6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calling All Two-Tones (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48812)

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:49 AM

Re: Calling All Two-Tones

3 Attachment(s)
Some screen shots of the 1960 GMC TV commercial video. And a shot of a 1960 2500. I would like to find one of these. GM

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First picture...something wrong with that truck. Last picture...The cure for the broken tail bone. Eat your heart out Subaru Brat, haha.

bigblockv6 June 6th, 2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58147)
Hey Ed, So help me, I took these pictures of this GMC in South Carolina. Could this be your old truck? GM

If you scroll up to where Ed showed the pictures of his 66 before it was converted to a short bed, you will see in the small caption in Ed's driveway a pic of his 62 K series Suburban and the 66 after it was transformed to a short bed 3/4 ton and no longer a two tone.:lolsmack2:

Ed Snyder June 7th, 2015 02:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58147)
Hey Ed, So help me, I took these pictures of this GMC in South Carolina. Could this be your old truck? GM

That's a nice looking truck in your photos, GM, but it's a half ton with big back window. Mine was a 3/4 ton with small back window.

Pete is correct -- the pickup in my driveway in my avatar is the same one after it was repainted a solid color which was a 1973 Cadillac color "Sage Metallic".

Clyde June 7th, 2015 12:37 PM

Ed: Nice looking 1966 GMC pickup.

1960HDGMC June 7th, 2015 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pictures Ed. Now I know of two fine looking GMC trucks still rolling through God's Country. I bet cutting the frame down and putting it back together was some undertaking. GM

Clyde June 7th, 2015 11:24 PM

Since June of 2009 Ed's old 1966 GMC pickup pictured above has resided in Abbeville,SC. I purchased it from a fellow in Duluth,MN, we flew up there and drove it back to SC with no problems. Since my ownership I have rewired the dash cluster, had the clock rebuilt. Installed a Holley 500, I made an adapter for the Holley and an HEI from a Buick V6 even fired engine. I also installed a Gear Vendor overdrive and made 2 degree shims for the rear axle to eliminate a slight vibration from the shortened driveshaft. We are a few miles shy of 75,000.

1960HDGMC June 8th, 2015 12:43 AM

Thanks for the update on the truck Clyde. I would like to see more GMC trucks in our general area. I see a lot more Chevy trucks from 6066 in my neck of the woods. I like 'em all, but the GMC with the V6 motors are fascinating to me. Although my trucks motor got yanked decades ago, I am really thinking about building one along the lines of your 351,to mate to my 700R-4. The V-6 blocks look to be massively overbuilt, and very stout. Do you have any data on the engine performance (HP/Torque)with the mods you have made? GM

Ed Snyder June 8th, 2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58164)
Thanks for the pictures Ed. Now I know of two fine looking GMC trucks still rolling through God's Country. I bet cutting the frame down and putting it back together was some undertaking. GM

Cutting the frame down was actually pretty straightforward. The first cut was straight down from the back of the cab. The second cut was 12" to the rear. The third cut was 8" from the tail end of the frame. The splice behind the cab was reinforced with fishplates. The hole in the crossmember that the driveshaft passes through had to be enlarged due to the steeper angle of the driveshaft. The short bed bolted right on with no mods.

GMCNUT June 8th, 2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58144)
Here is a brochure that features Two-Tone trucks. The picture is of what I believe to be Pre-Production trucks taken in early fall of 1959. Look at the inner bed paint. I believe this differs from standard paint regs. Any thoughts?,GM

The bed you see is a solid color trucks' bed so unlike the 1960 two-tone which would be white inside the bed, a solid color truck would have body colored interior bedsides. Wheeltubs were black on all GMC models along with the wood floor