6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Correct 60-66 GMC Wheel color? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47336)

GMCNUT January 30th, 2013 05:18 AM

Correct 60-66 GMC Wheel color?

I cannot remember what the correct White color is for 64-66 GMC wheels - is it Dover White? Does anyone know for sure and have a PPG or DuPont code for it?

sclor January 30th, 2013 01:48 PM

Re: Correct 60-66 GMC Wheel color?

GMCNut:
I believe it is Ivory- Ditzler no. 8290. See color chips here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...truck-pg02.jpg

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Steve

GMCNUT January 31st, 2013 05:53 AM

Thank you SCLOR - that is exactly what I needed

GVDobler February 17th, 2013 04:36 PM

Anybody know which does what??:confused:

Acrylic Enamel
Acrylic Urathane
Acrylic Lacquer
Urathane basecoat

I'm assuming Enamel for the wheels.

jbgroby February 17th, 2013 06:22 PM

I did mine the same at the top white Olympic White from the Paint Chip page.

GMCNUT February 17th, 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GVDobler (Post 47950)
Anybody know which does what??:confused:

Acrylic Enamel
Acrylic Urathane
Acrylic Lacquer
Urathane basecoat

I'm assuming Enamel for the wheels.

The consensus of my body man and the paint store where he gets his PPG paint from is that wheels should be shot in single stage Urethane Enamel only - not Acrylic anything and not basecoat anything....

Powdercoating is the #1 best method for any wheel but if you need to match a body color it may be that you have to use paint.

bigblockv6 February 18th, 2013 03:11 AM

PPG's single stage is an Acrylic Urethane, known as "Concept" or "Concept CLV". Single stage paints of today are for the most Urethane based whether it's Acylic Urethane, Polyurethane or just Urethane the latter two are a bit more durable over straight Urethane and all require a catalyst or Activator. There still are some old style Alkyd and Acylic Enamels available too depending on manufacturers and VOC regulations, these paints are usually termed as "Industrial Finishes".Dupont still has their Centari Acrylic Enamel available, this paint a remnant of the early 70's is durable and a lower cost alternative to the newer Urethanes. Out here in California with all the VOC regulations areas which include Los Angelas, San Francisco and all their surrounding areas we're stuck with water based base coats which require a low VOC Urethane based clear coat and that has become the standard with a majority of Auto Body shop, yet luckily a few smaller paint manufactures are offering lower VOC Acrylic Urethane basecoats now that actually produce less VOC over water based basecoats. Pete Chronis Northern Cal.

jimjaz March 2nd, 2013 09:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's an old page out of a book from forever ago that shows the 1963 and 1964 GMC colors that were available, for anyone interested. I have a much higher resolution (>2.5M) that refuses to convert for upload. You can e-mail me directly and I can send it to anyone interested.

Foley April 30th, 2013 07:45 PM

Great paint charts, thanks. Looking at the three different white colors, I was wondering if any of you knew which one would be correct for the painted front bumper + grille/headlights framework on my 64??

jimjaz May 2nd, 2013 05:10 PM

It's on the chart.
For 1963, it would be olympic white.
For 1964, it would be ivory or bone white.

If you are going for 100% original full-on restoration, do the original color. If not, then just pick a color that you would be happy with. Whatever you choose, it will put a smile on your face to see the thumbs up from folks who appreciate the old iron as you go tooling down the road.

R/
Jim