6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   She made it home! (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50285)

soszynski January 31st, 2018 12:51 AM

She made it home!

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I would share some photos of the big day. There has been a good amount of snow here in VT and the weather calmed down enough to grab the old girl and tow her home. Haven't even checked the oil or coolant yet. So much to do, so little time!

BillT January 31st, 2018 01:14 AM

Re: She made it home!

Looks good.

There's those Spoke Wheels on the back that I was talking about the other day.

Keep us posted on it.

Funky61 January 31st, 2018 01:53 AM

Glad it made it to your home safely! Such a neat find; some more photos when you have time.

TJ's GMC January 31st, 2018 04:19 AM

Nice find!

POWERSTROKE February 3rd, 2018 05:35 PM

I echo the comments, Neat looking old truck! Lots of rare options on that truck, the front driving axle, snow plow brackets on front. Dump box looks in good shape, bet the hoist works too.

What engine does the old girl have? 401? Just a straight 5 speed transmission? 2 speed rear axle could become a problem with the front driving axle.

I rode around with the Boss one afternoon plowing snow with a 1967 C-65 with 366 & 5+2 with a really tall one-way angle blade plowing wet heavy drifted snow that fell just before Easter one year I was in college and home for spring break.

soszynski February 4th, 2018 12:55 AM

Thanks POWERSTROKE!
She is a 401 with a Clark 5 speed, but no 2 speed rear end. The plow did not come with rig. I can imagine what it might have been like, clearing 30 inches of show with the old wing plow in this thing. Just now going through all the details. Lots to absorb!

Ed Snyder February 4th, 2018 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soszynski (Post 68718)
Thanks POWERSTROKE!
She is a 401 with a Clark 5 speed, but no 2 speed rear end. The plow did not come with rig. I can imagine what it might have been like, clearing 30 inches of show with the old wing plow in this thing. Just now going through all the details. Lots to absorb!

I'll bet if you removed all that plow hardware off the front end you'd get 5.1 MPG instead of 5.0! :coolGMC2:

POWERSTROKE February 4th, 2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soszynski (Post 68718)
Thanks POWERSTROKE!

Wow! Guy that spec'd that truck out knew what he was doing and planned on moving some SNOW!

The township I worked for had both angle blades and big V-blades for the trucks and the Austin-Western 6x6 road grader. Throw a couple sets of chains on that monster with the big V blade and six foot drifts were no problem. It had a side mounted wing plow on it for widening out roads. Could almost roll snow over the fences into the fields. Dad only claimed two mailboxes during the two days he ran it one winter. That was during a record snow fall back in the 1960's.

The trucks both had Big channel iron frames that mounted on the fronts of the frames where the bumpers bolted on and ran clear back to right ahead of the rear axle to take lots of the stress off the truck frames. Put 5-6 ton of rock in the truck, put a set of chains on and they would clear most snows. Much faster than the grader too.

soszynski June 1st, 2018 10:17 PM

IT'S ALIVE! Very happy with this today. Been a lot of thinking and tinkering. The stuck motor let go last week. Compression checked in a 125 to 135 and oil pressure went to 50 psi with cranking. Many many steps to go! Fuel tanks and master cylinder next to see if I can maker roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbL...ature=youtu.be

Funky61 June 1st, 2018 10:20 PM

Congratulations! That 401 sounds so Sweet and Throaty too.