6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tailgate Color? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48765)

Quigley April 29th, 2015 10:35 PM

Tailgate Color?

:banghead: I was wondering what color to paint the GMC emblem and surround on my tailgate. If I remember right it was a faded silver color before the restoration. Am I thinking right? Its been awhile. ( truck is terrace blue) Thanks, Dave

bigblockv6 April 30th, 2015 02:31 AM

Re: Tailgate Color?

The color is basically an aluminum silver PPG number 8568, also called Non Smudge aluminum, GM called it argent silver. This color was used for many years by multiple GM divisions, wheels were also painted this color. GMC tailgate letters and back grounds were painted this color up to 1969.

1960HDGMC May 1st, 2015 01:37 PM

Dave, I taped and painted my 1960 GMC Fleetside with this exact paint number. I had it mixed at the local auto paint shop. They put it in an aerosol can for me. 25bucks. I sprayed several light coats until it was evenly covered. No sealer,no nothing else. I touch it today and it does not smudge. It looks totally original. BTW,it reflects at night like a lazer. Very good safety idea. Later, GM

1960HDGMC May 1st, 2015 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a before and after. I wish I could get a good picture at night. It just looks light it is glowing when your headlights hit it. Almost like a special effect in the paint.

1960HDGMC May 1st, 2015 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a during picture. It demonstrates the taping job. It took a while to get the tape down. And I took my time spraying too. I let it dry completely between coats. Started first coat one evening, next coat next day. I think I got good coverage after three or four coats. Get the tape off as soon as the paint feels dry to the touch. If left on until the paint is fully cured, it can make a nightmare come true. Good luck with your project, GM

bigblockv6 May 1st, 2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 57745)
Here are a before and after. I wish I could get a good picture at night. It just looks light it is glowing when your headlights hit it. Almost like a special effect in the paint.

The color has a very fine metallic in it so that's what gives it the effect at night.

1960HDGMC May 1st, 2015 06:26 PM

You are right. The first time I pulled the car in at night and the headlights hit the tailgate, I was shocked at just how reflective this paint really is. It almost looks white in the daylight, but at night it looks like it is backlit with LEDs.

bigblockv6 May 1st, 2015 06:42 PM

Definitely better than painting them white, I see some paint them white because Chevrolet did theirs that way. By 1980 GMC no longer painted the letters or background in aluminum, they just used black, white or one of the two tone body colors like Chevrolet did, obviously it was an assembly line procedure, a sign that GMC trucks were assembled together with Chevrolet Trucks.

bigblockv6 May 1st, 2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 57752)
Definitely better than painting them white, I see some paint them white because Chevrolet did theirs that way. By 1980 GMC no longer painted the letters or background in aluminum, they just used black, white or one of the two tone body colors like Chevrolet did, obviously it was an assembly line procedure, a sign that GMC trucks were assembled together with Chevrolet Trucks.

Sorry , I meant 1970 not 1980.:lolsmack2::ahhhh:

Onuma May 1st, 2015 09:17 PM

I had no idea it should be Argent Silver, but that sounds like it could look great.

Obviously, my own truck's tailgate has seen better days...and was at least once the victim of some dumb kid with a rattle-can professing his love for his [probably now-ex-] girlfriend :D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s...o/IMG_8065.JPG