6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50669)

GMCTom July 15th, 2019 01:27 PM

1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton :)

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. Here are some pics

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I started with the back of the truck. Everything was extremley dirty but in good condition.

We removed the whole axle with the leaf springs. Cleaning an painting was a lot of work but I think it was worth it :)

I also removed the back hangers because the rivets were damaged

Every part was blastet, primed with zinc and painted black

Ordered some new rims. Luckily, they fit ;)

Added some new brake lines in stainless steele

I try to get the original parts. The front bumper and the parts for the headlights were new chrome plated.

At the moment i removed all parts out of the cab including the doors and the glas. The front is lowered 3 inches with new springs.

Next step is to remove the cab and the engine to finish the whole frame and the control arms in front and the brakes.

I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread. :thumbsup:

GMCTom July 16th, 2019 07:38 AM

Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Now the photos should work :ahhhh:

Funky61 July 16th, 2019 01:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Tom! Beautiful truck and nice work your doing on it. What does the lettering script on the front fenders say?

GMCTom July 16th, 2019 01:44 PM

Thank you Funky61 :)

The lettering is "DP Truck Center San Diego".

I think that was the dealer. I searched the internet but found nothing.

I bought the truck with California plates.

snazzypig July 16th, 2019 05:26 PM

Beautiful restoration work!! Congratulations.

Ed Snyder July 16th, 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTom (Post 71306)
Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton :)

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, Tom! Are the rest of the vehicles in your first photo yours too? I see a '67 to '72 GM truck there, as well as a Jeep or two.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Jolly's original site too:

Keep up the good work!

GMCTom July 17th, 2019 07:43 AM

Thank you everyone. Nice people here.

Ed, unfortunately not ;) The cars are from a friend of mine. He is the local US car dealer.

GMCTom July 25th, 2019 08:39 AM

Hi,

some update to the restoration. I cleaned the steering gear, replaced the seals, renewed the grease and paint it black.

GMCv6inND September 21st, 2019 02:35 PM

Your pickup is really coming along - keep up the great work and I’ll keep looking in on your progress. It must be a pretty good challenge restoring to this degree, so far away from all the parts sources?! I was stationed in Germany many years ago w an old Nova and my father sent me a lot of parts through the mail, including the whole exhaust system.
Your GMC is looking great!

GMCTom September 26th, 2019 12:50 PM

Thanks for your motivation :)

Concerning the parts sources you are right. Large parts like crossmember, trailing arms are hard to come by. Unfortunately, there are no US cars on our junkyards.
Everything else the price is ok, e.g. at Rockauto. Price for shipping is ok too. It is cheaper than restore a german car. The prices for spare parts for old cars like VW, Audi, Mercedes or BMW are extremely high.

Here are some new pictures for the 6066gmcclub.

Brakes, spindles, hubs, control arms, shaft, crossmember and the frame I have now completely taken apart. It is currently at sandblasting, priming and painting :D

The frame was painted in the back already by myself but in some places (rivets) unfortunately not perfect, because the rust from the surface could not be removed properly. Therefore completely sandblasting.

One question to all: on the last picture I've found this spring on the frame. What is the task of the spring?

The next pictures show the pedals, which are back from powder coating. They still have to be mounted.

I will post the photos in the next few days.