6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Other Rides and Projects (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Future build Wooden hearse w/ V-12 Planning NOW (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49243)

atomman February 18th, 2016 11:40 PM

Future build Wooden hearse w/ V-12 Planning NOW

1 Attachment(s)
OK, as I've gotten older, the more different I need to be. So, I am a good cabinet maker/wood worker and thinking of building a wooden hearse. Yep, you heard it from the old man, a wooden hearse. I will be making the frame from thick wall 2 x4 steel. No problem there. What front end would you put under this? Not looking for an after market, looking at the junk yard. Want it to set low, with power steering. Probably a C cab with the V-12. Heck, gotta do something with those new engines. So, I am open to all suggestions for this wild crazy a--s idea. Will use a 31 spline ford rear end. I think.
:lolsmack2:

The ride will be different, the fancy scroll work will be CNC.

Jeannie February 19th, 2016 12:48 AM

Re: Future build Wooden hearse w/ V-12 Planning NOW

What a beautiful project idea, atomman.

Spiritcars.com has several similar models for ideas. A 1929 model A with drop spindles appears to be a popular starting point.

Best of luck!

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

abus319 February 19th, 2016 12:46 PM

Now thats thinking outside the box! I like it!!

Cayoterun February 19th, 2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomman (Post 60844)
OK, as I've gotten older, the more different I need to be. So, I am a good cabinet maker/wood worker and thinking of building a wooden hearse. Yep, you heard it from the old man, a wooden hearse. I will be making the frame from thick wall 2 x4 steel. No problem there. What front end would you put under this? Not looking for an after market, looking at the junk yard. Want it to set low, with power steering. Probably a C cab with the V-12. Heck, gotta do something with those new engines. So, I am open to all suggestions for this wild crazy a--s idea. Will use a 31 spline ford rear end. I think.
:lolsmack2:

The ride will be different, the fancy scroll work will be CNC.

Go for it!!! Tom:
Your first sentence grabbed my attention. I think we're running on the same frequency.

I've been tinkering for about 60yrs. Teens years, crude jalopies, 20s, military, driving road trucks, seeing over the mountains doing the stupid stuff, 30s, married, settled down to wife, family, home, tinkering. 40s, making a living, and restoring the convertables for/w all four kids. They still have them. 3-4 for myself. 70s. Traveling with the bride of 50yrs, and enjoying this site watching all you people having fun.

I've been fortunate to have restored several 50s-60s convertables, and 1 hardtop. Like you, I wanted something "off the wall, but interesting".

Back to the hearse:
Using the V12, First, we have their 2,000# weight to deal with.
Second: Length:
As you can see on my build threads, I used a '72 Ford lwb 1ton frame and running gear, under the '62 GMC 1-ton now on display at the CHM museum in Boise City, Okla.

On the '46 Chev. pu, I used a '84 GMC heavy duty 3/4 ton frame and running gear. If I ever started another I wouldn't use anything smaller.
It was also easy to convert the ps-pb stuff over on the different cabs.
By staying with all the same frame, and suspension, It makes getting replacement parts alot easier, too.

If I ever built another, I would use the highest tranny, rear-end ratios i could find to compensate for the recommended 2,100rpm max engine speed.

I wish we lived closer together. Maybe you would let me help on the motor, drive-line and frame while you built your new "creation"
At the same time, you could lead me thru my "Ugly Bus" motorhome rebuild.
Maybe we could drag ol' Abus319 in to help us, and us ol' coots could make "a heck of a mess".

I can see our V6/12 rebuilds dying out too fast, due to the lack of parts of any kind. I hate to see the tough old reliable workhorses fade away.

Best of Luck,
Cayoterun

atomman February 4th, 2017 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, I have started an album for this build. Attached are a couple of pix. I am keeping the straight axle and increasing the leaf spring tension. The engine has an allison transmission.
Atomman

bobdylan February 6th, 2017 03:30 PM

Awesome build.

paultravisholland November 2nd, 2018 04:21 PM

I would love so much to fabricate a nice set of handmade black chrome headers worthy of that beast, but subtlety blended with the theme of the build.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk