/original parts as possible, possibly repair rubber seals with new repro ones like on the control arm shafts. The OEM parts fit better and will last longer than any new repro stock.

Already subscribed to your Youtube channel, will follow the progress. Good luck!

Thanks Prowbar! Definitely trying to keep it as stock as possible. The control arm shaft I'm using isn't even a repro, it's just flat not the part for that truck at all! LOL...(sigh)...I've tried everything I could think of to get new seals for the originals I took off of it. They are still in great shape and new seals would really be all it would take but after exhausting all possibilities I'm left with this one option that 'works'.

I'm really hoping this parts thing is just the front end for the most part. I know I'm going to have to come up with something else for the front engine mounts too. But the rest is basically 'standard' for those years. The front is different because, not only is it a '60 but it's a 3/4 ton. But the rear end I 'think' is fairly standard between it and Chevy at least and, obviously, the body, trans and engine are common among all those year's models for the most part.

Anyway, I'll keep posting as it goes back together. As I mentioned in the video, all it takes is money :). I have to get both new lower control arm shafts now (I do have a line on those) and they are $250 a each...for lousy stinkin control arm shafts!!!?? Anyway, lol.

Walys60 January 28th, 2022 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I FINALLY got something DONE.

The driver's side front end is complete! Well, minus the shock. Anyway, I figured it has been while since I updated though I have still been posting videos on the youtube channel, so this seemed like a good time to do that.

I will post a parts list once I order the drinker's side parts. I'll look around to see if there is a better place to post it though so people could theoretically just do a complete front end for a 1960 GMC 1500 from the list if they wanted.

The reason I am waiting until I get the other side is because I am trying a different lower control arm than the one I got for the driver's side. The one I got for the driver's side was from 'performance online' and was $245. The reason I went with it is because the picture of it showed the conical seals and bushings that the original had and I had gotten burned by ordering one that 'looked' like the original shaft but the seals didn't. Anyway, the one I got for $245 was the right shaft but had the squared off seals and bushings anyway! It didn't make a lick of difference for the fit though so, great, it fits...but it cost TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTY FIVE BUCKS! On the other hand, Summit Racing has one it swears is for the '60 1500 that is $90 for a pair of them! It's worth a shot. Worst case, I have to send them back and order the $245 one.

So, if this works out, my list will be $331 (rounded up) which includes tax and shipping, per side. If I end up having to order the expensive shaft again, it will be $573 per side. As noted I haven't put shocks on it yet. Though, to even it out I DID do all the steering except the rag joint. I found a set of shocks in stock at the local O'reilly for $43 each so just hadn't bothered yet.

That's it for now

Walys60 February 3rd, 2023 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, got the front end finished. This isn't the 'latest' video but is the beginning of the end of the front

So, now here is my dilemma...I decided that I wanted to keep it 'patina'. The body is straight as an arrow and it really has the 'look' for a good patina truck. Or I should say it HAD the look. Once I started after it with the pressure washer, the white that painted over the seafoam back in 62 kind of went sideways.

I don't know, I'm a little too close to the project obviously and was hoping I could get some honest opinions of the patina as it is turning out. Either way I'm going to keep going with it...if I end up scrapping the patina and just repaint it all has to come off anyway.

Oh, also, there is a new product that clearcoats patina paint. Specially formulated to adhere to it (mechanically) vs. regular clearcoat which is designed to adhere to paint (chemically). So whatever I end up with after getting all the 'loose' pain off is then protected and will be stopped from deteriorating any further.

Anywho, let me know what you think please!

ilvracn February 6th, 2023 03:57 PM

parts of it look good and other parts do not look so good. try a da sander with med fine paper and see if you can feather it out a little. just my opinion

rick

Walys60 February 6th, 2023 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvracn (Post 76693)
parts of it look good and other parts do not look so good. try a da sander with med fine paper and see if you can feather it out a little. just my opinion

rick

Thanks for the feedback ilvracn! I have done a little work with 00 steel wool (see picture) and was going to move to 'ultra fine' scotchbrite next. I have been keeping it to a small area toward the front of the bed...maybe a foot from the front edge back. You can start to see a little blue coming through. I don't want to go too deep but that area is VERY rough texture wise so I have to get to something smoother at least.

Anyway, I will keep on going with it and will switch to the DA if needed as well. Thanks!

Walys60 March 6th, 2023 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, to start with here is a current picture of the frame minus the rear-end and the rear end itself. I finished the front end and pulled it back into the shop about a month ago and have been working on the rear end since then.

I have my usual parts problems at this point. I think I will post about the engine mounts in the engine forum but I'll just ask if anyone else has run into the problem of locating a pinion seal here.

It is the Dana 60 with a 4.10 and I just kind of figured this was going to be common enough to be easy but it isn't. I got 2 different ones from Autozone, checked the one O'reilly's had and ordered one from 'the car and truck shop' online and all of them were wrong. I have also spent quite a bit of time scrolling through pictures on Google and I don't see anything that 'looks' right. I know the replacement likely doesn't 'look' exactly like the original but I have to assume the seal 'form' is pretty similar along with the inside/outside diameters.

Anyway, this is a big hold up as I have otherwise finished the backend and it's ready to go back together.

Once I have it done, it will just be a matter of wire brushing/painting the under side and figuring out the motor mount situation. In the meantime we'll be getting the engine to the machine shop and get it done and ready to go back on the frame. Then that will just leave the body for next year. Fingers crossed.