6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GMC photos from history (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47474)

GMCDAC November 26th, 2013 01:07 AM

Re: GMC photos from history

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51231)
This old 1950 Jimmy hauled a lot of rock up in Sitka AK. in the early 70's. here is a before and after shot of my grandfather Gordon Berglunds operation.

Wow! great pic! I recognise a 1960 Ford station wagon in the before pic---I think. What a change!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51232)
What an improvement.
What kind of operation was it? I'm guessing a lumber mill of some kind, maybe?

The old Jimmy could probably tell some stories about the good drivers, as well as the bad ones, and some of the wild weather it busted thru.

It reminded me of the song by Red Simpson that tells the story from the truck's point of view. I think it's called "Hello, I'm a truck"

Thanks for posting, Barry

Found it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeae1KQSac

Yeah wouldn't it be wonderful if those trucks could tell you even a little bit about what they've been through---Like the Red Simpson song! That was a great trip back too! Thanks for reminding me about that tune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51233)
Started as a little saw mill. But Grandpa and my great aunt Dorothy Darrin built it into a barge terminal. Its still there. its just north of Sitka. The two of them also had a quarry and crusher near by. So when grandpa had some spare time he filled in the area where the dock is. That old jimmy started hauling logs up north of there in about 62. 10 foot bunks 40 long. He then put a box on it and some bigger rears. It hauled rock until about 95 0r so. When he retired and moved back to Abberdeen Wa. in the 80's he brought it back with him. Near Aberdeen he used it on 80 acres of industrial land that he raised up about 8 feet, hauling fill from some land of his across the road. When he died in 07 the old 500 cube gasser still ran but a life on the washington and alaska coast had ate up most of the truck. Barry

If it was still runnin' there's still hope to do something with it! Would love to see pics throughout it's lifespan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 51234)
I have some more old truck pics from my family history that i need to dig up Here is my great grandfather Jacks 1927 white truck pictured in 1940 . He bought a section of Idaho white pine land near Elk city Idaho, and hauled his whole mill up there and cut pine for Diamond match Co. My surviving grandfather hauled over 1 million board feet of lumber to a rail spur about 15 miles from camp in the summer of 40 with that truck. He did this when he was 14. We still have this truck and it runs well. Hand crank start on that old guy. I am getting ready to rebuild the cab... Some day... sorry its not a jimmy, but I think it's cool. Barry

No apology need for me, great truck and story. Would like to see more pics from this trucks history to now also!

DAC

Cayoterun November 26th, 2013 01:44 AM

I've enjoyed this thread from the beginning.
I think every one of us has an appreciation for Jimmie trucks, or old iron of about any kind from the youngest member to oldest. It's obvious the younger ones like them, too, or they wouldn't be building them. Like Pepsi, (we've met him and his apprentices), his kids, and yours will cherish the early memories of helping their dad on his "old" truck, riding around with the wind blowing in their faces, and telling their adventures for the rest of their lives.
It not only helps preserve the trucks history, but family time together, also.

Great site, and people. Thanks, Jolly, Jennie, for riding herd on us, and GMC63 for starting the thread.

BarryGMC November 26th, 2013 01:52 AM

There was lots of stuff from AK but a fire destroyed most of it. So very few pictures survived that. I thought long and hard about that old Jimmy. I am very sentimental and have a lot of things from my family history. But in the end the long years of salt exposure proved to be to much. I do have some pics of the construction of the docks I will get few up. There are some neat pieces of machinery in those shots. The White truck was left for dead in the early 70's at Jacks property. When he passed Grandpa saved it. I will get some current shots of it and see what else I can find. Barry

George Bongert November 28th, 2013 01:32 AM

Greetings fellow Club Members!

These are really interesting pictures of the history of GMC! As far as I am concerned, the "new" glorified pickup trucks on the road just don't appeal to me, and aren't built like the "workhorses" of years gone by. On another note, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Rockdriller November 28th, 2013 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote " I am getting ready to rebuild the cab... Some day... sorry its not a jimmy, but I think it's cool. Barry "

The cool thing about that, Barry, is that In '82... I drove a straight truck that was a White/GMC.....joint venture type thing.
It was super heavy duty, tandem drives with a Roadranger. It was about a '74 or so and originally was worn out as a garbage truck....was stripped and made a flat-bed. She was a rough ol' girl.....but she had a little GMC in her, kinda like this one.

GMCDAC November 28th, 2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 51250)
Greetings fellow Club Members!

These are really interesting pictures of the history of GMC! As far as I am concerned, the "new" glorified pickup trucks on the road just don't appeal to me, and aren't built like the "workhorses" of years gone by. On another note, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Yeah this is a great thread. The "new" trucks don't get me excited either. I enjoy driving them with the 4 speed non-power everything--including the steering and so does my wife! We enjoy the old ones that did have some of the convienences too but driving the ones that were primarily a workhorse is a gas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdriller (Post 51253)
Quote " I am getting ready to rebuild the cab... Some day... sorry its not a jimmy, but I think it's cool. Barry "

The cool thing about that, Barry, is that In '82... I drove a straight truck that was a White/GMC.....joint venture type thing.
It was super heavy duty, tandem drives with a Roadranger. It was about a '74 or so and originally was worn out as a garbage truck....was stripped and made a flat-bed. She was a rough ol' girl.....but she had a little GMC in her, kinda like this one.

There you go Barry, Rockdriller found the connection to post away on the White! I painted White/GMC signs for a heavy truck dealership I did work for back in the 80's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51254)
Happy thanksgiving to all from our house!!!

Same to you and yours and everyone else on the forum, Cayoterun!

Happy Thanksgiving---DAC

GMCDAC December 8th, 2013 01:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
This may be getting too far from the subject but here are some pics of the GM Futureliners. There weren't many built starting in 1939 until around 1953. They were without a doubt a GMC! Designed for GM promotion, these trucks never had any other function. At one time a restored one of these held the Barrett-Jackson highest priced sale at over 4 million, once again don't remember for sure. I think an original AC Cobra beat it in the last couple years?

The first pic is the dash of an unrestored one, GMC logo is obvious.

DAC

Cayoterun December 8th, 2013 01:29 AM

I'd like to see one up close, sometime. Thanks for posting.

GMCDAC December 11th, 2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51422)
I'd like to see one up close, sometime. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome, Cayoterun. I noticed there are '55s in that last picture so they were in use at least up until then.

DAC

GMCDAC August 26th, 2014 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's beautiful '66 I saw on Facebook tonight.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi October 11th, 2014 12:37 AM

Nice Red, Dac!

Tonight the Powder Puff and The Boy were watching old Batman reruns and guess what Mr Freeze is driving in Season 1, Episode 7?

Yep!

http://windypix.com/?dm=WXUL.jpg

http://windypix.com/?dm=O0E9.jpg

http://windypix.com/?dm=O9QX.jpg

http://windypix.com/?dm=692J.jpg

Andice March 24th, 2015 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
aaa

Andice March 24th, 2015 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
bbb

Andice March 24th, 2015 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ccc

BillT May 16th, 2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 54424)
Here's beautiful '66 I saw on Facebook tonight.

DAC

Beautiful example of a fine '66 4 X 4.

That sure would look real nice in my driveway, lol.

GMCDAC June 5th, 2015 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillT (Post 57958)
Beautiful example of a fine '66 4 X 4.

That sure would look real nice in my driveway, lol.

Thanks Bill, I would be proud to have that GMC in the family too. Sorry I missed your reply until now.

Here is one that I felt would be good on this forum that I got from Facebook just tonight.

What does it take to haul Fords? A GMC of course!

DAC

GMCDAC December 9th, 2015 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I quit doing these due to lack of interest but I love this pic from facebook tonight!

DAC

Clarke December 9th, 2015 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 60101)
I quit doing these due to lack of interest but I love this pic from facebook tonight!

DAC

OMG!!! Are those old timers actually smiling in that photo?!? Maybe that photo was taken post-Good-Ole-Days. ;)

Ed Snyder December 9th, 2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

DAC

Looks like the back of the cab was cut out of that truck.

Clyde December 9th, 2015 01:53 PM

In 1964 I had a GMC 3/4T with an 8' camper and we took the back window out and could go back and forth while driving down the highway.

GMCNUT December 10th, 2015 12:47 AM

Quote:

DAC

Super love this picture. Wish I had that truck today. I am usually not a fan of the plain colors like solid White or this Tan color, but man that truck really makes that color look good to me....interesting

6066gmcguy December 10th, 2015 01:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
"due to lack of interest" this thread only has 7885 views, next highest in this section is 1600 views, looks like "lack of interest" to me.

Here are My historical photos of my old 1962 "Uber Rare" Suburban.

GMCDAC December 10th, 2015 03:43 AM

The last post before yesterday was June 15th. That and many posts before that have little or no commentary. Sorry but number of views doesn't mean much to me.

Very cool '62 you had, some day I'm gonna have one in the family again, don't care if it's uber rare of common as heck!

DAC

GMCDAC February 3rd, 2016 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic from back in the day, looks like it has the "Custom" trim. Ran across it on facebook tonight.

DAC

Clarke February 3rd, 2016 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 60682)
Here's another pic from back in the day, looks like it has the "Custom" trim. Ran across it on facebook tonight.

DAC

Wow, what a clean one! Back in the day when you could leave the key in the ignition, radio on, doors open; without a dang dinger going off. :)

I see he has a piece of wood on the boat for mounting a motor. He must of hauled the motor inside the truck.

David R Leifheit February 3rd, 2016 07:25 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I don't have any photos "from the day" in my collection, but I can share photos of what used to be my fleet.

David R Leifheit February 3rd, 2016 07:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Part two:
these are "historic" for me since a little over half are gone now.
No picture of the '65 I had though. At one time, 1960-1966,1968,1969. Tried to collect a whole set.

Ed Snyder February 3rd, 2016 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 60682)

DAC

Doug --

That photo of the guy camping reminded me of an old photo, probably taken back in the 1980s, of my Dad's one ton Suburban at his cabin on Beaver Lake, NW Arkansas. This is one of my favorite photos.

GMCDAC February 4th, 2016 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 60683)
Wow, what a clean one! Back in the day when you could leave the key in the ignition, radio on, doors open; without a dang dinger going off. :)

I see he has a piece of wood on the boat for mounting a motor. He must of hauled the motor inside the truck.

The only vehicle we have that dinger problem with is the wife's! Mine are too old--LOL! That's a pretty hi-res pic for facebook and I studied it enlarged but can't identify a motor but the gas can says there must be one in the truck.

Incidentally we still use one of those wide-visor Coleman lanterns just like that one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 60687)
I don't have any photos "from the day" in my collection, but I can share photos of what used to be my fleet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 60688)
Part two:
these are "historic" for me since a little over half are gone now.
No picture of the '65 I had though. At one time, 1960-1966,1968,1969. Tried to collect a whole set.

Thanks for those great pics of your GMC history David! I hope ones that leave your fleet are being brought back to life again. The '66 with the topper really grabbed my eye. I would like to have one from every era but that's pretty unrealistic! I need to fill the 60-66 void some day, to have 3 consecutive eras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 60689)
Doug --

That photo of the guy camping reminded me of an old photo, probably taken back in the 1980s, of my Dad's one ton Suburban at his cabin on Beaver Lake, NW Arkansas. This is one of my favorite photos.

Great place, great truck, Ed! I think I said before that the story that goes with your Dad's one ton combined with it being in the family still makes it about the best GMC time capsule ever in my book! Amazing truck!

Here's one from my past that recently surfaced from one of my sisters. This '60 in the background is responsible for my Mom's then my GMC addiction.
My Grandparents and I'm the kid behind Grandma. Probably taken 1960 or '61.

DAC

Ed Snyder February 4th, 2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 60697)

Great place, great truck, Ed! I think I said before that the story that goes with your Dad's one ton combined with it being in the family still makes it about the best GMC time capsule ever in my book! Amazing truck!

Here's one from my past that recently surfaced from one of my sisters. This '60 in the background is responsible for my Mom's then my GMC addiction.
My Grandparents and I'm the kid behind Grandma. Probably taken 1960 or '61.

DAC

Doug -- I suspect Dad took that photo the day he and my Mom moved into their new cabin. They hauled furnishings there from Wichita in the cargo trailer he was towing. They sold the cabin a few years ago. At ages 88 and 91 they don't travel much any more. I can't even get them to come out here to see our new house and garage.

That's a great photo of your grandparents with the '60 Suburban! Photos like that are priceless.

GMCDAC February 5th, 2016 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 60698)
Doug -- I suspect Dad took that photo the day he and my Mom moved into their new cabin. They hauled furnishings there from Wichita in the cargo trailer he was towing. They sold the cabin a few years ago. At ages 88 and 91 they don't travel much any more. I can't even get them to come out here to see our new house and garage.

That's a great photo of your grandparents with the '60 Suburban! Photos like that are priceless.

Thanks Ed, I'm very thankful my sister found that pic last year. We have no pics of just the truck, the 3 that turned up showing the whole truck have grandparents or Mom in them(avatar) and that one was damaged in a flood.
We had just driven from western South Dakota to north central Georgia in it in that pic with the grandparents.

That cabin looked like a wonderful getaway place! Maybe if you went and got them they would be ready to come out to your new place? If I remember right they recently had birthdays, your Mom on or around New Years Day? As always I wish them well!

DAC

Ed Snyder February 5th, 2016 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 60721)
That cabin looked like a wonderful getaway place! Maybe if you went and got them they would be ready to come out to your new place? If I remember right they recently had birthdays, your Mom on or around New Years Day? As always I wish them well!

DAC

Wow -- good memory, Doug! Yeah, Mom turned 88 on New Years Day and Dad turned 91 on Pearl Harbor Day.

I have thought about a long road trip with them, but haven't talked to them about it yet. They really like their own beds, having lived in the same house since 1960.

GMCDAC February 13th, 2016 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 60722)
Wow -- good memory, Doug! Yeah, Mom turned 88 on New Years Day and Dad turned 91 on Pearl Harbor Day.

I have thought about a long road trip with them, but haven't talked to them about it yet. They really like their own beds, having lived in the same house since 1960.

I'm glad to know they are getting along well Ed! I should have replied sooner but missed this post. I really can't blame them for wanting to stay home, but maybe sometime they would be up to a trip.

Here's another great GMC pic I ran across on Facebook tonight.

DAC

GMCDAC March 7th, 2016 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another from Facebook this afternoon.

DAC

GMCDAC March 19th, 2016 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here's another one from Facebook tonight.

DAC

Quigley March 31st, 2016 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Instructions that came with new Bat-O-Meter. $24.00 of Real money!

GMCNUT March 31st, 2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 61024)
Another from Facebook this afternoon.

DAC

WHOA - just noticed this postcard image of a Palomino Tan 62-63 Suburban has a 58-61 GMC hood jet on it!

GMCDAC April 17th, 2016 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another from Facebook today.

DAC

WDShaffer May 11th, 2016 02:49 AM

Great read. Thanks guys. Do any of you know if design studio ideas were ever leaked to the public...that would be a neat compliment to this thread.

GMCDAC November 22nd, 2016 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Facebook tonight. No info about the picture.

DAC