6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48239)

Crosshairs6 June 13th, 2014 03:29 AM

Re: 1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair

I pulled off the gasoline fuel lines starting from the tank behind the seat to the carburetor. The steel fuel lines I have cleaned and look pretty good. The rubber fuel line with 3/8" fittings that runs over the frame rail under the cab has to be replaced. I ordered that section of the fuel line from NAPA and will pick it up tomorrow with the fuel tank from the radiator shop. I will also pickup the grommet that wraps around the fuel tank fill spout that comes out next to the drivers side door. That had to be delivered from the east coast according to parts GURU'S at NAPA. She is coming together with parts so hopefully I will get the chance to start her this weekend.

After I get her running, then stripping all the wood off the bed then working on the brakes. Stripping the wood will make it easier if I have to change out the brake lines. Speaking of brakes, has anyone upgraded a truck like this to all around disk brakes? If so, where do you buy the kit to do that? As much as I want her to run, I want this huge girl to STOP! I will post more pictures tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments. I have received some good information since I started this project.

Cayoterun June 13th, 2014 04:22 AM

Don't overlook the obvious when you reinstall the gas carb. Eliminate the off/on gas line solenoid. Without hot wire activated, it stays in the off position. Back to gas all the time, it no longer serves any purpose.

Cayoterun

Crosshairs6 June 14th, 2014 09:37 PM

Went to pickup the gas tank that had been soaking in a chemical bath since Monday. The only thing keeping that tank from leaking was the sludge in the tank. After the bath, the tank had about 15 holes in it.

Obviously there will be no starting of the truck this weekend.

So I got online and found a brand new replacement tank with a sending unit and should have them here by Thursday of next week. The tank is also lined so I should not have any problems. I will shoot pictures when the new tank is delivered new week.

Crosshairs6 June 21st, 2014 03:38 AM

New tank arrived with sending unit and stainless steel screws. I checked over the tank for any issues and it all looked good. Packaging was really good. The sending unit with screws came in a separate box.

Here is a picture of the tank. Do not forget to place the gasket first before installing the sending unit. Install the float first when installing the sending unit. I laid the tank down on a piece of the notched packing cardboard to hold the tank steady and let the sending unit hang freely in the tank while I tightened the screws on the sending unit.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Crosshairs6 June 21st, 2014 03:44 AM

Next I cut some cardboard strip from the fuel tank packing to run under the straps that hold the fuel tank in place. It all went together pretty easy. Remember that the fuel tank neck extension that comes out next to the drivers side door has to be installed.
I strapped the tank down the same as it was removed. Tank fit perfectly. I connected the power wire to the connection by the drivers side door and the ground wire to the cab over the tank.

Crosshairs6 June 21st, 2014 03:51 AM

Tomorrow I will install the steel fuel lines with new fuel filter. I have the fuel filter canister soaking in diesel. All will be cleaned up good and I will finish the fuel system overhaul. I have new plug wires and a new coil as well. With any luck, I will have the old girl running tomorrow.

Many thanks to Cayoterun for locating me a breather (air cleaner) for the truck. I received a message this evening that he shipped the breathers (2 air cleaners) out to me today. One is and oil bath type and the other is a filter type. When I removed the propane system from the truck, the air cleaner was part of the propane assembly.

FetchMeAPepsi June 21st, 2014 05:58 AM

Those oil bath cleaners are awesome. I have a paper and an oil, and the paper sits in the cabinet collecting dust while the oil...oh wait. I guess they both collect dust :D
Anyway, the fact that I never have to spend another $15.00 on a piece of paper really makes me happy.

Can't wait to see you driving! :3gears:

GMCNUT June 21st, 2014 04:14 PM

man o man - what part of the United States do you have to live in to see something this cool and solid just sitting by the road....geez

PS - top money will be paid to anyone who can turn me onto a set of 60-63 solid doors like this truck has :)

Crosshairs6 June 24th, 2014 05:50 AM

GMC Nut,
I will look for you a set of doors like what is on my truck. I may know where to find them.

Crosshairs6 June 24th, 2014 06:08 AM

I have the entire fuel system back in the truck and fuel is running great to the carburetor. I put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. No leaks anywhere with the fuel lines and the gas gauge is working perfectly. I put the new plug wires and coil on today which I purchased from NAPA. I cleaned out the ignition wiring connector on the firewall with compressed air and contact cleaner after using a wire brush on the contacts. I traced the wires from the distributor and all connections look good.
I replaced the battery terminal connectors as well. I tried to start the truck this evening and I am not getting any spark at all. I assume it's the distributor (points) that are bad. I have been reading some of the posts from "Ray" regarding troubleshooting the ignition. I will try this again tomorrow. I do believe I will upgrade the points to the Pertronix ignition setup. I have also talked to Cayoterun regarding this upgrade. I would like to get the truck running with what I have now if possible. I will know more after tomorrow.

I also need to do a compression test on the engine. That is a gauge I do NOT have so I will be looking for that as well tomorrow.

Thanks for all the messages I received regarding the truck. It is just a matter if time before I have her back on the road. Thanks to all the experts on this site whose posts I have read to get me this far. More to follow!