6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   '60 deluxe heater control levers (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50489)

jbgroby November 24th, 2018 03:34 PM

'60 deluxe heater control levers

The other day while cycling from defrost to floor heat, the tip of the defrost lever broke off. The part was an OEM and I suppose age and use finally got it. I can order a new set for $44.00 but I'm unsure if they are steel or pot metal? Does anyone know?

Also if anyone has a spare lever, I'm game to buy it. Just pm me.

Thanks
Jake

Ed Snyder November 24th, 2018 04:39 PM

Re: '60 deluxe heater control levers

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 70189)
The other day while cycling from defrost to floor heat, the tip of the defrost lever broke off. The part was an OEM and I suppose age and use finally got it. I can order a new set for $44.00 but I'm unsure if they are steel or pot metal? Does anyone know?

Also if anyone has a spare lever, I'm game to buy it. Just pm me.

Thanks
Jake

That's a really common problem, Jake. I had to replace one of mine recently. You can buy the individual levers from LMC. They're pretty cheap. They look like pot metal to me. At least they're pretty easy to replace.

Jim A November 25th, 2018 05:02 PM

Too late now, but lubricating all parts of the lever systems (including cables) will postpone the day of the "snap".

jbgroby November 25th, 2018 06:42 PM

What do you suggest as lube for the cables? Is grafite ok?

Quigley November 25th, 2018 06:58 PM

Jake, I don't know how long it will last, but on my 62 the controls were very stiff. I used a product called TriFlow and I thought I broke something they worked so easy. Ace hardware carries Tri Flow. Dave Oh and if you do use it shake the heck out of it,it has a ball in it just like spray paint.

snazzypig November 27th, 2018 04:27 AM

Yes, Triflow is a great lubricant and especially good for locks.

Jake, keep in mind that the repop levers have a little twist at the end, and your original gray GMC knobs have a clip insert designed for the original levers with flat ends.
I used some repop levers once, but had to hammer the ends flat and do some grinding to get my original knobs to slide on, and they still didn't fit real well. Once in awhile a new old stock lever shows up on Ebay, or maybe you could find a good used one. Just wanted to share my experience. No one reproduces the early gray knobs as far as I know.

jbgroby November 27th, 2018 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While this is NOT a true RANT, its’ at least a ‘what the heck’ moment. While doing my research into replacing the defrost lever that broke, I wanted to find steel levers vs. pot metal. A lot of the truck catalogs carry pot metal and while I certainly won’t use the heater much in the south, I did not want to have to repair this again EVER.

I was able to locate levers on eBay listed by Old Factory Air, they are made of steel part number 50-6325, it’s a complete kit with the 3 levers, spacers, knob letters and the lock washer, they call their parts "Never Pop Lever Kit". The ‘what the heck’ moment isn’t the price of $44.00 is was the call of FREE SHIPING. I went to Old Factory Air’s website to read the tech specs and confirmed they are made of steel, they list the parts for $38.00. I called and inquired about the eBay price of the $44 with free shipping and was told, “everyone does that”…….

I still bought them because they are made of steel, but that’s a **** of a way to do business.

Mojo December 21st, 2018 04:33 PM

Just a suggestion but when replacing it might be a good idea to polish the parts where they move. Not taking any metal off but just check for burrs and knock them off. Eventually I need to replace mine. I think I had one break off a long time ago

jbgroby December 22nd, 2018 01:31 PM

Good idea, thanks

jbgroby December 23rd, 2018 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got them installed and lubed the cable sleeves. They slide easier now.