6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50669)

GMCTom July 15th, 2019 01:27 PM

1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton :)

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. Here are some pics

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I started with the back of the truck. Everything was extremley dirty but in good condition.

We removed the whole axle with the leaf springs. Cleaning an painting was a lot of work but I think it was worth it :)

I also removed the back hangers because the rivets were damaged

Every part was blastet, primed with zinc and painted black

Ordered some new rims. Luckily, they fit ;)

Added some new brake lines in stainless steele

I try to get the original parts. The front bumper and the parts for the headlights were new chrome plated.

At the moment i removed all parts out of the cab including the doors and the glas. The front is lowered 3 inches with new springs.

Next step is to remove the cab and the engine to finish the whole frame and the control arms in front and the brakes.

I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread. :thumbsup:

GMCTom July 16th, 2019 07:38 AM

Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Now the photos should work :ahhhh:

Funky61 July 16th, 2019 01:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Tom! Beautiful truck and nice work your doing on it. What does the lettering script on the front fenders say?

GMCTom July 16th, 2019 01:44 PM

Thank you Funky61 :)

The lettering is "DP Truck Center San Diego".

I think that was the dealer. I searched the internet but found nothing.

I bought the truck with California plates.

snazzypig July 16th, 2019 05:26 PM

Beautiful restoration work!! Congratulations.

Ed Snyder July 16th, 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTom (Post 71306)
Hi,

my name is Tom and I bought a 1965 GMC V6 3/4 ton :)

At first, I was not sure if I should buy it because an American truck / car needs a V8. But the more I learn the history, the more I enjoy my decision for this engine.

Currently I'm doing a frame off restoration. I will try to keep you up to date in this Thread. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, Tom! Are the rest of the vehicles in your first photo yours too? I see a '67 to '72 GM truck there, as well as a Jeep or two.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Jolly's original site too:

Keep up the good work!

GMCTom July 17th, 2019 07:43 AM

Thank you everyone. Nice people here.

Ed, unfortunately not ;) The cars are from a friend of mine. He is the local US car dealer.

GMCTom July 25th, 2019 08:39 AM

Hi,

some update to the restoration. I cleaned the steering gear, replaced the seals, renewed the grease and paint it black.

GMCv6inND September 21st, 2019 02:35 PM

Your pickup is really coming along - keep up the great work and I’ll keep looking in on your progress. It must be a pretty good challenge restoring to this degree, so far away from all the parts sources?! I was stationed in Germany many years ago w an old Nova and my father sent me a lot of parts through the mail, including the whole exhaust system.
Your GMC is looking great!

GMCTom September 26th, 2019 12:50 PM

Thanks for your motivation :)

Concerning the parts sources you are right. Large parts like crossmember, trailing arms are hard to come by. Unfortunately, there are no US cars on our junkyards.
Everything else the price is ok, e.g. at Rockauto. Price for shipping is ok too. It is cheaper than restore a german car. The prices for spare parts for old cars like VW, Audi, Mercedes or BMW are extremely high.

Here are some new pictures for the 6066gmcclub.

Brakes, spindles, hubs, control arms, shaft, crossmember and the frame I have now completely taken apart. It is currently at sandblasting, priming and painting :D

The frame was painted in the back already by myself but in some places (rivets) unfortunately not perfect, because the rust from the surface could not be removed properly. Therefore completely sandblasting.

One question to all: on the last picture I've found this spring on the frame. What is the task of the spring?

The next pictures show the pedals, which are back from powder coating. They still have to be mounted.

I will post the photos in the next few days.

James September 27th, 2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTom (Post 71469)
Thanks for your motivation :)

One question to all: on the last picture I've found this spring on the frame. What is the task of the spring?

I believe that the return spring for the clutch fork.

GMCTom October 24th, 2019 08:12 AM

Here are the promised photos of the restored pedal unit :)

Completely sandblasted, zinc primed and powdercoated. Screws are sandblasted and black galvanized.

I also replaced the bushings with new ones.

jbgroby October 25th, 2019 01:33 PM

Great looking ride, taking her down to teh ground is the only true way to know shes been treated right. BTW I do love the view of the Mountains.

tbucketnut November 3rd, 2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 71476)
I believe that the return spring for the clutch fork.

Believe the spring is to return the clutch bell crank, I'll double check on mine, I have the sm420 transmission, but any standard will have the return spring.
Steve

GMCTom November 4th, 2019 10:16 AM

Thank you everybody.

Ed: if you like the mountains I have a lot of pictures :D

Steve and James: if I understand correctly, the spring is hung here (photo)?

BTW: the frame is now sandblasted and painted. Also the crossmember and the control arms. I want to mount the parts in a few days to post new pictures :)

tbucketnut November 4th, 2019 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I dont think that is the correct spring, the spring your showing looks more like the one found on the emergency brake assembly to the back equalizing plate.
Here is the pic of my spring on the clutch bell crank. Hope this helps. My truck is a 64 so maybe different.

1st pic is clutch second pic is ebrake.

James November 4th, 2019 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GMCTom that is the correct spring. You should also have a stiff wire to extend the spring so it can connect to the clutch fork, see the picture of mine. it should be a long coil spring not a short one. I also have the spring that tbucket show for the parking/emergency brake.

tbucketnut November 5th, 2019 05:49 AM

James, that means mine is probably wrong then. Your setup looks exactly like my 53 truck though, same spring and stiff wire extender.

GMCTom November 5th, 2019 09:05 AM

James, Steve, thank you a lot for the pictures.

I think I have the solution. The probably best wife in the world gave me the maintenance manual of my GMC truck to my birthday :D

The spring is the right one. It is connected to a link (bended wire). This link is conencted to the frame. The other end of the spring is connected to the release fork of the clutch. Don't know if it is allowed to post a picture out of the manual.

Thank you for the note regarding the spring of the handbrake. This one is missing completely :ahhhh:

GMCTom November 5th, 2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 71629)
GMCTom that is the correct spring. You should also have a stiff wire to extend the spring so it can connect to the clutch fork, see the picture of mine. it should be a long coil spring not a short one. I also have the spring that tbucket show for the parking/emergency brake.

Yes this is the right combination. Maybe you can tell me how long the stiff wire is?

James November 5th, 2019 09:26 AM

My clutch spring extension wire is 6" long.

GMCTom November 25th, 2019 08:44 AM

At the moment winter is coming but the show must go on :winter:

I sandblasted and galvanized all screws black. Yesterday I mounted the crossmember.

Next step is the control arm on the left side. This parts are also back from sandblasting and powdercoating.

tbucketnut November 26th, 2019 01:50 PM

Looks great Tom, very fine workmanship, thanks for the pictures. Sending a PM.

GMCTom January 8th, 2020 09:18 AM

Hi,

small update on the project. In the last days I mounted the crossmember for the handbrake

Next step was to mount the upper and lower control arm. I got the screws back from black coating. I installed the lower control arm despite the problem with the dimension of the shaft (see the following link)

I have to cut new threads on the bolts of the upper control arm. The old ones are damaged. The next thing was to install the tank. I painted it black. I think that goes great with the rest ;)

I have also started to install the brake line. This is also done in stainless steel. A two-circuit system with the master cylinder of a 1967 GMC is also planned.

I'll post photos of it when I'm done.

tbucketnut January 8th, 2020 02:32 PM

Hi Tom,
As always your attention to detail is unsurpassed. Your chassis looks amazing. I really enjoy reading and seeing your progress on your GMC. Your build really sets the bar high for frame off restorations.
I have used the 3/8" aluminum soft tubing for fuel line too with really good results when I built my T bucket in 2011. It works great and forms well to the frame irregularities and is easily clamped using rubber lined clamps. I would suggest installing one of these fuel filters as close to the fuel tank as possible with a 1/4 turn petcock too. It has a replaceable filter and will insure the fuel is perfectly clean to the carburetor. It is substantial in size (filter medium)and a standard manual fuel pump will easily draw through it.

I hope I am allowed to insert this link,it is not to promote summitracing but to show as an example the type/size of filter only. Many other companies sell them.

Keep up the good work, it is not always easy to put on the warm clothes and get out the to work when it is winter.

Steve

GMCTom January 9th, 2020 07:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Steve,
thank you for your comment and your honest opinion. I will still be embarrassed :D
That with the fuel filter would be a good idea, since I'm not quite sure what to install here.
I will post a few pictures below of what the constellation looked like when it was purchased.
The original fuel pump was installed against an electric one, if I see it correctly. A filter was also installed shortly before the carburetor. I don't know whether that was so good or bad. Maybe you have a few more tips. Can I use the pump again in the pictures?
Tom

James January 9th, 2020 11:10 PM

GMCTom where did you get that thermostat housing? I can't find one to fit my 64.

jagarra January 10th, 2020 03:27 PM

From your pictures it looks like the previous owner installed the electric fuel pump where the original gas filter was located. Those holes in the frame were the mounting point for the bracket housing/filter assembly. Originally the fuel line was a steel line from the filter on the frame to the fuel pump, steel to the carburetor. The original had a screw on cover with a canister type filter inside, the filter insert still available from NAPA. (I had to buy a special size filter wrench to unscrew mine to prevent damage) the style that was reference from Summit is close to what was there originally.
You are doing a fantastic job on your restoration.:goodjob:

regards,

GMCTom February 26th, 2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 71893)
GMCTom where did you get that thermostat housing? I can't find one to fit my 64.

Hi James,

sorry about the late reply. I have currently checked the housing on the engine, but unfortunately I cannot find a manufacturer or a logo. The previous owner has already assembled it.

If I disassemble the engine, I will send you detailed photos.

GMCTom February 26th, 2020 08:47 AM

Time for an update ;)

Installed the anker plate with new lowering spring (3") and new ball joints on the lower and upper control arm.

Also installed the overhauled steering gear (new seals, new grease, paint...)

Derusted, cleaned and painted the hubs. They also get new bearings and seals.

I also preinstalled the steering arms

Next step were the brakes. I blasted all springs, sheet metal parts and galvanized them new. The passenger side was preinstalled.

Installed the hub, the drum and the wheel with the new tire :D

In the next two weeks the chassis should be ready for a photo shooting outside :upyes:

tbucketnut February 29th, 2020 02:23 PM

As usual Tom your workmanship is unparalleled. Your brakes look twice the size as my 1000 trucks. Congrats on getting it to a rolling chassis. Keep up the good work.

Zorba March 1st, 2020 03:55 PM

WOW! That is impressive.

GMCTom May 13th, 2020 01:01 PM

I hope everybody is fine :thumbsup:

The last weeks I installed the brake lines again (dual circuit)

Next project was the Muncie 318 transmission

Next thing was fun. Someone pressed a further washer into the main drive gear. I think this was the reason why the rear bearing of the main shaft was broken. The additional washer pushed the main shaft backwards.

I also found the speedometer from 1965 :D

After disassemling the transmission I cleaned and painted the housing

Started with assembling. New bearings, needles,

Next step is the steering column and the engine. the engine is currently dismantled. Update will follow as soon as possible ;)

GMCTom June 10th, 2020 12:16 PM

Update-Time :)

As I said, the next step is the steering column. Currently I have disassembled, blasted and powder coated the steering column. Next step is to assemble it. I also painted the first parts by myself. I think it's not so bad.

There is only a little problem with the plug of the turn signal. The counterpart on the wiring harness is unfortunately no longer available. Someone was playing with a knife. Unfortunately, the connector can no longer be bought. I will probably lay the cables straight through and connect them with solder connectors.

The most difficult decision for me was the choice of color for the truck . I've been most concerned about it for the past two years. The decision was made for Fawn for the interior and Light Blue for the exterior. The roof top turns white. I think that goes well together. I bought extra original color cards on eBay.

The first engine parts have already been painted. Please don't hit me, but the red from Ford worked best :D

Now the pictures for you. If someone needs detailed photos, please contact me.

Funky61 June 10th, 2020 06:22 PM

Beautiful detail and work GMCTOM! The Ford red looks right on the mark. :welldone:

snazzypig June 11th, 2020 04:09 AM

Outstanding work GMCTom!! I can see many happy hours of labor there.

GMCTom June 15th, 2020 06:25 AM

Hello friends

Thank you for your positive feedback. That motivates me in my project. Special thanks to Steve for his help by mail :)

GMCTom July 17th, 2020 07:54 AM

Steering column is almost finished.

This website was useful.

What is still missing is a new turn signal switch for resetting the lever. It's available at LMC. Here some photos.

Ccsmith August 2nd, 2020 04:22 PM

Wow! The work you have done is really impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMCTom August 17th, 2020 08:40 AM

Thank you Ccsmith :thumbsup:

At the moment the engine is in progress. Cleaned and painted it the last weeks.
Next step is to change the timing chain. The plan is also to put the engine back into the frame over the next 3-4 weeks.
I'm currently waiting for the newly galvanized screws.

The part with the aluminum foil looks like from outer space but its cheap and fast :D