6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cold (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47927)

BarryGMC December 6th, 2013 03:32 AM

Cold

It was so cold today I had to run the heater on hi. It was loud enough to drown out the classic country station on the old am radio. Keep warm. Barry

David R Leifheit December 6th, 2013 04:56 PM

Re: Cold

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51391)
It was so cold today I had to run the heater on hi. It was loud enough to drown out the classic country station on the old am radio. Keep warm. Barry

One of my trucks, that I used to drive fairly regularly (until something from inside the engine punched a hole in the oil pan) came factory equipped with -no- heater. Defroster ducts aren't even installed (slots are there but that is it, the metal duct that fastens to the dash isn't there).

Nothing like driving it in the winter, wing windows open to keep airflow on the windshield so it didn't fog over. Fun times... :)

FetchMeAPepsi December 6th, 2013 07:04 PM

I'm snuggled up by the fire lookin out the window at the snow and yuck. My woodsplitter is covered in snow (didnt get THAT finished in time huh?) and cecilia's up to her knickers in the white stuff.

Is it spring yet? :lolflag:

You guys be safe if you have to go out there in your trucks. It's nasty across most of the US!

GMCDAC December 7th, 2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51391)

I listen to oldies country too, but all am around here is talk radio. I would get in trouble with Jeannie again if I said what I actually call talk radio---LOL!
Fortunately someone recently started an fm oldies country station!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 51393)
One of my trucks, that I used to drive fairly regularly (until something from inside the engine punched a hole in the oil pan) came factory equipped with -no- heater. Defroster ducts aren't even installed (slots are there but that is it, the metal duct that fastens to the dash isn't there).

Nothing like driving it in the winter, wing windows open to keep airflow on the windshield so it didn't fog over. Fun times... :)

Yeah I had to use the wing window method with the '70-72s I drove year round for decades. The defroster vent design on them basically clears a round hole that ain't quite the right height to see through without slouching!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 51394)
I'm snuggled up by the fire lookin out the window at the snow and yuck. My woodsplitter is covered in snow (didnt get THAT finished in time huh?) and cecilia's up to her knickers in the white stuff.

Is it spring yet? :lolflag:

You guys be safe if you have to go out there in your trucks. It's nasty across most of the US!

-3* here right now, got to -13* last night supposed to get down to -15* tonight. We are the warm spot in the area. 75 miles northeast they are talking -25* to -30* tonight. I forgot to say that our high today at work was +2*! Unfortunately I had to be out in it for most of the day.

DAC

Rockdriller December 7th, 2013 02:46 AM

Ahhhh....
Reeeefreshing...

We used to refer to that as "freesenmy*butt*off" cold.

I sherhopethatsokay with brass.

George Bongert December 7th, 2013 03:20 AM

Geetings to BarryGMC!

Heater was so loud you couldn't hear the radio eh? Sounds like your blower motor has seen better days and is on its way out. Cold here in Oshkosh WI as well, not as bad as what some of you are having right now. Currently 11 above zero with colder weather coming early next week. God I'm glad I don't have to venture out to the barn to milk cows anymore!

BarryGMC December 7th, 2013 03:45 AM

The blower motor and fan are from a 80's era burb. It moves a lot more air. So on high and defrost there is a lot of air moving through the ducts. Enough to really defrost these old cabs. However there is a lot of air noise through those small vents. Barry.

jbgroby December 7th, 2013 03:31 PM

well I can't add to the snow stories, but it is about 52 and I have to ride in a Christmas Parade as grand marshal (They need a target)

GMCDAC December 8th, 2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 51409)
well I can't add to the snow stories, but it is about 52 and I have to ride in a Christmas Parade as grand marshal (They need a target)

Well, your light is green so they must have missed -LOL! We need pics.

I pulled a float in a parade a few months ago, maybe next year grand marshal!
Well I think not.

Still cold. Never got above zero here today.

DAC

Rockdriller December 8th, 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51405)
The blower motor and fan are from a 80's era burb. It moves a lot more air. So on high and defrost there is a lot of air moving through the ducts. Enough to really defrost these old cabs. However there is a lot of air noise through those small vents. Barry.

During the partial O-haul of 2011, while updating my heater....I installed a fan motor out of a '04 Suburban .....
That was sure the remedy.
I went from a warm breeze to a "part yer hair" gale. I hadn't used the high speed third position on my fan until now...
It sure moves the air around that ol' cab......and it sure is a good thing I installed an amp or I wouldn't be hearing anything but heater.

Do keep the fire burnin', you all.