6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bolt in top of spin-on oil filter housing (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50645)

62Burb June 17th, 2019 11:08 AM

Bolt in top of spin-on oil filter housing

I have obtained a spin-on housing for my '63 305E, but it arrived w/o the tapered bolt in the top that communicates with the pressure relief valve. I can see that the tapered square head bolt from the canister housing fits this; is that all that is needed, or is it supposed to be vented? And, how can I locate whatever it is that is needed? The canister unit is going out as part of a swap/purchase; haven't heard from the seller why my spin-on arrive bolt-less.

Brad

Funky61 June 17th, 2019 01:46 PM

Re: Bolt in top of spin-on oil filter housing

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the missing bolt on top you are referring to?

Funky61 June 17th, 2019 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing you don't have an oil pressure gauge. I think you should have an oil pressure switch that would screw into that port.

I added an oil pressure cut-off switch along with the oil pressure gauge so I ended up with this; Before and after.

The top of the Spin-on does not have the two ports that I see on top of the canister, left and right side (The other being square top bolt you refer to)

*If you do not have the pressure switch or oil pressure gauge (I'd consider adding one), and if that bolt fits, then I'd use it. Otherwise oil will gush out!

62Burb June 17th, 2019 08:55 PM

So the idiot light/pressure switch is what screws into that? My SIL mechanic took the canister off, and I have been prepping the new housing so something was lost in translation. I do like the idea of an actual oil pressure gauge however, great idea!

Brad

snazzypig June 18th, 2019 05:06 AM

You probably know that you will have to make a new mounting gasket for the housing. Also, if the pressure relief valve is still in place (sometimes they are missing), the valve will go in place in either direction, but you can see the correct way if you search the forum here. Enter "relief valve" and you will find a post by AZKen with the word "Danger" which explains it. The valve is AC Delco 2501-3759.

62Burb June 18th, 2019 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, appreciate the help sorting this out. The pressure relief valve is in place correctly and gasket material in hand!

Rockdriller June 19th, 2019 05:54 AM

Nice.
And red too.
Nice and red.

Rockdriller June 19th, 2019 05:55 AM

Sorry.