6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Started build on a 66’ (Photo Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50184)

bigboar November 1st, 2017 02:34 PM

Started build on a 66’ (Photo Heavy)

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have started a build on a 66 3/4 ton which belonged to a friends dad. We worked out a deal on it and its going to be for my son who is 14. The truck has 41k miles on it with a 3 on the tree and the 305 big block v6 long bed.
The plan for the truck is to bag it, add power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, do a custom interior and leave the outside old. I have had the truck a few months now and made some progress.
We started with a 1985 donor which i did the crossmember swap and used the rear end out of. I bought an adjustable trailing arm crossmember and got a set of the nascar arms for pretty cheap. I then built a panhard bar and did a rear the rear disc conversion using eldorado calipers so he would still have an e-brake.
The next step was installing the bag kit. It uses a bluetooth module and i used an iphone 5 i had lying around which is what will be controlling it.
I then moved on to the power steering situation. Not fun, couldnt find any pulleys or brackets so I ended up modifyi g the stock pulleys along with using the crank pulley and pump from the 85 donor. I had alot of help from the previous owner who happens to own a machine shop. We split the crank pulley and he machined and welded them to my existing crank and water pump pulley. He then helped me make the pump bracket. I then welded in one of the steering box brackets and shortened the stock steering shaft and used the box from the 85 which looked like it had recently been replaced and is the 3.5 ratio. It is all in and works perfect, it is nice to have power steering! The brakes were simple as i bought the kit with master, booster, and disc proportioning valve and ran new lines using the copper nickel line. That stuff is great to work with!
The interior is where i am at now and it is a work in progress. It is going to be pearl white. I bought one of those intellitronix digital dash kits for a c-10 and went to work on that. I like how it turned out. I just completed the console build. Ended up with over 50 hours in it. I even went through the trouble of making ductwork run through it so the heat will blow on the driver side😂.
I could go on and on but this post would take forever so here are some pics of it so far.

bigboar November 1st, 2017 02:38 PM

Re: Started build on a 66’

5 Attachment(s)
More photos...

bigboar November 1st, 2017 02:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And more..

bigboar November 1st, 2017 02:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And more...