6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calling All Two-Tones (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48812)

1960HDGMC June 3rd, 2015 08:11 PM

Calling All Two-Tones

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, Have a Two-Tone 1960-66 GMC, or just a picture of one? Please upload it here. Gotta love the Two-Tones. Post ads too, even pictures from service books, any depiction of 1960-66 GMC trucks wearing Two-Tone paint. Thanks,GM

1960HDGMC June 3rd, 2015 08:13 PM

Re: Calling All Two-Tones

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a two-tone twosome. GM

1960HDGMC June 3rd, 2015 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess where I found this two-tone GMC and win a prize.

1960HDGMC June 3rd, 2015 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even black and white pictures of two-tone trucks are welcomed.

Onuma June 5th, 2015 12:26 AM

Does this count as two-tone?

This is approximately what my truck would have looked like, originally, minus wheels & some details. Light blue w/ white accents.

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1965gmcpkup071810.jpg

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 01:30 AM

Kind of a minimalist approach to Two-Tone, I'll take it. Was this a factory Custom truck? US or Canada? I have seen some Two-Tone Canada GMC truck. They put the main body color up top and put the White from the body crease down. Bizzaro Land! GM

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 01:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
That is a nice looking truck, Onuma. Here are some more two-tone ads I have ran across.GM

Onuma June 5th, 2015 01:51 AM

I've heard that some trucks had the white on top from the factory (It's hard to find original photos of these trucks!) but perhaps not in that exact design.

This one looks more like a factory paint job & color, but I'm not certain.
http://6066gmcguy.com/gmc-id/Custom-1965-1.jpg

I don't know if I like it as much as the earlier, full-top 2-tone, but it does add a nice bit of contrast.

If I decide to repaint mine, I may go with a 2-tone all the way to the roof, starting around where that first image I posted has it. It's an idea I'm tossing around. Plenty of time to decide -- I still have about a thousand hours of body work to do before I'm ready to mask & paint! :ahhhh:

Onuma June 5th, 2015 02:03 AM

Here's another, very similar, light blue GMC. Though this particular pic has been edited poorly and looks blown out. And the steel wheels are painted the same color as the body. Original? Got me....but it looks sharp, minus the screwed up the color tone in the photo.

http://images.classiccars.com/classi...n%2BPickup.jpg

Just one more of the light blue two-tone. Don't want to overdo it in this thread :) If nothing else, these will give me a few ideas for when I paint mine...I'd like to go with something you just don't find these days. Hence the '66 GMC in the first place!

http://jimcartertruckparts.com/image...custom%209.jpg

GMCDAC June 5th, 2015 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one I got off the net somewhere, that I really like. A dangerous act that a lot of us somehow survived!

DAC

Onuma June 5th, 2015 02:09 AM

I've done that in the back of military trucks, many times. They put a heavy canvas/nylon strap across the back and call it "safe" ... hah!

GMCDAC June 5th, 2015 02:15 AM

I was born and raised riding in pickup boxes, still drive 2 GMC's with just lap belts and one GMC with no seat belts at all! I must have a death wish---LOL!

DAC

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 02:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey DAC, Welcome to the Two-Tone Pages. I love that rednwhite GMC picture. Dibs on the driver side wheel well,haha. Here are a few more two-tones I ran across. I have some Red n White 1960 GMC ad pictures,but I do not know if I should post them. I pulled them off the web,but I think GMC still sells copies of the two pictures. Any ideas? Thanks, GM

Ed Snyder June 5th, 2015 03:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the truck I bought 20 years ago from a neighbor for $1,000. It had about 38,000 miles on it, no rust, 351 V6, Turbo 400 trans, Powr-Lok rear end. I had it repainted, frame shortened, and put a short bed on it. Clyde in SC owns it now.

GMCDAC June 5th, 2015 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58129)
Hey DAC, Welcome to the Two-Tone Pages. I love that rednwhite GMC picture. Dibs on the driver side wheel well,haha. Here are a few more two-tones I ran across. I have some Red n White 1960 GMC ad pictures,but I do not know if I should post them. I pulled them off the web,but I think GMC still sells copies of the two pictures. Any ideas? Thanks, GM

Thanks Greg, you started a great thread here, I dig the pics and paperwork!
The '60 in the flood damaged black and white Polaroid pic in my avatar was a yellow and white two-tone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 58130)
This is the truck I bought 20 years ago from a neighbor for $1,000. It had about 38,000 miles on it, no rust, 351 V6, Turbo 400 trans, Powr-Lok rear end. I had it repainted, frame shortened, and put a short bed on it. Clyde in SC owns it now.

Great truck, Ed, Clyde is a lucky guy to get one of your GMC's! Hope all is well with you and yours..

DAC

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a two-Tone 1960 GMC on a pack of dealership matches. I bet there are others out there. GM

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 08:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are all the paint regulations that I have. They show the 1960,1962 and 1966 Two-Tone GMC paint schemes. If anyone has other years, or the second page for 1966,please post them here. Thanks, GM

1960HDGMC June 5th, 2015 09:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a brochure that features Two-Tone trucks. The picture is of what I believe to be Pre-Production trucks taken in early fall of 1959. Look at the inner bed paint. I believe this differs from standard paint regs. Any thoughts?,GM

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Don't Shoot, These are for reference purposes only. The 1960 Chevy shares the flip-flopped Two-Tone with the Canada GMC trucks. The others are Dodge Ford and International Harvester, all 1960 factory Two-Tone models. The Two-Tone blue and white was an industry wide phenomenon in the late 50's-early60's era. They all look cool to the touch. GM

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Ed, So help me, I took these pictures of this GMC in South Carolina. Could this be your old truck? GM

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some screen shots of the 1960 GMC TV commercial video. And a shot of a 1960 2500. I would like to find one of these. GM

1960HDGMC June 6th, 2015 02:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First picture...something wrong with that truck. Last picture...The cure for the broken tail bone. Eat your heart out Subaru Brat, haha.

bigblockv6 June 6th, 2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58147)
Hey Ed, So help me, I took these pictures of this GMC in South Carolina. Could this be your old truck? GM

If you scroll up to where Ed showed the pictures of his 66 before it was converted to a short bed, you will see in the small caption in Ed's driveway a pic of his 62 K series Suburban and the 66 after it was transformed to a short bed 3/4 ton and no longer a two tone.:lolsmack2:

Ed Snyder June 7th, 2015 02:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58147)

That's a nice looking truck in your photos, GM, but it's a half ton with big back window. Mine was a 3/4 ton with small back window.

Pete is correct -- the pickup in my driveway in my avatar is the same one after it was repainted a solid color which was a 1973 Cadillac color "Sage Metallic".

Clyde June 7th, 2015 12:37 PM

Ed: Nice looking 1966 GMC pickup.

1960HDGMC June 7th, 2015 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pictures Ed. Now I know of two fine looking GMC trucks still rolling through God's Country. I bet cutting the frame down and putting it back together was some undertaking. GM

Clyde June 7th, 2015 11:24 PM

Since June of 2009 Ed's old 1966 GMC pickup pictured above has resided in Abbeville,SC. I purchased it from a fellow in Duluth,MN, we flew up there and drove it back to SC with no problems. Since my ownership I have rewired the dash cluster, had the clock rebuilt. Installed a Holley 500, I made an adapter for the Holley and an HEI from a Buick V6 even fired engine. I also installed a Gear Vendor overdrive and made 2 degree shims for the rear axle to eliminate a slight vibration from the shortened driveshaft. We are a few miles shy of 75,000.

1960HDGMC June 8th, 2015 12:43 AM

Thanks for the update on the truck Clyde. I would like to see more GMC trucks in our general area. I see a lot more Chevy trucks from 6066 in my neck of the woods. I like 'em all, but the GMC with the V6 motors are fascinating to me. Although my trucks motor got yanked decades ago, I am really thinking about building one along the lines of your 351,to mate to my 700R-4. The V-6 blocks look to be massively overbuilt, and very stout. Do you have any data on the engine performance (HP/Torque)with the mods you have made? GM

Ed Snyder June 8th, 2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58164)
Thanks for the pictures Ed. Now I know of two fine looking GMC trucks still rolling through God's Country. I bet cutting the frame down and putting it back together was some undertaking. GM

Cutting the frame down was actually pretty straightforward. The first cut was straight down from the back of the cab. The second cut was 12" to the rear. The third cut was 8" from the tail end of the frame. The splice behind the cab was reinforced with fishplates. The hole in the crossmember that the driveshaft passes through had to be enlarged due to the steeper angle of the driveshaft. The short bed bolted right on with no mods.

GMCNUT June 8th, 2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58144)
Here is a brochure that features Two-Tone trucks. The picture is of what I believe to be Pre-Production trucks taken in early fall of 1959. Look at the inner bed paint. I believe this differs from standard paint regs. Any thoughts?,GM

The bed you see is a solid color trucks' bed so unlike the 1960 two-tone which would be white inside the bed, a solid color truck would have body colored interior bedsides. Wheeltubs were black on all GMC models along with the wood floor

1960HDGMC June 8th, 2015 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, cutting the frame rails in half. To me, that is really taking it to the next level. I have heard of people doing this, but never seen one. Thanks for explaining how it was done. Now here is a Two-Tone 1960 GMC that is in black and white. Question. After years of looking at these old pictures, and knowing the limited factory color choices for any given year, can anyone discern the true color of the trucks in the black and white pictures? With todays computers, it would be easy to add the color, if I knew which color to add. I have even thought of getting pictures of a truck in each color offered that year, and turning it black and white. Perhaps the colors have something to say, even in black and white pictures. Any ideas? GM

GMCNUT June 8th, 2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58172)
Wow, cutting the frame rails in half. To me, that is really taking it to the next level. I have heard of people doing this, but never seen one. Thanks for explaining how it was done. Now here is a Two-Tone 1960 GMC that is in black and white. Question. After years of looking at these old pictures, and knowing the limited factory color choices for any given year, can anyone discern the true color of the trucks in the black and white pictures? With todays computers, it would be easy to add the color, if I knew which color to add. I have even thought of getting pictures of a truck in each color offered that year, and turning it black and white. Perhaps the colors have something to say, even in black and white pictures. Any ideas? GM

Certain shades do show up differently in B/W but the quality of the picture has to be good to really tell between colors like yellow and orange. This truck appears to be the same as the Red and White one in the GM photostore

1960HDGMC June 8th, 2015 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wish I could get a clear view of the front tag on that factory picture. It looks like the old script "GMC" with some other text. I wonder if GMC would sell me a Tiff image of that picture. I have that picture, but I pulled it from a copy online. It is not clear enough. The black and white picture I posted is taken from the 1960 GMC Paint Regulations. It is hard to tell from the angle, but the black and white truck picture looks like a short bed to me. GM.

1960HDGMC June 14th, 2015 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jake Groby's project. Should be on the road in a few months. He went with Canyon Blue for the main body color. Gonna be another fine looking Two-Tone on the road real soon. GM

1960HDGMC June 17th, 2015 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You meet the nicest people riding in a 1960 GMC. These pictures are from a 1980's movie. There is a long list of GMC trucks in movies online. GM

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 01:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is your GMC...This is your GMC on LSD. Taken from a two page magazine ad from 1960.

jbgroby June 26th, 2015 02:40 PM

Hahahaahh

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 03:17 PM

Heres our 66 two tone.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...Picture188.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...Picture186.jpg

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 03:21 PM

one 60 and one 61 GMC original paint two tone trucks.

[http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...Picture014.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...Picture016.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/Pic12713.jpg

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 05:29 PM

SuWeet GMCCollector,
Love them Two-Tones. Did the Mesa Tan 1/2 ton truck get different spear up front right, or is the original just flattened out? Also, is the inside of the bed all White and are the fender wells also White, or Black? If you have one, please consider adding a shot of the bed floor area. I had to wing it on paint placement inside the bed, when I painted my truck. You have a nice pair of awesome looking GMC trucks. There cousins look nice too. I got a soft spot for the 60-61 GMC trucks. Thanks for posting them, GM