6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GMC Dash cluster lens (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51415)

Greg August 26th, 2022 12:43 PM

GMC Dash cluster lens

1 Attachment(s)
New to the forum, so sorry if this has been covered already. I'm looking to make the idiot light lens covers and was needing help on confirming the correct colors and lettering on lenses.

Attached is a pic of what I'm thinking is the correct color and lettering.

FetchMeAPepsi August 26th, 2022 04:50 PM

Re: GMC Dash cluster lens

That looks fine, but it's black lettering instead of white. Unless you're going for something different.

Prowbar August 26th, 2022 07:23 PM

On my 65 the letters are white on the back side and they are completely white (no borders)
The hi beam, gen, and low oil have red lenses. The turn sig has an orange lens and is marked:

TURN
SIG

I had to make a new turn sig lens, and while I have made the lens, I haven't found a good method to create the lettering. How are you going to approach this?

Greg August 26th, 2022 08:33 PM

I'm in the process of machining a mold to pour these out of epoxy. Trying to get the correct colors. I will machine the letters into the mold that will be raised on the backside of the lens. That should make it easy to brush some white paint on the raised section of letters.

Thanks for clarifying the turn signal markings and color.

Prowbar August 26th, 2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 76073)
I'm in the process of machining a mold to pour these out of epoxy. Trying to get the correct colors. I will machine the letters into the mold that will be raised on the backside of the lens. That should make it easy to brush some white paint on the raised section of letters.

Thanks for clarifying the turn signal markings and color.

I'd be interested in a correct turn sig lens, if you make a couple of spares.

lizziemeister'sV6 August 26th, 2022 10:51 PM

Turn signal lense color is green.

Greg August 27th, 2022 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowbar (Post 76074)
I'd be interested in a correct turn sig lens, if you make a couple of spares.

Will do!

LEWISMATKIN August 27th, 2022 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowbar (Post 76070)
on my 65 the letters are white on the back side and they are completely white (no borders)
the hi beam, gen, and low oil have red lenses. The turn sig has an orange lens and is marked:

Turn
sig

i had to make a new turn sig lens, and while i have made the lens, i haven't found a good method to create the lettering. How are you going to approach this?

all the lenses for the cluster are red except the turn signal which is green, according to the gmc parts manual.

Prowbar August 27th, 2022 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the lens color, here is how mine looked when I bought it. It was melted from the heat, I guess a bad bulb or something.

Here is the low oil pressure lens. It gives you a good idea about the font used. Note they are painted on the backside, letters are mirrored.

The turn sig should actually have the words centered, like:

TURN
SIG

Greg August 27th, 2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowbar (Post 76080)
Sorry about the lens color, here is how mine looked when I bought it. It was melted from the heat, I guess a bad bulb or something.

Here is the low oil pressure lens. It gives you a good idea about the font used. Note they are painted on the backside, letters are mirrored.

The turn sig should actually have the words centered, like:

TURN
SIG

Not a problem thanks for the help.