6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Restored 1963 1500 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47694)

GMCDAC August 13th, 2013 04:50 AM

Re: Restored 1963 1500

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 49733)
Wiki doesn't have the information on GMC trucks correct, it seems more Chevrolet biased to begin with. The Sierra and Sierra Grande trim packages were first introduced for the 1969 model year, the V6 was still available that year in pickups for the last time and only in 305 version. 67-68 still offered both the 305 and 351 V6 options, coil rear springs were reintroduced in the 69 model and of course that was a telltale sign that more GMC trucks were being assembled alongside Chevrolet trucks. To DAC you are right the Jimmy was introduced in 1970, never carried the K5 designation either in fact early promotional photos show the typical fender emblem used from 68-72 designating the Jimmy as a 1500 series.

That info you supplied still falls into roughly the area of what my poor memory can come up with! The innacuracy of the Jimmy deal was my proof that Wiki may not be accurate with the other information. Yes K5 was never badged on the Jimmy of the first gen that I have ever seen. My fender emblems just say "GMC Jimmy".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49734)
Restore one to that level and you will look back and say $28000 was a bargain!!:D

Agreed!

Later---DAC

David R Leifheit August 13th, 2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 49734)
Restore one to that level and you will look back and say $28000 was a bargain!!:D

Yes... and No...

They are never worth the amount put into them. And nothing will ever compensate you for the time you put into it, especially if it is a rebuild done with children or family.

Plus, over 28K at one time is a chunk of money, doing it yourself is more likely to be 28k+ over a period of years.

FetchMeAPepsi August 13th, 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49739)
Yes... and No...

They are never worth the amount put into them. And nothing will ever compensate you for the time you put into it, especially if it is a rebuild done with children or family.

Plus, over 28K at one time is a chunk of money, doing it yourself is more likely to be 28k+ over a period of years.

Amen to that! The days you're out there figuring things out, sweating, mashing fingers, and drinking cold cokes with the wee bebes are memories you'll have for the rest of your life. You wouldn't believe the random stuff you get to talk about when you spend time together doing stuff.

I'll never spend that much on Cecilia though. My budget is set at $4800. Why that? It's 10% of the national average income plus shipping to get her to me. If things ever get really, horribly bad I can probably sell her for that easily. It'll kill me, but I can do it if I have to.

bdshumaker August 14th, 2013 11:46 PM

Ok, but no one as yet has answered whether tan was used for interiors in 1963.

Andice August 19th, 2013 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No tan between 1960 and '66 as far as I know. Silver/gray on the '60-63 trucks and fawn/med brown in the '64-66 trucks with a few red ones thrown in the mix. Attached is a '64-65 GMC with original interior.

bdshumaker August 19th, 2013 10:50 AM

Thanks, Andice. Makes me wonder why this resto made the mistake.

tommyduncan August 19th, 2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdshumaker (Post 49841)
Thanks, Andice. Makes me wonder why this resto made the mistake.

I'm guessing he likes tan and originally built it for himself and not to sell. That is one of the least permanent and most appealing things to change to modernize a vehicle along with upholstery and steering wheel changes.

WDShaffer August 19th, 2013 09:06 PM

That explains why the PO of my '61 was rattle-can spraying the inside grey...I will be "modernizing" to tan myself, with a flat tan dash to replicate the flat grey of the original.

David R Leifheit August 19th, 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdshumaker (Post 49710)
Hey all, I came across this beauty on EBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...orcev4exp=true

It's pretty high priced but absolutely gorgeous. One question though. Is tan the original color for the interior on a '63. What else doesn't jive?

Brian

What else?
Truck needs a repaint.

Firewall is cab color, not black
Exterior color extends to the weatherstripping
interior colors wrong (which we already know)
Isn't the tailgate logo supposed to be painted?
Bed wood should be black, as I recall.
Dual exhaust is wrong
Looks like the wrong wheels, could be wrong though

Notice there is no place on the rear for a license plate...

Not so much of a restore, rather it is a rebuild.
So calling it a frame up restoration is about as accurate as saying it has the rare optional V6.

It would be more impressive if it had the plaid valve covers (wouldn't it be sad if they removed the plaid and painted them?)

(I know, I am picky... a restore implies a return to original new condition, a rebuild can be new original but usually has changes made to suit the builder/owner)

bigblockv6 August 20th, 2013 12:26 AM

You mean the firewall is painted black rather than the cab color. The problem I see in this so called restoration is whoever did it did not know the correct details of these trucks. To name a few other things that are wrong is the tailgate letters should be painted in aluminum, the grille background as well as the center support and background on the face of the hood should be a satin black, the exhaust manifolds should be yellow but that's only something that may be remembered from a person who bought one of these trucks brand new. A reproduction Delco battery of that era is also needed, the bolts holding down the fenders should be black anodized rather than the color of the fender and the list can go on!!