6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New 305v6 fan in TN (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50299)

OdieTN February 18th, 2018 02:14 PM

New 305v6 fan in TN

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a brand new owner of a 1964 GMC (305E, powerglide). I was actually looking for a chevy with I6 when a buddy turned me on to this GMC. I didn't know much about the difference in Chevy and GMC or these big block V6's. But after some quick research I was hooked! I've already learned so much from all you guys and I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and experience. I hope to start a build thread soon.
As you can see the truck has no tailgate, but it came with a spare bed that I picked up yesterday. Guess what...The tailgate says CHEVROLET on it! Nothing I can't work around but we got a laugh out of that.

TJ's GMC February 21st, 2018 04:30 AM

Re: New 305v6 fan in TN

Welcome aboard! Glad you like the v6! They are a great engine that will last forever(darn close) if taken care of. Lot's of grunt to. :thumbsup:

Ed Snyder February 21st, 2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68793)
Hi Everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a brand new owner of a 1964 GMC (305E, powerglide).

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky to have that rare big back window too.

jbgroby February 22nd, 2018 01:48 PM

Welcome to the best GMC group going. Your big back window is rare and desirable, except on HOT summer days;). We LOVE photos! There is a website for our trucks with every sort of information you can think of.

www.6066gmcguy.com

You will spend a great many hours on the page learning ALL there is to know. Everything from keeping her dead stock original to performance up grades (such as they are), plus links to other pages and PHOTOS galore.

Enjoy and welcome to the PASSION!

OdieTN February 22nd, 2018 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks you guys for the warm welcome! Here are a couple more pics of the day we got it home and with it squeezed into my garage. My wife is thrilled with this! The XTerra is my daughter's, so 2 cars in the garage and neither one is momma's!

The cleaning out the garage was step 1. That was an entire weekend project! I've put a Spectre Performance air cleaner adapter on it - it came with a filter less, naked Stromberg. She runs "OK" but smells awful and crackles and pops a bit. Carb kit next. I'm keeping the Stromberg for now. When I'm able to make some decent progress I'll move to a build thread.

Thanks guys I'll be in touch!
Matt

1965GMCK1502 February 22nd, 2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68804)
Thanks you guys for the warm welcome! Here are a couple more pics of the day we got it home and with it squeezed into my garage. My wife is thrilled with this! The XTerra is my daughter's, so 2 cars in the garage and neither one is momma's!

The cleaning out the garage was step 1. That was an entire weekend project! I've put a Spectre Performance air cleaner adapter on it - it came with a filter less, naked Stromberg. She runs "OK" but smells awful and crackles and pops a bit. Carb kit next. I'm keeping the Stromberg for now. When I'm able to make some decent progress I'll move to a build thread.

Thanks guys I'll be in touch!
Matt

Great stuff, Matt. Enjoy the ride!

LEWISMATKIN February 23rd, 2018 06:59 AM

I too welcome you to this group. If you need any assistance, this is the group to be in. While I am not near as active as in years past, I offer any assistance that I can.

Cordially,
Lewis Ellis Matkin, Jr.
Ridge Manor, Florida
1965 1002 305E-V6:thumbsup:

OdieTN February 25th, 2018 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Lewis!
A note on manuals: I tried this disk by Faxon. I got it off eBay for about $33. It's 3 separate pdf files - 1 for the 62 manual, 1 for 63 supplement, 1 for 64 supplement. In case anyone wants to add/update their library.

PS I obviously knew what manuals to order because of this site! I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

OdieTN March 4th, 2018 09:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick question on carb rebuild: my carb has a block under it. There were 3 metal gaskets on each side of this block. I had to kinda dig to find them and pry them off. Do I need the metal gasket at the base of the block to intake? Or is a regular gasket Ok? My kit did not come with one so I was going to cut my own. Thanks!

FetchMeAPepsi March 4th, 2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68867)
Quick question on carb rebuild: my carb has a block under it. There were 3 metal gaskets on each side of this block. I had to kinda dig to find them and pry them off. Do I need the metal gasket at the base of the block to intake? Or is a regular gasket Ok? My kit did not come with one so I was going to cut my own. Thanks!

Mine had one of those ultra-cheap cardboard ones there. You know, cereal box thickness and half worn through? :teehee: I'm sure you could cut your own and be better off than what was there before.