6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jake Groby UPDATED 1960 GMC build with Photos (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47604)

FetchMeAPepsi January 20th, 2015 11:38 PM

Re: Got the ground rigged for cluster

Yeah it does! That should last another 50 plus years if it's anywhere near as tight as it looks

:goodjob:

jbgroby March 18th, 2015 02:23 PM

Finally got the front and rear glass installed

2 Attachment(s)
Only took a year.

MrCos March 18th, 2015 04:06 PM

Re: Finally got the front and rear glass installed

lookin good!

jbgroby May 25th, 2015 03:40 AM

Got the steering wheel installed

1 Attachment(s)
I had to have a friend help me with the shaft as the threads were badly deformed. Once we cut the new threads, the wheel wend on easy. One more part finished.

Foley May 25th, 2015 04:52 AM

Re: Got the steering wheel installed

Excellent!! Sure looks good from here

jbgroby May 25th, 2015 07:42 AM

I'm up for an award, the longest rebuild in history

1960HDGMC May 29th, 2015 02:04 AM

Hey Jake, That sure looks good. I am in the middle of getting a column/steering wheel painted and installed. I know you are glad to have that on there. As for the longest rebuild, if you are past 8 years, your still in the running, haha.

WDShaffer May 29th, 2015 03:59 PM

The wheel looks super. 14 years and counting for me...now that the 'lil one is a teenager, I will have less face time and more truck time.

1960HDGMC May 29th, 2015 11:38 PM

The 3 years my truck was in little pieces were the longest years I ever saw. I can not believe I made it 3 years without a truck. Hopefully, never again. Hey Jake, are your colors 1960 GMC Varsity Blue and Olympic White? It really looks good whatever colors it is. Gotta love the two-tones. GM

jbgroby May 30th, 2015 04:24 AM

It is supposed to be Canyon Blue and Olympic White or as close as my eyes and computer can tell.

1960HDGMC May 30th, 2015 03:02 PM

Hey Jake, Is Canyon Blue a GMC color from another year? Wherever it is from, it sure pops against the Olympic White. Nice contrast. GM

jbgroby June 2nd, 2015 04:14 AM

Technically, it's a '61 shade of blue, it seemed to look better than the varsity

Vernski June 4th, 2015 06:52 PM

Hi Jake that wheel looks great with that beautiful dash and gauges you got a winner there. I spent 6 1/2 years on mine but there are always the little things
I would like to improve on some, so I guess you never get done. What's your latest cigar? enjoy one for me...Vernski:thumbsup:

jbgroby June 9th, 2015 04:43 AM

I grabbed a cigar.com special nothing to write home about.

jbgroby July 4th, 2015 04:08 PM

Working on the ground straps

1 Attachment(s)
Made up some ground straps over the past several days. Put some of them on the truck yesterday. I ordered the heavy duty ones from LMC and as II do not have the heavy duty crimper. I crimped, soldered, and used heat shrink on the smaller ones. I ordered a roll of the copper 10 gauge braided ground strap from NAPA. Connector are from HomeDepot and you get 15 to a pack for $2.99.

jbgroby July 4th, 2015 04:10 PM

Re: Working on the ground straps

1 Attachment(s)
Number 2

jbgroby July 4th, 2015 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Number 3

jbgroby July 4th, 2015 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Number 4

AZKen July 6th, 2015 07:50 PM

Another option.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

jbgroby July 9th, 2015 03:12 PM

LOVE in a Box

4 Attachment(s)
I call this post ‘Love in a Box’.

Got into the office this morning and found a lovely little oblong box just waiting for me to rip it apart – as I knew what pretty thing was inside longing for me to lovingly caress the long cool metal frame and gaze through the clear glass….. OK ENOUGH WITH THE BULLS**T……..

I bit the bullet earlier this month and decided to order the new aftermarket replacement vent window assemble. Try as I might I can’t quite get my rubber to sit right – and you KNOW how I am with the little details.

I’ve seen other posts over the past year or so waiting for some poor lonely trucker to take the plunge. SO I’m posting the pictures for your review of what I believe is a well-made and quality product. I have been wanting to do this for about a year now and after fighting to get my vents assembled - I gave up. (FYI I have a set of Vent windows as extras if anyone needs them)

I was crusin’ eBay last month and saw where the Truck and Car Shop listed the driver’s side vent assembly online for $210.00 + $27.00 shipping with Buy It Now. That was at least $60 cheaper than anywhere else I’ve found.

The vent assembly is shipped in its own box VERY well protected box. I’ve worked the vent handle and it is very well fitted (no wobble or looseness). The glass channel run comes with the felt already fitted and installed. The spring assembly is well built with the proper spacers/washers and pivots smoothly.

I’ll order another next month if I’m not sleeping on the couch this month with vent assembly for company, as my wife calls the truck “The Other Woman” .

jagarra July 9th, 2015 09:27 PM

Nice job on the straps. Did you just recently install an aluminum radiator. Seems the addition of ground straps is part of the installation process.

jbgroby July 11th, 2015 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I put in a new radiator but it not aluminum. I added the last two heavy duty straps from the block to the body this morning. I must be getting better as I only busted one finger getting everything in place.

jbgroby September 11th, 2015 05:03 AM

Got the sides marks for the step inserts

1 Attachment(s)
The painter is ready to do his thing but wanted to mark the correct location for the 2 wide side step incerts. We had the factory assessory guide templet, so it was just a matter to transferring the marks to the bed so they could be cut out.

jbgroby September 12th, 2015 02:23 AM

Got the lights finished

1 Attachment(s)
About time. I had to remove the halogen upgrade kit as we could not get the highbeams to work correctly no matter what we did or checked. Went back with OEM harness.

jbgroby September 12th, 2015 02:25 AM

Re: Got the lights finished

Highbeam s work too;)

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2015 02:27 AM

You should have a build thread going for all your pics!

jbgroby September 12th, 2015 03:09 PM

I WILL update the one I have, I just jammed up with 2 jobs. My full time one and the Council one. I just qualified for re-election and this may be the last weekend I get to do anything on the truck for the next 2 months. ;)

BTW does anyone want a NEVER used Halogen upgrade wiring kit 1/2 off $25.00 with free shipping?

jbgroby September 12th, 2015 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Highbeams working

jbgroby September 12th, 2015 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrong picture

jbgroby September 13th, 2015 07:31 PM

Bed is finally home

1 Attachment(s)
We finally brought the bed home this morning.

ilvracn September 14th, 2015 03:32 PM

Re: Bed is finally home

Looks great, are the step pockets factory? My truck has them as well

pasadenajim September 14th, 2015 04:01 PM

JB, if you will advise on the part numbers for the Halogen Lights, I will take you up on the $25 for the harness.

jbgroby September 14th, 2015 05:30 PM

ok, text me at 985-503-0017 so I can send back a picture. and part number

jbgroby September 14th, 2015 05:34 PM

There were a dealer or aftermarket add on.

ilvracn September 14th, 2015 05:45 PM

i thought so, mine say gm on them so i bet they were a dealer installed item

jbgroby September 14th, 2015 11:36 PM

They sure are cool huh?

1960HDGMC September 15th, 2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 59151)
About time. I had to remove the halogen upgrade kit as we could not get the highbeams to work correctly no matter what we did or checked. Went back with OEM harness.

Hey Jake, I had the same thing happen when I made the switch to Halogen bulbs. Turns out there are at least two companies making these kits. I had them send me another one, and it works fine. The offshore model is made by folks that may or may not know what solder is and what wire color means. They use cheap relays too. Mine had a wire crossed FROM THE FACTORY. You really need to get a kit in there to get the juice off your switch. It really is an important safety feature. The kit really is just a pair of relays that do the function of getting the juice off of your switch. Your halogens will shine much brighter, and your switch will last forever, ( and it will keep your new truck from burning up, always a plus)once you get a kit or just hardwire in a relay set. Please consider doing this, Greg

ilvracn September 15th, 2015 03:27 PM

yea i love em get lots of complements

jbgroby December 15th, 2015 10:12 PM

wheel tubs and strips

2 Attachment(s)
Got the last parts from the painter. Will lay out the bed assemble in January

rusty66 December 15th, 2015 10:51 PM

Re: wheel tubs and strips

Looks great. Good luck![emoji41]

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk