6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi July 18th, 2014 10:48 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 54129)
Didn't realize you were prototyping something...now you got me all curious!! :yourock:

Hope you get back into action quickly...dang doctors. :poke:

Well don't get too excited because I dont want to disappoint, but it's coming along. The hardest part is DONE AND WORKING today. :bananadance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54136)

Thank you Fetch. I'm pretty jazzed by the useability of that bigol machine. But I'm even more curious bout how do you move it along thru your back yard? Those little wheels on Ol' Max aren't zactly grass friendly.

No they arent! :lolsmack2: I folded it up and pulled it toward me so the legs would fall to the back (with a CLANG) then I spun around and let it lean against my back while I hot-footed it across the yard banging and bouncing like a cat with a can on his tail. It was pretty funny according to the peanut gallery that was watching.

Aphaynes I sent you a PM for Rusty :puterpunch:

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2014 04:24 AM

<whispers> Pssst! Hey!

You guys wanna work on a "junky ol' truck"?

:iagree:

Yeah, me too :woohoowave:

Follow me! (sneaks off into the garage) :dogrun:

This is how I've felt almost all summer while I did honeydos:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

This is how I feel when I get to work on Cecilia

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

See? His face is about to explode from happiness! Or constipation. The look is interchangeable. :lolsmack2:

Today me and the Powder Puff took a break from fence building to blow off some steam. We popped on the compressor, pulled out the old sand blaster again and grabbed a bag of Black Beauty blaster media. I bought it before I knew what I was doing. It was $40.00 for every 10 lb. bag and that's too dang expensive for something that can just blow away in the wind.

The sand blaster

The blasting dust, which I just found on Ebay for $1.00 a pound. Another lesson learned :bigyikes:

Then we pulled out one of Cecilia's old steel rims. I know, I know. She needs me to peek at her engine and a bunch of other stuff, but we needed something we could handle quickly that wouldn't break the bank.

We started with an orangey rusty somebody-done-tried-to-paint-it mess with deep paint runs in places and a lot of puddling in the corners. I had a pic of that but I lose'ded it.

I blasted the wheel - whoosh! And it all went in my eyes and nose. We boogied over and put some eye protection on and tried again. Much better.
I had the Powder Puff stand out in the yard and blasted while I held my breath, then stopped to breathe, lather, rinse, repeat.

Here's most of the wheel done. The orange looking bits are the original rust and yuck.

Then we got the blower out and blew the dust and crap off of it.

A spare board under it to protect the concrete...

Then we taped all around the edges - on this old tire it really doesn't matter. I need new ones anyway. This one got cut up so I could put feet on my compressor to protect it from vibration on the concrete floor :signthankspin:

We taped up the valve stem too so it didn't turn out some oddball color and refuse to take air :lolsmack:

Then ya gotta hit it with Ospho rust converter for all those little spots you missed.

24 hours later, get some paint on her. I chose Valspar Outdoor for metals in white. After a few months it should calm down to a less stark color and look close to original if my patio furniture ages the same way.

Here's a shot of the first coat. We'll give her four coats total.

And that was it for today. Tomorrow we'll do the same thing on the back of this wheel and maybe get another one done. Then we'll carry them around to tire shops looking for tall skinny tires to put on them, and a spare wheel to add to the collection. Cecilia came with no spare, but four of the bullet hole wheels you see her wearing all the time. Not good enough for my girl!

OH! And one more VERY IMPORTANT thing. I was taking the kids around the block in Cecilia the other day and like some of you guys know I've been having trouble getting her from 1st to 2nd and 3rd gears. I read a writeup that sounded so smart and made sense that said the fork wears down and you need to take the whole steering column apart, weld more metal into the shifting link...fork? Shuttle? The little thing that flops on the steering column between R/1st and 2nd/3rd linkages. Anyway, take that off, weld it more, then put it back together. I thought for sure that was in my future.

For now I've just been getting out of the truck, rocking it a little, and pulling it by hand into first gear when it gets stuck.

DUMB. :banghead:

Back to my story, I was taking The Boy and the Powder Puff for a spin around the neighborhood, just touchin' on Cecilia so I keep my interest high, and she locked up again. So I hopped out, grabbed the linkage for 1st gear, and started the delicate dance of moving it back to first without pinching my fingers.

As I look back up to get in the truck, an old bearded guy that looks like a skinny version of Godwin from Duck Dynasty hollered from his house about 40 feet away - "Hey, is that one of them ol' GMCs with that Big Block V6 in it?"

I said with a huge grin, "You bet! The original 305!" He ambled over and took a look and spun a yarn about how he didn't see much of these anymore and they sure could pull. We talked a bit, which it to say he talked because I REALLY stink at social stuff (never know what to say) and he eventually asked me what stopped me there. I told him and pointed out my fork/shuttle thing needing welding. He said, "That don't need weldin, that's yer NEUTRAL ADJUSTMENT. You jes' loosen 'er up and move this like this, and...go give that a try." I did and it was perfect!

Turns out the guy had a shop that worked on old trucks and cars from back in the 50s and 60s and he saw this kinda thing all the time. Now I'm gonna pass that info on to you guys :thumbsup:

Here's the spot under the hood on the steering column that gets caught between gears. You can yank and snatch on the shifter all you want, you ain't gonna get it back in place.

Now run inside and shift it into neutral. Set the brake unless you've got fast legs, you'll be chasing your truck in a minute!

Run back outside and look at how the R/1st and 2nd/3rd linkages are lined up. If they aren't lined up so you can flick that little shuttle/fork thing back and forth really easily, you need to loosen the nut on the shaft that is lowest (because of gravity, is why) and move it upward. On mine it was this one.

Move it up and tighten the nut back down. Then check it again. If it moves freely then you're all set! I haven't had a problem since and I didn't even have to drag the welder out! :yourock:

One more thing, I haven't been online in about a month or more so all you guys with PMs to me gimme a couple of days to catch up. I always answer every PM. If I don't , I'm dead! :ahhhh:

BarryGMC September 7th, 2014 05:26 AM

I had a bit of a vacation. But I have missed the FMP. Hope you are well. Get after it. Barry

BarryGMC September 7th, 2014 05:32 AM

I am a bit melancholy tonight. Been listening to bob wills . Edie cochrain and the stones . Plus a beastie boy song or two. Working on a old school truck. Glad your back. I said that already. But you are my favorite poster. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54554)
I am a bit melancholy tonight. Been listening to bob wills . Edie cochrain and the stones . Plus a beastie boy song or two. Working on a old school truck. Glad your back. I said that already. But you are my favorite poster. Barry.

Thanks Barry. You know I couldn't have gotten this far without your help.
The Powder Puff and I cranked up the 50's songs yesterday during work time. She's still asleep today haha.

A little of our playlist:

Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny
Put your head on my shoulder - Paul Anka
Charlie Brown - The Coasters
(Why must I be a) Teenager in love - Dion and the Belmonts
Along came Jones - The Coasters (Powder Puff loves this one)
At the Hop - Danny and the Juniors

When I work outside I often listen to a CCR pandora station that has a bunch of 70's stuff but when we get on Cecilia we like to pretend it's 1962 and she's brand new but mistreated so we have to fix her back up. :thumbsup:

What are you workin on?

Andice September 7th, 2014 04:52 PM

Fetch: My Henry J had the same issues with shift linkage getting jammed (always in heavy traffic it seemed!) so I feel your pain. There was a metal pry-off cap on top of the shifter box that you could jam full of grease. When the small cap was off you could see where the two shifter arms needed to be lined up so the part that engaged each arm would have a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd gears - if these were not lined up then you would have problems. Kaiser Frazer even made a special tool (Miller Tool Company made it actually)that you could jam into the space between the two arms so they would line up perfectly. First you would have to loosen the nuts on both shift linkages then tighten them up when they were aligned. Forever I thought my problem was worn grommets on the linkage. In the end it was an alignment issue. I am sorry that just found out about your issue. Perhaps I could have shortened your suffering.

Andice September 7th, 2014 05:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is similar to what I am talking about. The area where this guy has done some welding (1st image) is where the two arms need to be aligned. This is different on our trucks but the principle is the same.

GMCDAC September 7th, 2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 54555)
Thanks Barry. You know I couldn't have gotten this far without your help.
The Powder Puff and I cranked up the 50's songs yesterday during work time. She's still asleep today haha.

A little of our playlist:

Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny
Put your head on my shoulder - Paul Anka
Charlie Brown - The Coasters
(Why must I be a) Teenager in love - Dion and the Belmonts
Along came Jones - The Coasters (Powder Puff loves this one)
At the Hop - Danny and the Juniors

When I work outside I often listen to a CCR pandora station that has a bunch of 70's stuff but when we get on Cecilia we like to pretend it's 1962 and she's brand new but mistreated so we have to fix her back up. :thumbsup:

What are you workin on?

You folks listen to some great tunes! Good info here, and the knowledge those old timer mechanics have is priceless!

I had something with a 3 on the tree (had many) that you would do what you are saying but there were holes in the arms and when a 1/4" (I think) drill bit would slide through the holes you would tighten them up. Can't remember what it was though.

Glad to see an update!

DAC

Jeannie September 9th, 2014 02:35 PM

Pepsi,

This message arrived from Coyoterun via email:

Quote:

Goodness, You "kids" like the same music that was going strong when I was in hi-school, graduated Gentry, Ark, 1958, then on to a hitch driving trucks "over the road", In '62, when Cecilia was born, Uncle Sam pointed his finger at me, so then on to Army, a year in the Korean DMZ, missed "Nam", but always liked the song about the '66 Corvette that came out later. I still have to listen to it now and then.
I used to listen to the same songs when I was working on restoring a '58 Chev. Impala back in the mid-90s. Took it back to our 40th class reunion in '98. Cops closed off main-street one night so us ol' timers could squeal the tires and drag main for a couple of hours. Awwh- great memories from simpler times, from 50+ yrs ago, and your teaching Powder Puff Cec's history thru the old music. but Nuff for now.

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Hantke September 11th, 2014 09:02 PM

so are you gonna paint cecilia? or keep her rusty? she could come out nice 'n shiny one of these days!

BarryGMC September 12th, 2014 04:20 AM

Hey coyote. I grew up with all that music. But it was my dad that played it. He was just a couple of years younger than you. He has been gone a long time. Do you still the 58 impala ? For nostalgia I will post some pics of my 58. Its a holy crap car. 44.000 miles . 348 250 horse. Turbo glide. Posi. Pb. PS. Turquoise and white. Tri color interior. radio delete. I cant even take it out without being molested. Survivor. But tires and exhaust. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 54562)
Fetch: My Henry J had the same issues with shift linkage getting jammed (always in heavy traffic it seemed!) so I feel your pain. There was a metal pry-off cap on top of the shifter box that you could jam full of grease. When the small cap was off you could see where the two shifter arms needed to be lined up so the part that engaged each arm would have a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd gears - if these were not lined up then you would have problems. Kaiser Frazer even made a special tool (Miller Tool Company made it actually)that you could jam into the space between the two arms so they would line up perfectly. First you would have to loosen the nuts on both shift linkages then tighten them up when they were aligned. Forever I thought my problem was worn grommets on the linkage. In the end it was an alignment issue. I am sorry that just found out about your issue. Perhaps I could have shortened your suffering.

That's OK! I'm just glad it's fixed. I should have brought it up but I made that big assumption that I knew what was wrong because of the all the internet searchin I did pointed to welding. You know they can't put things on the internet that aren't true, right? :lol: next time I'm speaking up first! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 54568)
You folks listen to some great tunes! Good info here, and the knowledge those old timer mechanics have is priceless!

I had something with a 3 on the tree (had many) that you would do what you are saying but there were holes in the arms and when a 1/4" (I think) drill bit would slide through the holes you would tighten them up. Can't remember what it was though.

Glad to see an update!

DAC

That sounds like a great fix! You know some old guy was fiddling with it one day and thought, Hmm, I wonder... (grabs a drill bit).....SCHLOOP! Yep, it slides through. New rule of thumb!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeannie (Post 54599)
Pepsi,

This message arrived from Coyoterun via email:

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Thanks Coyote and Jeannie! Coyote that sounds like a fun night. And the cops probably didn't think twice about it. "Youwanna squeal 'em? Lemme get my cones out and you have at it!"

:yourock:

Tell the wife and daughter me and the Powder Puff say "Hi"!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 54637)
so are you gonna paint cecilia? or keep her rusty? she could come out nice 'n shiny one of these days!

Hantke thats the million dollar question. I have a strict set budget of $4800.00 to spend on her and then that's all she wrote. I love her to death but I won't go sinking money into her that I won't feel good about. I figure if I get in a real bad way I can always sell her for around that and not be out an arm and a leg. We'll have to see how it goes when I get into engine fixins. If I have enough money for paint I just might shoot a couple of coats on her.

Original color, of course!

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:31 PM

The next day we did one more for fun. Here's what they looked like originally

Powder puff taped it up before we blasted it this time. I ended up blasting all the tape off and I knew it would happen, but she was having fun and I have a bunch of masking tape from all the painting The Blonde does. I'll just borrow another roll :teehee:

The tires that are on it now are Snow Kings that have this mark on them

Not very telling. I threw one in the back of the family car to carry to a bunch of mexicans that do tire stuff.

Then we grabbed a new, more classic shift boot that we got from classicparts.com, part number 40-641.

Packaging:

The only problem? It didn't come with a ring to go over the boot nor any screws. So we just put it on as it is until I can get those things.

PP unscrews the handle

PP putting the boot on. Last year she wouldn't have had the strength to do this. She's gettin' old so fast :noway:

And installed! Kinda.

That was it for the day.

The music for today was
Dion and the Belmonts - Runaround Sue
The Jersey Boys Soundtrack - Big Girls Don't Cry
Chuck Berry - No Particular Place to go
Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea
The Isley Brothers - Shout (you know you make me wanna)
Chubby Checker - The Twist
Dion - I wonder why
The Crests - Earth Angel (Also from Back To The Future movie!)
Elvis - Hound Dog
The Regents - Barbara Ann (Bar-bar-bar, bar-bar-Ba'anne!)
Jersey Boys Soundtrack - Walk Like A Man (These remakes aren't too bad)
Frankie Valli - Can't take my eyes off you
The Crew Cuts - Sh-Boom (From the Disney Cars movie)
Elvis Presley - Burnin' Love

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:47 PM

It was cold - and I mean like 60 degrees out today. You guys know me, my blood turns to molasses and I get hibernating when it gets about there. But I had some free time so I drove the family car (The Marshmallow) to see the Mexicans (prounounced "Mes'kinz") about the rim and tires I need.

As always they're freaking ON IT when you pull up to the shop. Running out and handling business. "Yes, sir!" they say.

"Can you guys find a rim and set of tires for me?", I asked.

"Yes sir! We got all kindsa rims. Whatcha got?"

I open the tailhatch and show them Cecilia's old, rusty glass slipper. He frowns and I know that to me it looks like this:

But to him it looks like this (needle in a haystack):

"Uhhhh......I dunno about that one. Where did you find it, a Ferd?"

I say, "Bite your tongue. That's a GMC wheel there!" We laughed and he told me to come back in a couple of hours.

Tick tock, tick tock....I get back at 1pm and the fella runs out the most beautiful old wheel I've ever seen next to the four I already got.

And the kicker is this - I say Great, how much? And you know what he told me? "$40 bucks".

Sweetest deal I've made in a while. I figured it'd be at least a hundred bucks. When I asked him about the tires he said, "Noooooo, cain't find 'em....But for $80.00 you can get some new."

:bigyikes:

I'll run back in a few days and see about that deal on 5 new tires (one spare). If it's decent tires with the good chunky outside he might have saved me a fortune. I'm a happy camper right now. :crazyyippee:

Foley September 12th, 2014 09:27 PM

Forty bucks? hundred bucks? In the ol' country lad, (Scutlund) she woulda been twenty five and not a bit more.

Hantke September 12th, 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54673)
Forty bucks? hundred bucks? In the ol' country lad, (Scutlund) she woulda been twenty five and not a bit more.

when my only remaining GM wheel blew out and i swapped a spare and got to the tire shop, he traded me two new matching front wheels + 2 new tires for . Imy 1 "vintage"(1996 LOL) GM wheel! it was off a 1996 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (my first car). he was thrilled, and my new front tires were 2-3" taller than my rear tires, so the front felt like it was jacked up like the mafia guys on the TV! best deal ever! (for a broke 17 year old who had to get to work) I went and got a pinstripe hat so that I could drive and bob my head to the music as i drove through the country haha I miss that old car, except when it rained it would fill with water from a hole hidden behind the dash board.

my ADD is showing again.

so how are you liking your media blaster?

FetchMeAPepsi September 13th, 2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54673)

REALLY? Dang it! Every time I see them on Ebay they're $150.00 plus $80.00 shipping. I thought I had it made. Oh well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 54676)
when my only remaining GM wheel blew out and i swapped a spare and got to the tire shop, he traded me two new matching front wheels + 2 new tires for . Imy 1 "vintage"(1996 LOL) GM wheel! it was off a 1996 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (my first car). he was thrilled, and my new front tires were 2-3" taller than my rear tires, so the front felt like it was jacked up like the mafia guys on the TV! best deal ever! (for a broke 17 year old who had to get to work) I went and got a pinstripe hat so that I could drive and bob my head to the music as i drove through the country haha I miss that old car, except when it rained it would fill with water from a hole hidden behind the dash board.

my ADD is showing again.

so how are you liking your media blaster?

I'm lovin it. It needs refilling about as often as I need a break to shake off the rocks and breathe anyway and it will plumb tear off some rust, let me tell ya! Only thing, it'll beat the top layer of skin off your arms if you arent aiming the right direction.

Oh, and my bed wood got delivered. Quarter sawn white oak :)

BarryGMC September 13th, 2014 02:37 AM

You crack me up pep.

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2014 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54679)
You crack me up pep.

:giggity:

I was looking at why my old tires have H78-15 on them because that's not a size I recognized like 255/70/R15 or something similar. Then I found this chart that tells me that those tires are Bias Ply tires from the olden days. And it translates to 235/70/R15's which are plentiful. :bananadance:

Click for bigger, like all the others :)

BarryGMC September 17th, 2014 03:53 AM

OK. Pep. Since you have the hard to find parts for power steering let's talk about the easy part. You really only need a few things. Most obvious is a Saginaw 4x4 steering box from a 68-91 4x4 straight axle truck . Second you need the arm. Most of the time its still on the box. Third you need the drag link. Fourth you need the section of steering shaft that goes from the column to the box. Next you need 4 spacers 3/4 inch thick. Or An adapter from captain Fab. Finally you need to make a pressure hose made up depending on what pump and year box you have. The hardest part is the axle arm mod. But a later model international arm only needs a bit of reamer work. Imo this is the best thing you can do to your rig. I will get some pics for you of the bits. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 17th, 2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54749)
OK. Pep. Since you have the hard to find parts for power steering let's talk about the easy part. You really only need a few things. Most obvious is a Saginaw 4x4 steering box from a 68-91 4x4 straight axle truck . Second you need the arm. Most of the time its still on the box. Third you need the drag link. Fourth you need the section of steering shaft that goes from the column to the box. Next you need 4 spacers 3/4 inch thick. Or An adapter from captain Fab. Finally you need to make a pressure hose made up depending on what pump and year box you have. The hardest part is the axle arm mod. But a later model international arm only needs a bit of reamer work. Imo this is the best thing you can do to your rig. I will get some pics for you of the bits. Barry

Thanks GMC advisor Barry! I dunno if I'm ready for it yet. I still have the motor problem to fix, remember? I think I'm going to have to just suck it up and get some "get me by" tires because Cecilia's quarter sized hole gave up today and popped on me. She's a lame duck now and I can't stand it. I'll post pics in a few. Please do post those pics of the parts and we'll take a run at it after the motor problem is fixed.

Funny story, now when I talk about your advise to The Blonde I say, "My GMC advisor said..." :lolsmack:

FetchMeAPepsi September 25th, 2014 01:50 PM

Pulled the trigger on get-me-by tires. Like I mentioned I came out the other day to this

She's flat as a flitter, but the pic doesn't really show the bend well. Anyway, I replaced the tires with these $80.00 tires.

They're Hankook Optimo H724 All-Season Tires - 225/75R15 102S. They have a mild piecrust on the edge, but nothing I'm terribly pleased with. I'll have to find some 16 inch wheels to open up my world to better possibilities. Guess I'll add that to the shopping list as I go forward.

To get the wheels ready I needed to pull off the old bias ply tires. The local shop wants $10 each to remove the tire so I think marijuana must have been legalized here and I just didn't know it. They're obviously high.

Youtube says I can pop the bead by running over them with a car but that failed miserably. They just smooshed down then popped back up. Never busted the bead.

Next I'll try putting a jack on them and putting them under Cecilia. I'll let ya know how that goes...

GMCNUT September 25th, 2014 02:31 PM

just bought a full set of 235 70 R15 white walls (correct for these 60's trucks) mounted and balanced w/ tax and out the door for $376.50 - will post a pic later. Couldn't believe the price - they are an off-brand of course, but they are a new tire being made from an old original mold some company bought that was used back in the 60's to cast these tires originally....can send anybody the name etc to see if you can get these where you live too

FetchMeAPepsi September 26th, 2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 54837)
just bought a full set of 235 70 R15 white walls (correct for these 60's trucks) mounted and balanced w/ tax and out the door for $376.50 - will post a pic later. Couldn't believe the price - they are an off-brand of course, but they are a new tire being made from an old original mold some company bought that was used back in the 60's to cast these tires originally....can send anybody the name etc to see if you can get these where you live too

That would be great! Please post some pics too.

I had some luck with the drive over method today. I thought I'd give it one more shot driving closer to the rim, as close as I dared (actually scuffed up one rim on the driving car, :pullinghairout:) and it worked!

The tools:
One vehicle that runs and drives
One sledge hammer, 3 lb or so.
One crowbar
One big ol' flathead screwdriver. Or something really tough to pry with.

First drive over the tire like this and PARK THERE. Don't move around, just park.

Then get out and put the crowbar on the tire where the bead locks in.

Hammer the crowbar down with the hammer. If you're lucky, break the bead. (See side two below). If it breaks the bead the tire will be easy to push down from the rim on the side you're working on when you step on it. Just step on it all the way around and it'll peel off like an orange peel.

Then back off of it again and flip the wheel over. Repeat.

This one wasn't so lucky. If you drive on it and hammer the crap out of it and it isn't letting go, back off of it again and flip the tire around 180 degrees and drive back on the other side. That worked every time for me. If it doesn't work for you turn the tire by 1/4ths (12 oclock, 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock) until it does break free.

Finally work your crowbar back in under the lip and pry the crap out of it till it pops up and over. You might need to adjust the other side of the tire, that you're not prying on, to get more slack on the side you are prying on.

Once it's pried up work your screwdriver around. I only had to do about 3 pries with the screwdriver on this side before I could peel the tire off by hand, and I'm a weenie armed pecker necked guy.

It took 30 minutes for the first one, 15 for the second, and 20 for the last two. I'd book 2 hours to be safe before trying this at home. :)

UP next, more sandblasting and mounting my own tires! Learning is awesome, isn't it?

BarryGMC September 26th, 2014 02:03 AM

OK pep. You are killing me. I have a tire machine an old coats 10-10
And a bubble balancer. I still pay the 40 to mount and balance 4 tires. I will give you a thumbs for tenacity.

GMCDAC September 27th, 2014 01:53 AM

Yeah, I used to do racecar tires like this a lot when I was a much younger, and even now on my own trucks I do my tire work on an old Coats we have at work. Gotta save money somewhere so my stuff gets cheaped out on. Part of the reason why I drive old GMC's too is they are cheaper than a car or truck payment so the wife can drive something fairly new. Since my trucks are beaters, I gotta try to keep a couple running all the time in case one breaks down----LOL!

I too give you a thumbs up as the "More time than money" thing is known to happen. Just a good thing you are a lot younger, for this job, weenie arms and all!

Oh yeah, around here the tire mounting price is 10 to 15 bucks each PLUS another 60 bucks to balance all 4. Mounting is free if you bought tires but they still stick it to you for the balance. $2.50 each for valve stems too. And another thought, they charge $2.50 each to dispose of the dismounted tires which is much cheaper than if you were to take them to the dump yourself. The dump charges 6 to 10 bucks each to throw away tires, depending on size and that is just car and light truck tires. Higher yet for bigger tires!

Sorry about the rant about how darn much this stuff costs!

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54842)
OK pep. You are killing me. I have a tire machine an old coats 10-10
And a bubble balancer. I still pay the 40 to mount and balance 4 tires. I will give you a thumbs for tenacity.

Heh! I probably shoulda paid, but I got more time than sense :lolsmack2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 54851)
Yeah, I used to do racecar tires like this a lot when I was a much younger, and even now on my own trucks I do my tire work on an old Coats we have at work. Gotta save money somewhere so my stuff gets cheaped out on. Part of the reason why I drive old GMC's too is they are cheaper than a car or truck payment so the wife can drive something fairly new. Since my trucks are beaters, I gotta try to keep a couple running all the time in case one breaks down----LOL!

I too give you a thumbs up as the "More time than money" thing is known to happen. Just a good thing you are a lot younger, for this job, weenie arms and all!

Oh yeah, around here the tire mounting price is 10 to 15 bucks each PLUS another 60 bucks to balance all 4. Mounting is free if you bought tires but they still stick it to you for the balance. $2.50 each for valve stems too. And another thought, they charge $2.50 each to dispose of the dismounted tires which is much cheaper than if you were to take them to the dump yourself. The dump charges 6 to 10 bucks each to throw away tires, depending on size and that is just car and light truck tires. Higher yet for bigger tires!

Sorry about the rant about how darn much this stuff costs!

DAC

That's oK! Im glad I can do it at home or it wouldn't get done for a long time. I gotta schedule every outing since we have all the kids and loading up 5 tires in the kid-mobile requires babysitters and several blankets. :bigyikes:

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2014 08:17 PM

I decided to build a tent this time so I could save some of my blast media.

Remember this from the "hey, can you kill yourself removing a truck bed?" post earlier?

I dragged it over where I could reach it with the air compressor and had The Boy hold it up for me. Powder Puff was doing something else, chasing a butterfly I think. I grabbed an old rotten deck plank and tied it to the top with my newfound JERK (grk) screws. I should be getting some kinda kickback from them for this lol.

About that time Powder Puff ambled over to see what we were making so I let her hold the next one for the other leg of our 3 walled frame.

When it was done it looked like this:

I found these tarps on sale at Academy Sports about two weeks ago. PUttin em to use now.

I put one under my contraption to act as a floor and catch all my media

Threw one over the top

And one crossways over the sides. That made one full wall on one side and one half wall on the other, and one side had no wall at all to easily get my fat butt in and out with the hose and the wheels.

When it was done I turned around for I KID YOU NOT two seconds and it was infested with children. I need to spray.

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2014 08:33 PM

The materials I needed:

I picked up the hood from Ebay. It fogs up if it gets too hot but it does keep the dirt out of my lungs. Black Beauty is supposed to be safe for minor dust to breathe but I still get nervous about it.

Oh :threadjacked: heres a side by side of the old and new tires. Old tires are wider ones on the top and right. The new ones are quite a bit thinner. Maybe I can turn Cecilia in a parking lot now.

The infestation is rampant.

This is my go-to primer. It's pretty cheap for a six pack on amazon. About 25.00.

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2014 09:04 PM

I got to blasting then and dust went everywhere.

I blasted the entire outsides. I didn't think I should do the inside but I did a little semi blasting there to get the bigger, deeper scale off anyway. I hope it still holds air OK. It just has surface rust now.

When I finished blasting I pulled the tarps back. I did blow a hole through the floor in two places and sent who knows how much media through them before I noticed. I also blew a lot out of a hole on the side where I didn't have them overlapped right.

Some of those piles were 5 inches thick. Mission accomplished.

Now to prime them and paint them, then get the tires back on so I can go get more fence boards before ..... :winter:

FetchMeAPepsi October 9th, 2014 12:55 AM

I'm going to stop right here and say this

This is a failure move, spraypainting your wheels. Dont do it unless you have NO other option. They chip, they peel, they don't stay painted. Bugs land on them while they're wet. If I had to do it over again I'd pay the money and get them powder coated like I should have done to begin with. I will probably do that when it's time for REAL tires with the piecrust edges at some point in the future.

On the upside I now feel comfy pulling the tires off and putting them on. It's hard work pulling them off on old wheels but if the tire is newer and pliable it's pretty easy. Either case it's well worth saving the $20 bucks if you have time and can handle the work.

(Jafar from Aladdin)

Back to work I laid out my wheels on my old fence/stand/tarp holder boards in a sort of rotation for painting. By the time I finished the row it had been about 15-20 minutes, time to paint another coat on the first one.

Some of you that read my stuff might remember the painting stump.

I sprayed them all with three coats of white.

Oooo, pretty!

Then two coats of clear for protection. It didn't make a difference in the end.

FetchMeAPepsi October 9th, 2014 01:12 AM

Now it was time to put the new tires on. It's much easier to put them on than it is to take them off. Start by pushing the edge of the wheel into the new tire, wheel face first.

If you're a fat man you can just walk around it now and it'll push the wheel into the tire. I found I could push most of it in by hand, then use my super sized screwdriver to pry the rest of the way around.

Once the face is in just flip it over and do the same with the other side. It's pretty easy at this point.

Poke a new valve in it. I got mine in a four pack off Amazon with a valve stem core remover.

At this point I tried lots of ways to get the tire to seal so it would hold air. It never did until I came up with this. I put a towel over the painting stump.

Now I laid the tire on the tree stump and HUFF! picked up on it fast to kind of raise the upper part of the tire onto the bead area of the wheel so it would halfway seal. Ok, not seal, but at least very lightly hold the rim without falling back down. Then I'd slowly lower my hands so it didn't fall back down. Finally I had to pinch the side that was over the valve stem area so it would lip over the stem and form a very crappy seal. This let air flow into the stem, into the tire (and out of the tire too, just not as fast as it went in), and finally that pushed the tire into place as I got up to the recommended 44 psi.

WARNING: Dont touch the tire while you fill it with air! It will POP into the bead and break your neck!

Mine had this pencil thin whitewall, so I turned that part facing the inside so it wouldn't show.

FetchMeAPepsi October 9th, 2014 01:23 AM

Fill with air from the bottom because well thats where the valve stem is!

And that's about it! If you did it right you now have five new rolling tires. One of my valve stems was cracked so I'm going to have to replace it, but I have four good tires now.

Now to put them on. Oh, for paint I used about 3 1/2 cans of each primer and paint, and 2 cans of clear for the entire shebang. Around $40.00 worth of investment.

The Boy was pretty involved with this project off and on. He took a break from bike riding to help me carry supplies over to Cecilia. Check out Cecilia's new fence in the background. Woot woot!

All geared up, I slipped the jack under my baby. She was getting a new pair of slippers and I kinda wanted to drive her around the block for fun.

Then the unthinkable happened. My hydraulic jack busted! Here's me pointing to the clip that holds the little plunger. It broke clean in half!

So now I'm waiting on this to show up from from the brown truck :ups:. I thought I'd go old school with a bumper jack that doubles as a come-along/winch.

Instead of going for a ride we had some snacks and put the tires side by side to compare. The new ones are about three inches'ish taller. I'll take that.

Foley October 9th, 2014 03:33 AM

So Fetch....good job on your new tire project and the progress your making. Anything in the "Gonna Have New Tires" Master Plan about taking them to a tire shop to get them balanced?

Foley,
Greenwood, CA

FetchMeAPepsi October 10th, 2014 03:18 PM

I thought about it, but decided to give them a try first. Cecilia's top speed is about 50 mph the ways and places I drive her so balancing may never be noticed. Our average speed is 35 - 40 mph around town. Laaaayyyydddd baackkkk :thumbsup:

GMCDAC October 11th, 2014 01:07 AM

Hi Foley and Fetch, showing how cheap (or broke) I am too, when I bought the "Primewell" tires for my '55 GMC I decided to risk not balancing because it's just under 70 bucks for 4 around here. I was pleasantly suprised that at 65 mph it drives very straight and smooth, no shake or vibration at all! Actually got it to 70 for awhile still great but I stay 65 or below as the r's were getting a little high.

I would remove the old weights though Fetch, see one in a pic you posted.

DAC

Phat 66 October 19th, 2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 47534)
More pix -

Dual original visors :)

And the damaged pass side. I'm going to bang around on it some, but am not entirely against buying a replacement.

Now That's a aback Bumper

Vernski October 21st, 2014 03:33 AM

How are you and your little helpers doing Fetch? My comment on the bumper is if some one rears ya it will only scratch it a little but they are not going to be driving away from it...Vernski:tank:

FetchMeAPepsi October 23rd, 2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 54971)
Hi Foley and Fetch, showing how cheap (or broke) I am too, when I bought the "Primewell" tires for my '55 GMC I decided to risk not balancing because it's just under 70 bucks for 4 around here. I was pleasantly suprised that at 65 mph it drives very straight and smooth, no shake or vibration at all! Actually got it to 70 for awhile still great but I stay 65 or below as the r's were getting a little high.

I would remove the old weights though Fetch, see one in a pic you posted.

DAC

I didn't see the weight thing until just now DAC, but I can report that the wheels are turnin just purrrrrfect as they are now. I guess the weight was for the wheel being off somehow and it's still doing something to keep it good? Anyway, she's turnin and burnin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat 66 (Post 55028)
Now That's a aback Bumper

Thanks! It brings all the diesels to the yard :lolsmack2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 55033)
How are you and your little helpers doing Fetch? My comment on the bumper is if some one rears ya it will only scratch it a little but they are not going to be driving away from it...Vernski:tank:

We're all doing great! The Little Blonde jumped off her bed (monkeys?) and cracked herself dead center on a nightstand corner that was pretty bad. It looked like someone had hit her with a hatchet right in the forehead. We had to watch her pretty close for three days but she healed right up and is now just as crazy as before. Probably have to watch that one. :ahhhh:

Powder Puff and The Boy are doing great. The Boy just joined Cub Scouts so we've been busy with a bunch of that stuff. Went to the local historical museum and the danged "tour guide" didn't even know what anything was that wasn't written on the plaque. We kinda did our own tour afterward so he could learn what I knew about some of the old stuff. Disappointing for me, but he loved every minute of it. Funny how that kinda stuff works out.

The Redhead is in her senior year and heading off to college soon. Scary stuff. I told her I'd let her handle her grades and watching her time management this year till she messed up. She had a little stumble this week due to a friend's b-day party but she's cleaned it up. I worry she'll lose her mind when she goes to a dorm and never make it to med school. No scholarships or anything fancy either plus we don't do debt so no loans either. It's going to be a tough one, but if she sticks with it she'll do fine. She's got the brain, it's just that her clutch slips every couple of months or so.

Well that got more detailed that I planned. Back on trucks,

I bought a Hi Lift jack like I said:

I got the Extreme version this time. the first time I ordered the 48 inch regular version and UPS lost it. So I ordered the Extreme version in 60 inch the next time and it works great for pulling fence posts along with having more lift room. You'd think 60 inches is way too long to be wieldy but it's just a normal sized farm jack at that height. Not weird at all.
the 48 would have probably been too little I think.

So I jacked up Cecilia with it and used the HiLift brand offroad base too for stability. It's crap piece of plastic with a very shallow hole to put the jack in.
Big mistake.

I got her in the air and BAM! The whole thing fell down. Could have busted my leg had I been in the way. I returned the base and ordered one of these bases from Bogart Group

Much more stable. They have videos of an older guy just pushing and pulling all over that jack and it doesn't fall. Good stuff.

Anyway, my new wheels and tires are on. Tire size is about the same, but they look a whole lot better.

Pics coming. I think my little hatchet head deleted them from my phone. She's not here right now so she's getting blamed :)

aphaynes October 23rd, 2014 05:47 PM

I had a similar style bumper jack on my 78 Buick Regal when I was 17. Does this jack also lift via the bumper or do you place it elsewhere?